What is boredom?

Psychologically speaking, what is the meaning of boredom? What do we mean when we say we’re bored?

How might we characterize boredom in a psychological sense? What is going on psychologically when one is bored?

On a potentially related note, why is it that doing absolutely nothing is all but intolerable? I do not mean indulging in activities most would consider ‘doing nothing’ - ie sitting and watching movies or television, or playing video games, or reading a book/magazine, or listening to music - these all constitute doing something. Indeed, do we not indulge in many such activities precisely to ward off boredom?

By doing nothing, I mean being completely still, idle, quiet - think meditation in a dim and silent room, without distractions of any kind outside of one’s own mind. Why is this so difficult? Why are we in need of constant distraction and diversion?

Bottom line: why do we get bored?

The unnatural state of prolonged idleness.

What’s the natural state of prolonged idleness?

The mind is but a tinder waiting for a light; or in the very least, some light entertainment.

Just as it sounds.

Boredom is a denial of anticipation. Don’t anticipate, then boredom will cease. Why? Because anticipation implies making a choice as to what to do next, and being bored indicates a denial to think about what to do next. As a consequence boredom becomes a suspension of that thought. The cure is the “de-bracketing” of anticipation, by realizing that giving up making choices (of what to do next) is not the same as not making choices, but being aware of a spontaneous moment, in which the choice is made. There is a difference, and realizing this difference will relax the mind into a more centered and more focused equilibrium

Activity helps. Boredom is the result of a lack of activity.

Activity that’s meaninful helps. Meaningless activity not only doesn’t help, it can make on helpless.

Sure.

what would you say about people who are bored of doing the same thing? those that want to break the routine? is that not boredom as well and yet they are anticipating to something.

Boredom doesn’t indicate whether it demands an immediate change of routine (anticipation) or, whether it is simply a description with more content. …this content is no longer the restless feeling of having to make an immediate plan as to what to do, but implies something more: (getting out of a rut) Besides it also implies a tautology - “bored of being bored”. Seems like a logical trap. . It’s anticipation is much more general and clueless. Its “anticipation” or goal, has become a lot less transparent. The person in the less category has probably learned how deal (suppress) the knowledge of boredom, rather than the uneasy feeling of being bored.

Upon rereading the above, I looked it over and found out lacking in clarity. Since I couldn’t edit it I would like to add the following: boredom is a mixture of primary and secondary elements. Primary boredom may be seen in-line within a primary process, vis, undifferentiated from acquired ones. They are the pleasure-as-goal oriented ones demanding immediate gratification, having a seemingly “innate sense” of what it is that is sought. The anticipation is mostly of primary drives’ The anticipation may not be reified. On the other hand secondary boredom, has successfully denied anticipation to the extent that it is capable of displacing it. Displacement has a structural integrity, vis accepted object relations. (Accepted by the self and others). If this becomes “routine” or leads to a “rut” the anticipation has to be “reduced” to a possibility to act it out.rollo May comes to mind here. It is a reduction to manage conscious choices previously suppressed. Here “content” or value judgments will help to determine what that choice should be.Conflicts in choosing the right path will require conflict resolution. Reducing the suspension (becoming aware of them) evaluating the choice, and finally acting on it. Shortcuts are taken in the first case, (with lapses of conscious decision-making/evaluation). The feeling of boredom, as a vague feeling of apprehension that “acting out” will allay may be bypassed. Goal oriented behavior,.generally not well thought out, showig an “anywhere but here” restless reactive process.

I like having sex with women I barely know. I feel no meaning, but it doesn’t make the activity boring

Boredom is no emotion.

Boredom is non-distracted anxiety.

Naaah, lack of emotions, no interest in any way

That would be depression.

Boredom is the feeling or urge to do “something”, but merely not knowing or perhaps even caring what, as long as it occupies the mind/heart. It comes about due to a subtle neurological disturbance, “angst” or subtle anxiety, and thus typically prefers physical movement so as to mask it. If an intellectual pursuit is entertaining enough, such a fantasy dream or interesting movie (a book for those who can still read), no physical activity is required.

That sounds more like curiosity than boredom. But then we are different. I have zero emotions no interest from time to time. I am not depressed I just am bored until something comes along.

But do you really sit in idleness while you are bored, and wait patiently (despite boredom) for something amusing/entertaining to come along? do you not pick up a book, turn on the television, call a friend, browse ILP, or find something else to do or work on when you are bored? I doubt you simply wait ‘until something comes along’

isn’t boredom sort of characterized by a lack of patience? as well as by a desire for some form of amusement, entertainment, diversion, distraction, or change?

do you not usually (and actively) seek something to do to escape boredom? is there not something disagreeable about boredom, and something almost intolerable about waiting patiently in idleness (doing nothing at all) while one is bored?

i don’t think the bored person sits around and waits for something to come along and rescue him from boredom - rather he actively flees both boredom and idleness (which are so often found together).

I did not mean that I was physically idle.Hells that would be a nice change.