Rationalizing: How do we know for sure that we aren't?

I have never witnessed it being the other way around… yet.

Rationalizing may be an attempt to make sense of what appears to be a senseless situation., e.g, why did she die in the accident?

Have you never been told (for example by your father) in the absolutely right way, that this or that what you are (or another one is) doing does make no sense at all (so that you had to agree)?

Rationalizing (as opposed to being rational) is merely making excuses in an effort to subvert accusation and judgement.

See JSS’ explanation in the previous post.

The enlightenment, for example, reduces fear, angst, superstition, … and so on. But now it seems that there is merely a small rest of enlightenment.

psychologytoday.com/blog/hid … nalization
I agree with what you are inferring as an idea but I just don’t agree that we can call it rationalization (maybe truthization).

But does the word “rationalization” not also have a positive meaning? I know, the psychologization has changed the meaning of the word “rationalization”, but the word had a different meaning before that psychologization. I prefer the non-psychologized meaning of the word “rationalization”. Or is this not any longer possible in English? Am I now not “welcomed” to the psycholgism club? :wink:

Ultimately, all rationalizations (positive or negative) are deceptive even though they can be functional and useful.

Mark Twain said the easiest person to fool is yourself and it is indeed so

The hardest person to teach is also ourselves as we are stubborn fools.

That is not true.

The words "rational“ and "rationalization“ have the same root. What you are saying is that, for example, all enlightenment is "deceptive“. And that is - of course - not true.

Political correctness, psychologism and sociologism, for example, are deceptive.

So you do not kill insects?

Do you live according Ecamndu’s "rule“? :slight_smile:

I have no idea what you mean by enlightenment.

I do not have an emotional need to kill insects and if I did then I would have to rationalize my emotional needs.

You really do not know what “enlightenment” means?

I didn’t say… I don’t know what enlightenment means.

And there could be good reasons (for example healthy reasons) too to rationalize your motive(s).

Okay.