Eyes and sleep

Are you an alien who has learnt to mimic the human anatomy?

Truth please.

Precisely.

And, i think that it is leitimate question why sleep entails complete turn-off in the case of eyes only, but not other sense organs.

No, James.

This does not seem to be the case of using what is available at the moment.

Firstly, if that was true, humans would have evolved having some lids to ears and nose too.

Secondly, It is known fact that light music does not cause trouble in sleeping. On the contrary, it acts as a catalyst.

In all cultures around the would, there is tradition of singing lallbies while making the children sleep. And, besides the tradition, it actually helps.

Thirdly, if you ever noticed and all mothers here would be aware of the fact that sometimes mother even stroke the child in a rhythmatic manner on the head or back to make him sleep. It means that his touch organ (skin) is continuously in action, but instead of causing restraint, it helps the sleeping process.

This phenomenon can be seen in the adults too. Many people cannot help but start napping as soon as they sit in the bus or train, even when they are sitting not lying horizontally. They would not be still, their bodies would be moving here and there but still all that does not restrict sleeping. But, as soon as it comes to eyes, all disturbance is prohibited. One can use all his sense organs mildly except eyes.

There must be some valid reason.

with love,
sanjay

Ben,

I am quite surprised that you did not get that.

with love,
sanjay

Thanks for accepting my request.

I would ask only one question at a time.

The first thing that i want to know is that how you draw reference to the things/people? What is the root of your mechaniscm of remembering things?

Let me elaborate it further.

In the case of persons having vision, the first referance to the remembrance is the very picture of that thing in the most of the cases. Means, as soon as i think of my died mother, before anything else, her image comes to my mind, no matter in which context i am remembering her.

But, i want to know how you do it? What exactly comes to your mind first of all, when you think of anything?

Maia, the question is bit tricky. You have to pay attention to the working of your mind before answering it. You may take your time.

with love,
sanjay

With people I know, it is their smell that I think of first, which is always unique and distinctive. Followed quickly by their voice, of course, but smell is first, and cannot be disguised. With inanimate objects, it is their shape. If you just said a random name of an object to me, say, scissors, the shape would immedately pop into my mind, along with texture, and so on.

Seriously???

You believe that the entire process of evolution is founded upon the need for sleep? That there is no reason for anything to have evolved in another direction, a direction of greater importance? Come on, now.

I said that it was “calmness” that the brain sought. That would include gentle soothing motion and sounds because they inherently obscure more disturbing sensations … into calmness. People would have very little trouble sleeping with a very low soft level of light as well if they hadn’t become accustom to less, but they would still have that dehydration issue. Rhythmic lighting can put you to sleep as easily as stroking sensations.

I never said that. I am not sure from what you got that impression.
I am merely saying that sleep is a process of daily use, thus, if other lids were necessary for it, nature would have been made provisions like eyelids. It does not mean that it is the sole aim of the evolution.

The real issue is shutting the eyes, not the soft or harsh light. I am not sure that rhythmic light would have same effect as rhythmic stroking. It is the matter of verification.

James, as I said in my reply to phoneutria, blinking is much like breathing. It oprates in both ways, intentionally and automatic too. We need not to think for blinking so a sleeping person also can do that, just like the case of breathing.

Secondly, in you look carefully, even soring of eyes takes some time to reach any uncomfortable level. Means, soring of eyes is not an obstacle in the intial period of process of falling asleep. The trouble would come after some time and eyes can be shut at that moment.

But, the fact of the matter is that the process of falling asleep cannot be even initiated without stutting the eyes.

with love,
sanjay

Okay.

The second question is that how you make point of reference to distant things, which you can neither smell, hear nor have any idea of their shape.

Like, what comes to your mind first of all, when anybody talk about ILP, or such a person or thing which you can never have interacted in any way in person, like members of ILP, with whom you interact through net?

with love,
sanjay

With distant objects, I use echo location, which most people who were born blind have the ability to do (though it varies from person to person). I make a series of rapid clicks with my tongue and I can judge the distance of objects and people up to about 30 feet or so away, and even their size and shape to a certain extent.

The only thing I think of when I think of posters here is their user name.

Sleeping with eyes partially open is really common.
Tell me you’ve never seen this before…

The obvious guess is that the muscles related to blinking are given a chance to rest in the same way other muscles rest when we sleep; however, I have read that this isn’t actually the case: Blinking and Sleep

At any rate, it is convenient for the eyes to close and remain closed during sleep. Closed eyes block light that may interfere with melatonin production, use less energy than blinking eyes, and prevent dryness and contamination. So it would make sense if this adaptation had been selected over blinking eyes.

No worries. When I said nice picture, I meant nice avatar. I knew it might not have been you, but you still chose it as your face for ILP.

Fuse,

I am afraid that argument does not hold water.

There are many musles and organs which never take rest and work thoughout the life, from birth till death. Like heart, brain or lever. Actually, most of the organs/musles use to work during the sleep too, including the mind.

Even the musles of the eye use to work during the sleep, that is precisely why it is called REM ( rapid eye movement ). So, if some other musles of the eye can work in the night, there is no reason why eyelids cannot do that.

with love,
sanjay

Okay.

Though, i have some doubts that it was nice. To me, it was just okay, neither good nor bad. But, it is what it is and i do not want to present someone else’s face to represent myself.

Secondly,i had to request to my son to do that as i am almost computer illiterate when it goes beyond simple typing and posting and that required a lot of adjusting of pixels and size.

with love,
sanjay

duplicate

It happens but you cannot say that it is common. It is rare phenomenon and is considered some sort of abnormality too.

Secondly, if you look carefully, even in those cases, the pupil and lens keep behind the half-closed eyelid. So, technically speaking, eyes still remain closed even eyelids do not shut complete eyes. Till the moment the pupil and lens do not come in the open, the functioning of the eyes cannot start.

with love,
sanjay

We sleep when it’s dark. Not much to see. Might as well protect the eyes from bacteria, bugs, airborne irritants and sharp objects when they are not in use.

Actually, i have already considered all these arguments of blinking, eyelids, soring, darkness etc before posting the OP. The only new argument that i was unaware of, came from Mithus. That harmone and its funtion was a new thing for me, though it still does not serve the purpose.

I am sure that no biological/anatomical explanation of this phenomenon is even possible. That line of argument would not work. It is the issue related to mind and its functioning only, not the body/eye. The eye itself, as a sense organ, has nothing to do with it.

That is why i asked Maia to join the thread. She is the only person who can help.

with love,
sanjay

Really?
Eyelids evolved so the explanation must be biological.

The only thing the mind cares about is getting the neurology to quiet down so that more subtle adjustments in health can take place and a reasonable amount of order might be established.