Philosophy For Us Dummies

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:17 pm

how did an intelligent god do it...[/quote]
By being a part of it.[/quote]
what part exactly...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:19 pm

turtle wrote:how did an intelligent god do it...

By being a part of it.[/quote]
what part exactly...[/quote]
I am a part of all that is. I am a part of you and both are part of all that is.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:22 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
turtle wrote:how did an intelligent god do it...

By being a part of it.

what part exactly...[/quote]
I am a part of all that is. I am a part of you and both are part of all that is.[/quote]
I don't believe you are a part of me...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Orbie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:26 pm

It's interesting to note that a-part of it literally and figuratively deconstructs the concept apart. Apart implies little or no referentiality,whereas the former imples very direct relationship.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:58 pm

obe wrote:It's interesting to note that a-part of it literally and figuratively deconstructs the concept apart. Apart implies little or no referentiality,whereas the former imples very direct relationship.

Yes. My beliefs are panentheistic.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
obe wrote:It's interesting to note that a-part of it literally and figuratively deconstructs the concept apart. Apart implies little or no referentiality,whereas the former imples very direct relationship.

Yes. My beliefs are panentheistic.


I looked it up and I still don't understand...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:52 pm

what is it all about---------------------------------everything and nothing
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:17 pm

turtle wrote:what is it all about---------------------------------everything and nothing

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/panentheism
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
turtle wrote:what is it all about---------------------------------everything and nothing

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/panentheism


so humans are making up these ideas about life ....any evidence or is this belief...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm

turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:
turtle wrote:what is it all about---------------------------------everything and nothing

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/panentheism


so humans are making up these ideas about life ....any evidence or is this belief...

Belief is the mother of fact. As I believe, so I am. I'm with Heraclitus in that the only thing permanent is change. Once anadherent of objective truth argued with me that knowing the capital of Bolivia is knowing an objective fact. Facts change. Well, Atlanta used to be Marthasville.
Last edited by Ierrellus on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:32 pm

duplicate
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:51 pm

so humans are making up these ideas about life ....any evidence or is this belief...[/quote]
Belief is the mother of fact. As I believe, so I am. I'm with Heraclitus in that the only thing permanent is change. Once anadherent of objective truth argued with me that knowing the capital of Bolivia is knowing an objective fact. Facts change. Well, Atlanta used to be Marthasville.[/quote]

ier---how about atoms....do they exist ....are we correct about hydrogen...is it a scientific fact......at least for now...because when people confuse fact with belief...we are in trouble..
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:41 pm

The view of an atom a planetary system complete with electron orbit used to be considered fact. Science remains our best guess yet as to what comprises physical reality. What is seen as objective fact are propositions that have a wide consensus of agreement. Science of the brain has moved from phrenology to neuroplasticity. Who knows what it will entail a few decades from now.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:41 pm

duplicate
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Ierrellus wrote:The view of an atom a planetary system complete with electron orbit used to be considered fact. Science remains our best guess yet as to what comprises physical reality. What is seen as objective fact are propositions that have a wide consensus of agreement. Science of the brain has moved from phrenology to neuroplasticity. Who knows what it will entail a few decades from now.


you and I need to explore scientific fact....do you believe in the atomic theory....do you believe that hydrogen is an atom...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:25 pm

turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:The view of an atom a planetary system complete with electron orbit used to be considered fact. Science remains our best guess yet as to what comprises physical reality. What is seen as objective fact are propositions that have a wide consensus of agreement. Science of the brain has moved from phrenology to neuroplasticity. Who knows what it will entail a few decades from now.


you and I need to explore scientific fact....do you believe in the atomic theory....do you believe that hydrogen is an atom...

I believe hydrogen can be considered an atom for now, but atom is a name for an entire universe of subatomic particles of which only a few are now known. It's like asking me if I believe there is such a thing as a bus without regards to its constituency or activity.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:The view of an atom a planetary system complete with electron orbit used to be considered fact. Science remains our best guess yet as to what comprises physical reality. What is seen as objective fact are propositions that have a wide consensus of agreement. Science of the brain has moved from phrenology to neuroplasticity. Who knows what it will entail a few decades from now.


you and I need to explore scientific fact....do you believe in the atomic theory....do you believe that hydrogen is an atom...

I believe hydrogen can be considered an atom for now, but atom is a name for an entire universe of subatomic particles of which only a few are now known. It's like asking me if I believe there is such a thing as a bus without regards to its constituency or activity.


a hydrogen atom is not a subatomic particle....
and I am only talking about facts that are known now...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:47 pm

I never said hydrogen is a subatomic particle. I'm simply mentioning complexities of constituency that you tend to ignore. What we call facts are substantiated by consensus of agreement. There is no objective reality devoid of subjective interpretation.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Ierrellus wrote:I never said hydrogen is a subatomic particle. I'm simply mentioning complexities of constituency that you tend to ignore. What we call facts are substantiated by consensus of agreement. There is no objective reality devoid of subjective interpretation.


how do you know what I ignore....
why is your opinion about facts so important..
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:21 pm

turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:I never said hydrogen is a subatomic particle. I'm simply mentioning complexities of constituency that you tend to ignore. What we call facts are substantiated by consensus of agreement. There is no objective reality devoid of subjective interpretation.


how do you know what I ignore....
why is your opinion about facts so important..

#-o #-o I give up. Being personal is being mostly subjective.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:I never said hydrogen is a subatomic particle. I'm simply mentioning complexities of constituency that you tend to ignore. What we call facts are substantiated by consensus of agreement. There is no objective reality devoid of subjective interpretation.


how do you know what I ignore....
why is your opinion about facts so important..

#-o #-o I give up. Being personal is being mostly subjective.


whats wrong with subjective.....
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Subjective and objective are like yin and yang. They cannot be separated. Probably personal and impersonal cannot be separated either. It is only when we communicate that we can come to an agreement as to what constitutes a fact. Hydrogen is an atom is a fact for the time being. So I'm simply saying that there is no objective fact devoid of subjective interpretation; and what we consider fact today may be considered fiction tomorrow. Our learning is a process.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12723
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Uccisore » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:23 am

turtle wrote:I will admit to being one of the dummies......
Let us start-------
1. How did matter and energy come about?? please define the words how, did, matter,and, energy, come, about.


So you don't know what you mean by your own question? In that case, the answer is 'blue'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8mPuckq ... ure=vmdshb

http://deepfreeze.it/ Curious about corrupt practices in video game journalism? Look no further.
User avatar
Uccisore
The Legitimatizer
 
Posts: 13279
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2002 8:14 pm
Location: Deep in the forests of Maine

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:31 am

Ierrellus wrote:Subjective and objective are like yin and yang. They cannot be separated. Probably personal and impersonal cannot be separated either. It is only when we communicate that we can come to an agreement as to what constitutes a fact. Hydrogen is an atom is a fact for the time being. So I'm simply saying that there is no objective fact devoid of subjective interpretation; and what we consider fact today may be considered fiction tomorrow. Our learning is a process.


how much chance ier is atomic theory of matter going to change....it works....it has been tested....what are the odds..
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:35 am

Uccisore wrote:
turtle wrote:I will admit to being one of the dummies......
Let us start-------
1. How did matter and energy come about?? please define the words how, did, matter,and, energy, come, about.


So you don't know what you mean by your own question? In that case, the answer is 'blue'.


ucc----what is your answer....I'm asking the question.....please define any difficult words..
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users