Why Isn't The Belief In God Considered Mental Illness?

All religions are fundamentalist to their core.

Either god exists or doesn’t. The universe is the universe, not god.

How?

The big bang cosmic theory of creation as a model was actually developed by Christian scientists ironically…

I’m sorry, but according to the DSM seeing and believing things that are not there…

^

Depends on the extent or extremity of ones following religion.

If you were held at gun point, you would lie too.

According to you, not according to the billions who see otherwise. God is there!!!

You see what you want to see. It doesn’t make it objective. Remember the pineal gland and eye of ra? Just a coincidence guys remember?

That God does not exist is a subjective claim, requiring proof. There is no objective certainty. What we call objective reality amounts to consensus of subjective agreements.

You have to prove that the existence of God is imaginary. Besides, the DSM does not fault as mentally ill those children who have “imaginary” friends. That is a sign of creative imagination.

Well, I’m a firm believer that a majority of humanity if not all of humanity is irrational where for me just because a majority of people believe in things doesn’t really verify anything at all.

No, it doesn’t work that way. When somebody posits the existence of something the burden of proof firmly rests upon them.

The difference is that children outgrow their imaginary friends eventually where with religion on the other hand…

That’s not true, we covered it in Sanjays thread already. Let me make an example of objectivity.

World being flat, many people believed that, it was an agreement for the majority of people in the world, yet it was not flat at all, thus proving that objectivity is not based on our agreeing with each other or subjective ideas.

Objectivity = fact

Belief = subjectivity.

One can believe something is objective yet it turns out to be subjective, things do not bend to our will, ideas or perspective you see. Things are, whether we are or are not.

The planet is objectively round, gravity is objectively there, if one does not agree with these things it would not matter, because at the end of the day you can jump or fall, but you will always meet the ground again.

HaHaHa

:laughing: Well, there are some schools of thought which "believe’ that reincarnation is a possibility/plausibility.
I suppose that if that man can show some evidence; for instance, peculiarities, characteristics which run parallel to Bonapsarte, then who can say either way that he can’t be or can be?
The proof of his insanity would be much more in his behavior; for instance, his self-aggrandizing, his pretense of being on a horse and charging someone, et cetera. lol

That could be called praying except for the “speak with”. Auditory hallucinations mean something’s up with one’s mental health.

I think that most rational human beings will realize that something is amiss there and could be possibly dangerous to himself and others.

Because there is such a thing as a “rational” belief, based on what can be seen of the universe though not being able to be proven.
Some might not call THIS god per se but they see some intelligent rational cause for belief.
The belief points to or signals a mental illness based on one’s behavior and how it affects one’s life.

There are cases when religious people can have an episode of organized schizophrenia as in the case of Fatima and lourdes, though nothing so mentally ill-like if people believe in a mother of god - just a kind of virus attack in the moment. lol What do I know.

I don’t think that it necessarily does if a sharp and highly intelligent psychiatrist can tell the difference between a rational belief and neuroses, pscyhoses, schizophrenia, etc.
Based on the individual[s], some religions and beliefs do more harm than good.

beg to differ… objective reality demands the understanding of immutable natural laws but since man rather believes that he is above them, what is said makes sense but isnt objective.

Understanding the totality of the entire universe objectively is out of human reach, sorry.

Most philosophical objectivists are bullshitters and con artists.

HaHaHa,

Well, I wouldn’t say a “majority” of people at least not all of the time. Since you are a firm believer, you are capable of rethinking that. But it would seem that more and more humanity is becoming irrational. Hopefully, the ones who are rational and sane might overcome the others.

That’s true. Belief is not verification nor is it evidence. It is just personal opinion no matter how many millions share the same thinking.