Your Favorite Things?

What are a few of your favorite things? Here are a few of mine.

Favorite Book: On The Edge of Certainty; Philosophical Explorations, by Raymond Tallis

Favorite Actress: Juliette Binoche
http://kapsel.itam.zabrze.pl/~kosa/binoche/binoche5.jpg

Favorite Song: Dome Epais, from the opera Lakme
http://urth.acsu.buffalo.edu/~pjg/jwz/DomeEpais.au

Favorite CD: J.S. Bach’s Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin by Henryk Szeryng

Favorite Film: Le fabuleux destin d’Amélie Poulain
http://video.go.com/amelie/

Favorite Meal: Risotto Milanese with a slice of Vollkorn brot

Favorite Beer: La Maudite (it goes well with the risotto). “The name means ‘the damned’ and the guys in the flying canoe on the label are characters in a Quebec folk tale who made a pact with Satan to get to a distant party in time.”
http://www.unibroue.com/produits/MAUDITE.CFM

Favorite Dessert: A little tart filled with nuts carmelized in maple syrup.

Favorite Exercises: Latissimus dorsi pulls / Spinning

Favorite Charity: Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Michael

Would you have posted this in the buzz of summer, miles away from Christmas? I think not. 'Tis the time for reflection, for sharing things. No man can escape the unquenchable stench of the bewildered herd’s sentimental prayers.

So mine are as follows (all up until now):

Favourite book: Seeing Things -Seamus Heaney/ The End of History and the Last Man - Francis Fukuyama (stuck together)

Favourite actress or weathergirl: Isobel Lang

Favourite comedian: Harry Hill

Favourite magazine: Philosophy Now

Favourite plate: Pesto pasta, with 1 bottle of New Zealand Venture white

Favourite song: Mild und leise wie er lachelt from the opera Tristan und Isolde

Favourite charity: The state

Leo

pangloss - have you heard of the book ‘brazil’ by john updike? - its based on the story of tristan and isolde

ok then some favourite things aswel…

favourite actress - emily bruni… also minnie driver…er also that german one off the film black sunday…er aswel eowyn off the two towers (whats her name?) …er

favourite deodorant spray - ben sherman (its only one pound 48 in wilkinsons)

favrit radio presenter - tommy boyd (alas sadly not on the airwaves at the moment)

favourite season - spring

favourite entertainment - cinema

favourite accent liverpool (but not for women it makes them sound like slappers)

favourite decade - the eighties

favourite band - anything from the eighties except bananarama or rubbish like that

favourite colour green

ok enough

oh yes harry hill very funny (unusual) but not my favourite comedian
i can think of loads but i dont like one more especially then the other( a bit like the actress one)

What does it mean if I was to say that I don’t have favorites of things?

The one thing I can say that is my favorite, is my favorite movie: Matrix. This is because it does such a good job of explaining all the things that are not of our time or reality. It does a better job than any other movie I know of, of taking you into another reality without being able to doubt or criticise easily. It has action, suspence, love, philosophy, detail, fashion, creative characters, attitude, and ofcourse an alterior computer generated reality. All the great things of our contemporary times.

But, in an effort to join all of you in the festivities of favorites, I will note some things I really like,

I like exotic thing. Whether it’s books, cars, houses, theories, people, etc.

I like vietnamese soup (Pho Tai). I like Escargo. You know it’s strange, I can think of any other food as actually being something I want to eat. I don’t take great pleasure in eating. It’s almost like a waste of time to me. Well, except for vietnamese soup.

I like computers, programming, graphics design, web design, and games.

I like all kinds of music, but music itself I love.

I like to peacefully debate on all subject matters of life.

I like to spend time with peaceful, kind, and respectful people.

I like to put my body to its limits (ie. I love martial arts - but I do not limit my body to just martial arts)

I like things that are eye candy and brain candy.

Ah! I found something I can say is my favorite thing to do…think! - Sometimes I fear that this will lead me straight to a mental ward.

I like comfortable clothes. Depending on what I wear can affect my mood for the whole day. Remember, I’m not talking about what my clothes look like, though that does play a part, but I am specifically referring to the comfort of the clothes. I really like the fabric called Viscos.

Oh Oh, I figured out another thing that is my favorite. Air! I love air, for some reason I take great delight each day in stepping out of my house and taking a really deep breath.

What’s your take?

I don’t know about favorites. I kind of go through phases with things so all the things are probably gonna be different in a couple months.

Favorite food I’d say would be potatoes of some sort. Actually something I’ve always like. But sweets and candys would beat it any day. I don’t care much for eating. I also think it’s a waste of time like most bodily functions. I don’t much pleasure in them.

