Second Father

Death sits across from me.

I don’t know what to say.

I look at it directly.

It’s been sitting there calmly the whole time.

I’ve tried desperately to ignore it.

My mind is consumed by it.

All my actions are guided by it.

My identity is the remnants of what has endured it’s gaze.

Life, creativity, growth, love, joy.

You’re a second father.

You’re unrelenting.

You force me to react.

I’m better that I know you.

But damned if you’re my core.

I deny it.

Your power is with what you can take away.

I already have my core.

It’s not you.

I know you.

I will continue to make fuel of you.

I like this Joe. I’m fascinated by musings on death. Not too sure why; probably lots of reasons I won’t explore here suffice to say death is a black door that opens inward where our mundane sensors can’t reach. All we can do is peer into the blackness and wonder.

My maternal great grandparents where Arabs (Babylon) so a lot of Arab stories got passed down; one of which was this:

Once upon a time :smiley: , a rich Arab merchant visited a famous soothsayer in the hope of increasing his wealth. The soothsayer told the merchant that his desire would not be granted because Death was already on his way. The merchant panicked then raced back to his home to make preparations. He then took what riches he could carry and left the city in a race to evade Death when he came looking for him.

A few days into his journey across the desert, the merchant saw a horseman coming in the other direction. As the two horses approached each other, the merchant’s horse jumped up in fright throwing the merchant to the ground and hitting his head upon a rock. The rider, still on his black horse, approached the dying man and stood over him blocking out the sun. Upon looking up, the merchant whispered with his remaining breath
“I’m surprised to see you here, Death. I was told you were coming to my town so I ran away.”
“I am also surprised" Death replied "because I was coming to meet you in your beautiful home several days hence and take you in your sleep.”

There’s another way of looking at that. It seems to me, according to your poem, that death has given you far more than it could ever take from you.
Have you ever asked Death to speak to you? I mean, it also has its own point of view, doesn’t it?

Life & Death (II)

Arc,

Thank you for the guidance.

Death doesn’t have bad intent for me. He is not my enemy, just misunderstood.

Death loves me just as much as my mother, Life.

However, he will take the role of the strict enforcer if necessary.

He doesn’t seek to be liked. He seeks to do the right thing.

He isn’t prejudiced against my current state.

He looks at a wider scope.

He says, ‘You like how you are now. I know. But you must grow, you need to be strong. I’m going to break you down. When you pick up the remnants, you’ve an opportunity to build the strongest version of yourself yet.’

Or, ‘I have many children to attend to. You’ve had your time, it’s time to step aside and give others the room to spread their wings. Be brave, we’ll come back for you’.

Or, ‘You’ve journeyed with your mother for some time. Now it’s time for you to come with me on a journey. I’ve much to teach you.’

The cherished memories.

Spaces of purity and beauty.

They sing and dance with my heart - my soul.

Their resonations could fill an eternity with warmth.

I’d do it all again.

I wish to do it all again.

BenJS

I suppose that one might say that death is misunderstood by reason of our fears and our lack of realization/appreciation of the wisdom which Death offers in showing us that life may not last forever, to live it to the fullest NOW.
Aside from that, death is neutral.

Oh, at first I read this the wrong way.
Hmmm - but I’m not so sure of that. Life offers us many more benefits and opportunies than death does obviously - unless we are in deep pain or dying from a disease. But contemplating one’s own death is a great tool for moving on in life.

For example?

…and what may this wider scope be called?

So with the above, I gather you are speaking here about those day-to-day mini deaths as I call them? Or the ones which can be agonizing. I’ve always felt that the more of these that we have the easier that ultimate death will be - even though detaching can be … lol
The more profound the pain, loss and chaos is - the more profound the growth and the joy too. Death and life in harmony.

Yes, Death always returns. I wonder - if life returns? But that’s another set of questions. :laughing:

Which Death are you speaking of here - the final one or the mini ones?
There may not be anything to teach on that final one - and if we return we may not remember anything - but if we do return, wouldn’t it be wonderful if we could remember or at least intuit things?