Anticipation: Teasing Hope

Anticipation is the act of expecting something and emotionally responding to its occurrence before it has occurred, euphemistically known as “counting your chickens before they hatch”.

One can anticipate an upcoming bad or upcoming good occurrence. And during that anticipation time one will feel either good or bad, “in anticipation”. If the occurrence turns out to be good, a mild catharsis takes place and if bad, a mild trauma takes place.

Catharses and traumas have a greater effect upon a mind than slowly building effects due to greater memory impact from the sudden contrast or change in sensation when the event actually takes place. And because they are remembered longer, they have a greater effect upon future subtle, intuitive decisions. Even though more good has occurred over a longer period of time, sudden bad events can yield the subconscious conclusion that more bad has occurred, and visa versa. This is a naturally occurring error of neural networks such as a brain.

Teasing hope with anticipation of positive events can have very negative effects if not done properly. If one arbitrary or randomly anticipates a good occurrence (eg. winning the lottery) disappointment will be the result far more often than not. With each disappointment, a mild trauma takes place and is remembered longer than the fewer wins.

This effect conditions or trains the mind to expect the worse concerning any and every type of anticipation of positive and a looming sense of negativity grows in the mind. That subtle sense of living in a negative environment causes the reaction of more desperately seeking greater hope with even greater anticipation. Greater risks are often taken yielding even greater disappointments. Self-confidence is lost and by the behavior feeding itself in such a way, addictions can be instilled favoring negative behaviors, such as risky gambling. Before long, the low self-confidence is justified.

So arbitrarily teasing hope with anticipation, trying to arbitrarily maintain a positive attitude, is generally not a good idea because random events will bring more negative effect than positive, making the effort even more difficult. It is much like teasing a dog. And the reverse, teasing depression, does not achieve the reverse effect, but rather simply maintains the belief that there really is no hope (over punishing the dog).

In order to build a positive attitude without the risk of causing the opposite, careful moderation of anticipation must be accepted. Most people do this instinctively and have little need to think about it. In general, one must take care to “not build hopes up to high” concerning any singular event, because the downfall of disappointment will be worse than the celebratory elation can compensate and if continued, will lead to general sustained negativity and possibly long term depression wherein there is little to no anticipation of hope accepted.

Treatment
To moderate ones anticipation, a reasonably sensed probability concerning upcoming occurrences must be learned and that takes time. If one only anticipates positive events before they actually do occur, a gradual sense of security and positiveness will become instilled.

Bipolar swings of mood, even manic-depression, is most often caused by biological interference of the neurology resulting in hormone instability, but can be treated and often overcome psychologically, depending on the severity of the neurological damage and the environment from which it invades.

What we call “intuition” is merely the brain’s natural statistics and probability calculator using its own natural and subtle form of unconscious mathematics. But in a very obfuscated environment, such as life in modern industrialized nations, the natural mind needs a little cognitive help. And that can be achieved by simply tracking ones moods so as to remind the mind of its own reactions day by day. The mind begins to see itself separate from the subtle causes of its reactions, its mood swings or sense of general good or bad. And from that tracking, the mind automatically begins to compensate as if to say, “Oh, this is just one of those things again. No need to worry or get too excited”.

Tracking ones moods is a bit tedious, but pretty simple merely by keeping a diary of feelings. The diary serves to bring attention to the positive and negative mood swings and their apparent causes. Simply by reviewing the diary, the mind automatically begins to compensate and sharp mood swings begin to calm and become more subtle. Eventually events that would have triggered serious anger or lust are automatically countered within the mind, yielding little or no reaction at all. The resultant effect is a much more stable, constant mood with only slight natural variations.

And along with the greater stability by such a means, comes the ability to choose a positive stability rather than negative. This too tends to be automatic.

After some experience with such a diary, a person can see the kinds of things that generally trigger good feelings, “smile events”, and when they most often occur. Thus the mind can learn to anticipate hope only when such triggers are highly probable. By practicing that anticipation rather than arbitrary positive anticipation, the general and subtle feeling of good becomes the normal sense of the person, because the person more greatly knows when to expect good or bad.

Don’t Be Afraid to Smile
Please realize that when I say “a smile event”, I am not talking about an event that necessarily inspires a literal smile, but rather merely events that can be appreciated, such as; the smell of coffee in the morning, the green on the trees, a sexy woman walking by, fresh morning air, the softness of bed sheets, the cleanliness of ones restroom, the reliability of the affection from a friend or love, the very low probability of actual threats going to or from work, the comfort of a particular chair, a favorite TV program, or even perhaps a day wherein something unexpectedly bad didn’t occur. Even the physical act of forcing a smile can trigger a mild feeling of joy. Look for reasons to smile, not reasons to avoid smiling.