I love stories of any kind. If it’s told good it’ll be my favorite book once I’m done reading it. I’d enjoy reading philosophy more if I was able to concentrate easier.

I like technology. Putting stuff together and taking it apart. I love the advancements humans have made. I could walk through the technology section of a store for hours.

Music is probably one of my favorite things. As of now I’d say hardcore music is my favorite. If I had to chose between being blind or deaf I’d probably chose deaf and then kill myself once I remembered I couldn’t listen to music anymore.

I like just about all art.

j0n4th4n have you ever heard of the faint? It’s a band that sounds kinda 80’s that you may like. They are really great. Even if you don’t like 80’s I recommend checking them out.

Favourite Book: History of Western Philosophy; by Bertrand Russell (Because it was the first philosophy book I read, because everybody looks fondly back at their first time)

Favourite Actress: Dame Judy Dench (because she can actually act)

Favourite (from beauty perspective) Actress: Charlize Theron

Favourite Actor: Ewan McGregor or Sir Alec Guinness, can’t decide between the two. But both played, Ob1 :slight_smile:

Favourite Song: Come What May, from more recently Moulin Rouge

Favourite Female Singer: Sarah Brightman or Dolly Patron both have beautiful voices but different styles

Favourite (from beauty perspective) Female Singer: Beyoncé Knowles (Destiny’s Child)

Favourite Male Singer: Andrea Bocelli

Favourite Film: The Princess Bride
http://www.godamongdirectors.com/scripts/princess.shtml
http://www.ozcraft.com/scifidu/princess.html

Favourite Meal: Burger King - Bacon Cheeseburger Meal

Favourite Beer: Carlsberg (probably)
http://www.carlsberg.com/brewery/advertising/lorry/images/faeroe.jpg

Favourite Soccer Team: Liverpool FC
http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/index.shtml

Favourite Dessert: Hot Bake-well Tart with Ice Cream.
http://gourmet.ninemsn.com.au/gourmettraveller/recipes/db/gourmettraveller/47/4752.asp

Favourite Exercises: Turning the Page on a Book

PV

Pax,
Princess Bride!
I love that movie. It’s a classic, I have recently looked it up on amazon.ca to see if they have it available as a book so that in the future, when I have kids I can read it to them. I know, I know, I’m 23 and what the hell am I doing already thinking about what books I’m going to read to my kids…your guess is as good as mine. My mind is a mystery to me sometimes.

Favorite Novel
Nause – JPS & The Lord of the Rings - Tolkien
Non-fiction:
The State & the Revolution – Lenin

Favorite Band:
The Clash/James/Manic Street Preachers

Favorite Actor:
Edward Norton & Ian KcKellen

Favorite Beautiful Actor:
Sean Bean

Favorite CD:
Laid by James
All The Clash’s albums.

Favourite song:
PS by James

Favorite Film:
The Fight Club
Reservoir Dogs
Matrix
Lord of the Rings

Favorite wine:
Chilean Merlot

Things I like doing best: Writing & reading
Things I detest: bad food & work… specially work… I rather eat a rotten fish than work.

has anyone read any discworld books? i think sean bean would make an excellent sam vimes for a film

pax vitae - i like the name beyoncé :smiley:

another favourite thing i forgot to mention -

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSS!!!

cba and magius - i can’t believe you don’t like food!! i love food (no, im not fat :smiley: )

cle- im a LOTR/Tolkien fan too. whats your favourite thing about those books?

Favorite Fiction: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Favorite Non-fiction: The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James

Favorite Song: The Stars Are Projectors, Modest Mouse

Favorite Band: Modest Mouse
If you ever have the chance, check them out! Their lyrics are entirely philosophically based!

Favorite CD: Counting Crows, August and Everything After

Favorite Film: Moulin Rouge although Amelie tops my charts as well. . .

Favorite Meal: hmmm. . . A six pack of chicken strips and polynesian sauce along with a medium waffle fry and a medium sweet tea at the infamous southern fast food restaurant Chic-fil-a! Pure goodness!

Favorite Beer: Nothing beats a Guinness! Bass Ale trails shortly thereafter.

Favorite Dessert: A warm freshly baked slice of coconut bread from a little pastry shop on the carribean island of St. Lucia. (I tend to prefer flavor over sugar when it somes to desserts.)

Favorite Exercises: Thinking about exercising . . .

Favorite Charity: Me, cuz I am the brokest folk you will ever meet.

Favorite Act of Meditation: I love taking long solo trips in my car listening to my favorite music. It is probably my favorite of all things to do.

