WORDS I HATE/LOVE

Elevate form over function to get at less easily articulable truths.

Re: WORDS I HATE/LOVE

Postby tentative » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:46 pm

AnitaS wrote:
    :) I’ll take that as rainey’s tactful, kind way of telling me to stop harassing him. 8-[

However, if your alternately-directed writing is suitable for sharing.... Hey, can't blame a girl for trying! Okay, okay, I got that outa my system, so I promise I'll stop now.

No no no! Don't stop! Men love to be harassed by a beautiful woman. Isn't that right, rainey? Otherwise, we just end up bated... errr, or something. :-"

But Anita is right, So if it isn't poetry, what is it and why not let us have a look see?
    IGAYRCCFYVM
    Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

I don't take know for an answer.
    tentative

Postby Calrid » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:53 pm

tentative wrote:When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie... Who the hell would write something like that? :-&

Dean Martin. ;)

TBH they are far from the worst lyrics in the world, Lady Gaga for example has the patent on gibberish.
    “I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.”

Oscar Wilde - probably.
    Calrid
    Philosopher

Postby AnitaS » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:29 am

tentative wrote:No no no! Don't stop! Men love to be harassed by a beautiful woman.
      Oh JT, you’re so sweet, you know flattery will get you everywhere, which is why I’ll be happy to come over and help you find your glasses.

Calrid wrote:TBH they are far from the worst lyrics in the world, Lady Gaga for example has the patent on gibberish.
      I like the word gibberish a lot; I think it sounds much better than it looks.

“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs.”
      - Leo Tolstoy

"Fair and softly goes far."
      - Miguel de Cervantes
      AnitaS
      Philosopher

Postby tentative » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:38 am

Calrid wrote:
      tentative wrote:When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie... Who the hell would write something like that? :-&

Dean Martin. ;)

TBH they are far from the worst lyrics in the world, Lady Gaga for example has the patent on gibberish.

Dammit! Now you made me go look it up. '....is a 1952 song by composer Harry Warren and lyricist Jack Brooks.' (from wiki) So now I hate Jack Brooks whoever the hell he was. I even like Martin singing the song, but the lyrics were sooooo Cleaverland It was gaggy in the extreme.

Gaga? Yeah, I'm sure she has some talents, but wordsmith isn't one of them. Gaga and gaggy... coincidence?
      IGAYRCCFYVM
      Sorry, arguing with the ignorant is like trying to wrestle with a jellyfish. No matter how many tentacles you cut off there are always more, and there isn't even a brain to stun. - Maia

tentative

Postby tentative » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:47 am

Anita offers,
      Oh JT, you’re so sweet, you know flattery will get you everywhere, which is why I’ll be happy to come over and help you find your glasses.

Hurry over! Being visually challenged, I just feel around till I find what I'm looking for... 8)

Hey rainey! Top THAT one! :lol: :lol:

Gibberish.. sounds like a deli delight. "I'll have a gibberish sandwich. Hold the mayo."
      IGAYRCCFYVM

tentative

Postby Slow John » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:40 am

You don't have to be old to know about FS. He's an icon. I mean, most of the people we talk about in these hallowed halls are way older than FS. I like Dean Martin, I'm just saying Fuck and Shit are like the two king daddy words in terms of swears. Fuck is primary, Shit is supporting, but still formidable.

I wasn't born until several years after Frank Sinatra turned 50. In the nineties my hipster friends and I watched movies and danced to Sinatra. Swingin' had a brief chicness in the 80s and 90s. SNL sketches, Ray Liotta film. All that stuff. Just cuz you're old doesn't mean I am.

:banana-dance:

Can I post that emoticon ironically, pls? Can we have that agreement going forward? Just so it's understood.

ballyhoo, rigamarole, druthers, hoopla, qualms, ps and qs, these words and expressions, make me laugh, but only said ironically with a straight face.

I want to write stuff worth reading. But if I can't do that, I'll settle for writing stuff worth writing. – Gamer
      Slow John

Postby von Rivers » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:59 am

I like the word toilet. I mean the french one. Toi-let. Elegent, numinous. Composed. It should have been used to name something in the sky, instead. And the 't' should be silent.

Maybe the 't' is silent, and I'm pronouncing it wrong.

I also like the word cunt, for different reasons. I think whoever coined it was a practical person. And might have believed that sounds could mirror the world. It's the sort of word that should replace the polite words for the same thing, so that teenagers can get a better sense of the dangers of unprotected sex.
      Last edited by von Rivers on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
      von Rivers
      ILP Legend

Postby tentative » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:55 am

Slow John wrote:You don't have to be old to know about FS. He's an icon. I mean, most of the people we talk about in these hallowed halls are way older than FS. I like Dean Martin, I'm just saying Fuck and Shit are like the two king daddy words in terms of swears. Fuck is primary, Shit is supporting, but still formidable.

I wasn't born until several years after Frank Sinatra turned 50. In the nineties my hipster friends and I watched movies and danced to Sinatra. Swingin' had a brief chicness in the 80s and 90s. SNL sketches, Ray Liotta film. All that stuff. Just cuz you're old doesn't mean I am.

Can I post that emoticon ironically, pls? Can we have that agreement going forward? Just so it's understood.

ballyhoo, rigamarole, druthers, hoopla, qualms, ps and qs, these words and expressions, make me laugh, but only said ironically with a straight face.

OK, g. I'll give you back 20 years, but that is the limit - as long as we accept being a child and an ancient at the same time.

You realize you're killing the banana, don't you? Like the pink flamingos in your front yard, they're only cool till you make fun of them.

I don't know if words can be made ironic or not. Thats the fun of words. Pats and darts, swirled in the fog of intent and cursed language. We believe in our words, and we make them up as fast as we can. Perhaps the irony is granting them power in the first place. But that has always been the problem with language; it's made up of words. :roll:

Next hated word: superlicious - it doesn't just taste good, it's SUPERLICIOUS!
      IGAYRCCFYVM

tentative

Postby FilmSnob » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:33 am

Cacophony.

Gorrilaz gave me that word one day and it was sublime, look for the song "a mountain called monkey." Not really a stand-alone kind of word, but A powerful start to a powerful phrase (powerful in the barroque sense of the word).

Heed me, minstrels of Perth! A cacophony of indestructible... shit, someone help me out here.
      FilmSnob
      ex-Pezer

Postby rainey » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Fluctuate.

(And the ingenious use of the shortened version: "in a state of flux".)
      There's an underlying intelligence to the universe (call it God, if you must) and it is our purpose to give this intelligence form and meaning. --G.S. Payne
      rainey
      Philosopher

Previous

Return to Creative Writing