As is often said, “Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to”. In one anecdotal case, a man had come up nose-to-nose with me announcing, “I am going to fuck you up!”. I hesitated for a short moment then gently smiled and softly replied, “Yeah, probably”. He immediately displayed that he was perplexed by my reaction and lacked anything to say. That was just enough time for me to begin my explanation of why he should reconsider. Fortunately, he did reconsider and the possible violence was diverted.

In addition to creating a positive sense, the mind also automatically learns how to make wiser decisions and increase the number and type of things that bring joy and thus it begins to reinforce its own sense of security and positiveness. Rational positivity becomes the mind’s habit and addiction.

It doesn’t really matter how many things bring a sense of joy in the beginning as long as the smile events are tracked. Others will begin to appear. And eventually the mind will find that no matter how bad things seem to be or really are, it can always find a reason to feel good anyway simply because it can, without being deluded by a fantasy or attempting to inappropriately handle threatening situations. And as the feeling of security and hope grows, known bad habits or addictions become much easier to simply decide to stop. One learn how to think to himself, “I don’t HAVE to feel bad, regardless of this event” because feeling bad usually only makes things worse.

Thus I advise people to keep a “diary of their smiles”. Each day estimate about how much time was spent smiling (or just feeling good), even if that is a very low figure. And along with the time record, record what the apparent immediate cause could have been, understanding it to be simply a guess. It would also be good to keep the same kind of record regarding bad feelings and their probable causes.

If such a record is kept long enough (perhaps a year or few), even a seriously depressed or manic-depressive person can change themselves into what would seem a saint of positive attitude, “the smiling Buddha”. Of course in a world filled with desperation to feel good immediately along with convenient means to do so regardless of their consequences, such a tedious task might be difficult to maintain. But there are subtle ways to more greatly inspire that discipline also.

In Summery
The inherent purpose of every life is to gain the greatest degree of feeling good (“joy”) for the longest amount of time (the very inspiration of the concepts of Eternal Heaven and Hell). As society or nature becomes more complex, such a task easily overwhelms the mind and thus most creatures do not do it well. They either do what feels good immediately at the sacrifice of longevity, or sacrifice their joy for sake of greater longevity. The best balance is not easily discerned. Man, having a cognitive ability unknown to other creatures, has the opportunity to rise above the confusion simply by understanding the goal, the Integral of Joy Over Time, IJOT, and how to help his own mind and life toward that goal. Keeping a “Diary of Joy” is one simple means that other creatures haven’t the ability to do.

I agree up to the point you introduced other creatures as comparisons. In what you said its like comparing apples and beef. Both have similarities but, are not even close.

You don’t believe yourself to be an advanced creature relative to others?

:slight_smile: Just gotta poke a rib donchya.
I do believe but, the why causes the comparison to be wrong. First it is well known that the varied and omnivorous diet that humans have changed our minds drastically. Being highly social activates parts of the brain, emotions do as well. We humans while being animals, have nothing to compare to in the way you do. The closest maybe the Orca or Dolphin. Even then, no.

So you believe that you understand the minds and motivations of animals enough to declare the feminine homosapian has nothing to do with them? :-s

Well, mostly male scientists and doctors wrote what I have read, I can’t recall any female written works.

Don’t be fooled by thinking that because the author was supposed to be a male, that what is being expressed is a male’s perspective. Males and females preach to subdue women in the most subtle, devious, and insidious ways.

But back to my question. Do you believe that homosapian is so far removed from animal as to not have anything of relevance in common?

ROFL, I was speaking of your comparison. Not all.

Well, the only comparison that I made was that homosapian has a cognitive ability that other creatures don’t have and that homosapian can keep a diary. Surely you don’t believe that other creatures are keeping diaries, so that must mean that you believe something about that cognitive ability. Could you try to be just a little more vague, because I can almost figure out what you are saying? :-k

It was the way you compared more than anything else. Animals could not have cognitive abilities due to diet, social and the varied emotions. The reasons for our brain evolution removes comparison. Other animals would have to have gone down our path for your comparison. Few have even become omnivores.

Emmm…

What difference does it make why homosapian ended up different when merely making a comparison of current states?

“The reasons for our brain evolution removes comparison.”
How can you say that it evolved if you can’t compare it ?

In your summary, you declare the purpose of life. Your comparison gives non sentient animals the purpose of humans. Its not possible. The brains have not developed the same. Identical drives are possible, not probable though.

Oh, I see where you were going now.

It just so happens that in fact, every single thing that we call “life” has a fundamental make up that is abstractly identical. That is why we call all of them by the same name, “life”. And humans have an extra extended faculty which allows them to somewhat arbitrarily choose discreet goals that often appear to be completely independent of the fundamental process that brought such goals to mind. The other creatures can’t mental form that type of cognitive function. They cannot plan ahead to build something (for example) before building it.

That mental cognitive capacity has the drawback that it can cause a mind to forget the initial purpose it had in forming a goal. And when that happens the goal becomes disassociated with the instinctive concerns of the life that inspired it. And such disassociation can build into complex pursuits that are often self-defeating. But such things also give rise to complex social interactions that form social norms, ethics, morals, and laws.