Favorite Fiction: hamlet or count of monte christo

Favorite Non-fiction: not my cup of tea

Favorite Song: Sitting on the dock of the bay

Favorite Band: Beatles

Favorite CD: 7 stops 8 or any third door down cd

Favorite Film: too many (LoTR, Seven Samurai, Princess bride, Count de monte christo, aliens 2…)

Favorite Meal: hamburger pie with macaroni and cheese(kraft squigles)

Favorite Beer: Guiness bass or smirnoff ice/black

Favorite Dessert: Dirt cake

Favorite wine: A local red wine made from skupernog grapes served cold

j0n4th4n

I find the LotR books are beautifully written. Tolkien made the english language sound like a poem, and that what I like the most in the books. Of course, I also love Elvish… I tried to teach myself Quenya, but it didn’t work out very well :confused:

‘Being’ a writer myself … I try to anyway… and english not being my 1st language, is such a delight to read an amazing book like Tolkien ones. Is just too good.

Skeptic

They are great aren’t they!? I love Modest Mouse. Fantastic lyrics and songs.

Favorite Act of Meditation:

That’s a good one… I guess that I question to myself a lot. You know what is most bizarre, I do reply the questions… and loudly while am walking on the streets, taking a shower, cooking. I could do with more friends maybe hehe

hmmm

Favorite Book: That would have to be one of the Sword of Truth Novels By Terry Goodkind… (Slade disregards sarcastic mumbling of readers).

Favorite Song: I’m not sure I have one… though I like Painted Black by the Rolling Stones and O’Fortuna

Favorite Food: Pasta: more specifically Fetticcini (sp.) Alfredo w/Garlic Toast

Favorite Actress: Nicole Kidman. She can act and she’s nice to watch act :wink:

Favorite Actor: Edward Nortan has yet to disapoint me in a film.

Most Beautiful Woman: Laetitia Casta (thank you France)

I like to do martial arts: more specifically Karate because of it’s history. Chess would have to be my favorite board game and Romance of the Three Kingdoms 7 (the last one I played) my favorite computer game.

Favorite Charity: Food Bank of **** (where I live) because I know where the money’s going.

[/img]

Wow! I am surprised you have heard of them. How did you get into Modest Mouse, seeing as they are so underground and all? Just curious. Also, I always love a good referral. Are there any good underground UK bands that I might enjoy?

I’ve heard he is comparable to Robert Jordan. I’ve just begun the Wheel of Time series with book I: Eye of the World. I’m about half way through it and so far, it rocks! What did you think of the WOT series or more specifically, book I?

I don’t remember now how i found out about Modest Mouse, I think a friend of mine from a Brazilian indie-label sent me a tape once with many underground bands and modest mouse was one of them. I loved so much i bought the album right away.

I used to be into music much more few years ago, but lately the music scene is quite disappointing, even the indie bands, that i even gave up on playing… don’t even feel like having a band anymore.

Do you know Magoo? I think they are great! What do you like best? Lo-fi stuff? Most of the good lo-fi are in America… like Guided by Voices, Halo Benders, Built to Spill…

Oh, there is a great Welsh band called Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci, they are not lo-fi, but definitely very crazy and experimental. Number One Cup… but I guess they are American…

I would have to go through my CD collection to see if I could find any british lo-fi… (I doubt there is any… british are not good at lo-fi)

Skeptic,
I really liked the Wheel of Time series, especially book 3, The Dragon Reborn. Book one had to have been one of my favorites, though. I really like how Jordan portrayed Moraine (sp.?) in book one. He always made me want to know more about her.
The Wheel of Time and Sword of Truth trilogies are similier in many respects. One of the main differences I found is that the Sword of Truth focuses on one main character, whereas the Wheel of Time has various stories that are unfolding simutaniously (sp.).
Truthfully I liked the Sword of Truth series more then the Wheel of Time. To me, SOT just seemed a little bit more realistic in terms of the way people think and act, and less monotinous as the story progresses then the WOT. I’d get into more detail as to what I mean, but I wouldn’t want to reveal too much of the story line to you.
Regardless, I think both authors are well above talented and I enjoyed both stories very much.

fav thing : Music - all forms, fruit pastels … ya know you love em

Favourite films: Amelie, Blade Runner, Life is Beautiful
Favourite Bands: Belle and Sebastian, Massive Attack
Favourite Foods: Cottage Pie, Salmon, Moules Mariniere, all cheeses, Marmite on Toast with proper butter, Cauliflower Cheese, Peanut butter (I must be hungrey)
Favourite Drink: Guiness with Tia Maria
Favourite Exercise: Dancing
Favourite Places: Cornwall, Bali, Pubs
Favourite Tv programs: Marion and Geoff, The Simpsons (of course)
Most lushious man in the world: Gabriel Byrne (gush)
Favourite Book: Brave New World
Favourite Living things: My Mummy and my cat Twiglet.