small vocabulary

I hate sounding stupid but the dictionary isn’t helping any. What’s the idea of the words subjective and objective.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary:

SUBJECTIVE

(1a) Proceeding from or taking place in a person’s mind rather than the external world: a subjective decision.

(1b) Particular to a given person; personal: subjective experience.

OBJECTIVE

(1a) Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices: an objective critic.

(1b) Based on observable phenomena; presented factually: an objective appraisal.

Generally speaking, “objective” denotes a fact; “subjective” denotes an opinion about a fact.

That T. S. Eliot was a poet is an objective fact. That T. S. Eliot was a good poet is my subjective opinion.

Wow I that makes things easier (no sarcasm intended). Thanks.

I had a little idea that I thought might be fun. Maybe we can get Ben and HVD to make this a little championship, but then again, even prizes aren’t enough to incite some of you to do something together, ie. Chess (yes I’m still hurt over this)…Just kidding. Anyway, my point is, we should all try to pick very few words and try to say as much with them as possible. You know, I pick 20 words and have to write as long as I possibly can. The person that can write the longest post with the least words wins. Tadda!!

This will show the creative sides of people for using the smallest vocabulary in the most sophisticated/complex way. Which was Kant’s argument for the difference between animals and humans. So people, let’s prove him right…

Alright, you can all ignore my post now, make derogetory remarks, snicker behind my back, and proceed to beat me senseless for proposing such a thing. :cry:

What’s your take?

No equivical senitment resides within my immediate consciousness: I possess insufficient tempestuousness to deride such inventive caprice. Etymological innovation awaits!

L O L

I think JP gets the award for using the most words to say the least amount of things :wink: . Pangloss is disqualified for using abbreviations! :laughing: Not a good start to this little cherade. My ideas never seem to come through…sigh :unamused: