how come there's never been more than 5 ppl online at once?

do you people actually have lives outside of the board???

wow, i think i need to sit down and let that thought sink in…

…a life outside the board…i wonder what it’s like???..

I’m trying to think of a witty response but can’t so I’ll just reply by saying, obviously yes.

Also the 5 people thing. THat’s only been since the new bulletin boards were done.

p.s. what are sessional exams, you were talking about them somewhere.

they’re the exams i’ve got to do at the end of each year, ie session, to progress into the next year…quite simple really, and they aren’t too hard, i hope, but that’s what it’s like at ucl, and i think all the other university of london philosophy courses…
it’s good because we aren’t just taking a module at the end of each lecture coarse(? --my spelling is going to shit) and then just forgetting everything, the whole degree is done on finals which means that when you take the exams you should have a completely rounded understanding of the whole of what you’ve studied and not just fragments at a time…
kindoflike the hermaneutic circle

haha just because i’m studying heidegger and his questions of being a nazi…ordidimissreadthatsomewhere…

oh, and apologies for all previous and subsequent posts as i have a tendency to drift off into the inane and silly, perfect fodder for philosophy then…
cheerio

Whenever I am on here, which is too often, there is never more than two people on other than me. I’m not saying that the stat was fixed, but I wonder if I was one of the sixteen that was on all at once. I’ve actually tried advertising this board to the philosophy club at my university but there was no bite. I had thought that my being an executive of the club people would take me seriously and think there might be something more to this site, but no such luck.

What’s your take?

I am pogo-stick happy that i found this board…
I finally found people somewhere near my level of thinking
instead of trying to debate with teenie bopper retards.
hugs the mods
~JL

I think before the hacking it was up to 9

As Magius said earlier, there were 16 on at once during July. However, this is not entirely accurate as there may actually have been more than that. Allow me to explain how the software keeps track of your online status. Let’s say that you login and begin replying to a post. The system immediately recognizes you as online and will continue to display you as online for 5 minutes. But if you are typing a reply and you take more than five minutes then it will no longer display you as online until you hit submit or take some further action. So if you are like me and usually take more than five minutes to type a reply, then the system will most often display you as offline. However, everytime you submit or refresh or click on a link your online status will be updated and the five minute countdown will start over. Make sense?

So theoretically if you had 16 people online typing a reply, the system could display 0 users online. On July 20th, it just so happened that all 16 users happened to have made some server recognizable action within the same 5 minute block. However, there could have been 5 more users typing replies, meaning there were actually 21 users online.

Mystery solved.

Even more mind boggling is the user “cart man” has a post under the “Thus Spoke Zarathustra” thread, yet under his name it says “Posts: 0”. Makes no sense!?! Check it out. Thus Spoke Zarathustra I know you are thinking, “who cares?” but as a developer and web developer I catch these glitches.

peace,
Skep