But despite the relative disassociation that gives the impression of total arbitrary independence from the fundamental process that life is, at the “ground level” or “basic heart” of it all, all of the complex social activities relate back to that fundamental process of life. And if and when the cognitive mind forms an accurate understanding of that relationship, different goals, ethics, morals, and laws are chosen because it came to understand WHY it is inspired to do things, its “purpose for pursuit”.

You said abstractly identical, true.
We can compare ourselves in many ways to animals, yet not when it comes to a soley human behavior. At least I don’t see how we can. I work with different species everyday, love it and learn every day. I learn behaviorism, habits, and whys(to a point). They are not primitive or primal soley, they have developed paths of their own evolution or bred evolution (human intervention) . For instance: horses, chickens and pigs are physically omnivores, yet through husbandry and breeding, they are becoming vegetarians. The are bred for purpose, this adds to the evolution paths.
Behaviors cannot actually honestly be compared to human, lightly, sure , seriously, no.
Btw: We took two carnivore species and are turning them into omnivores to a point. This is done to deliberately domesticate them. Canine and feline.

Emm … yes, everything is exactly 100% identical except for their differences, which aren’t. :neutral_face: :confused: 8-[

And people are being converted into vegetarians and artificial(arians) (GMO’s only).

You seem to be saying that because there are some differences then there is NO fundamental comparison. Every living conscious entity, when not being forced, is always 100% guided by PHT, its perception of hope and threat. Every species and each individual varies in their PHT. But if you guide your PHT, you guide yourself. Homosapian can do that to a degree (often not a good thing). The other creatures can’t.

ROFL Hon, do you ever put posts in context in your mind or do you just poke :slight_smile:
I agreed with your OP except for one point. And now you return the favor in spades… orneryness or searching?

A while back I was watching a show on TV (I think it was Oprah) in which they interviewed a woman who survived an attack from a serial killer. She said that the only thing that saved her life was a gut feeling that told her that she might be in danger when the killer approached her. In her case she did not listen to it, and it was only on the account of a lucky moment that came up that she got away alive. She regrets not listening to it. I agree that sometimes it’s hard to tell if you’re experiencing a gut feeling/intuition or simply projecting your own insecurities - whether it’s right or wrong. I think negative-based thinking or experiences that eventually get programmed into subconscious reactions have their place too, mainly of ensuring safety and survival. One should be careful in positive reprogramming of subconscious because it can make one too gullible. If you always look for the positive you may ignore the subtle danger signals that could save your life. If such situation does come your way, you won’t pay attention to red flags because by then you will have desensitized yourself to them, you look for good and you will tend to see good. And predators play on that.

All senses require contrast. But also all sensing is blinded by extremes. If one cannot maintain reasonable balance of sense, know that it is better to be blindly hopeful than blindly fearful.

It depends on one’s environment. In an environment where you may be in danger at any time (and there are many such places outside US and other 1st world countries) being blindly hopeful can cost you your life, at worst; and being used and exploited, at best. Look at people living in the 3rd world slums. If they dwell on how terrible their lot is they would find motivation to push away from it and find a way to improve quality of their life. If they dwell only on positive, they won’t have any motivation to improve their lot. They are more likely to remain where they are, grateful for just being alive and blindly hopeful for a better one in the afterlife.

Well, I understand what you are saying, but it actually gets more complicated than that.

Fear Scatters
Hope gathers

It is true that if you are in a highly dangerous environment you are more likely to get hurt by ignoring it. But the problem is that by being blindly fearful, you believe that you are in that environment when not and gradually cause it to become that environment.

Hope is what people have lost when they are not trying to improve themselves, not fear. Greater fear is often used to overcome the stagnation produced by subtle fears or discomforts that have drained people of any sign of hope (the vampire syndrome).

Note that the young are generally energetic and ambitious. But the more fear that is used, the more dangerous and complex the environment gets. Thus what bit of hope is perceived is generally false hope. And the actual threat goes unnoticed because of the confusion of too many complications to be afraid of. Acceptance of a mundane, non-progressive life is the result. The experienced man ends up never allowing his hopes to rise at all and only avoids immediate and present dangers. Otherwise he doesn’t care and is really just waiting to get older and die.

The relatively blind hope in the young inspires directed/constructive ambitions, although often foolish due to lack of experience. Blind fear, causes retreat from every direction, backing one into a corner from which he might suddenly lash out or get drunk in a desperate attempt to free himself from his own fears. Productivity is not the result, but rather merely more things for others to be fearful about. Fear more readily causes blindness than hope.

The fearful environment gets created by believing in it.
Or the hopeful environment gets created by believing in it.

Not knowing the truth either way concerning the present, I think it wiser to risk toward the more hopeful future, not the more fearful one.