Philosophy For Us Dummies

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby MagsJ » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:05 pm

turtle wrote:mags--I cant believe all the silly shit being posted including my stuff
Perhaps we need to eliminate the silly thoughts in order for the profound ones to rise to the surface of the mind and be viable?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 18775
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:14 pm

MagsJ wrote:
turtle wrote:mags--I cant believe all the silly shit being posted including my stuff
Perhaps we need to eliminate the silly thoughts in order for the profound ones to rise to the surface of the mind and be viable?

yes mags...please dummies pay attention to my profound thoughts on GOD=NATURE and levs atheist thread....I have found a way to bridge the gap between theist and atheist...take a look and please comment
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:43 pm

turtle wrote:
MagsJ wrote:
turtle wrote:mags--I cant believe all the silly shit being posted including my stuff
Perhaps we need to eliminate the silly thoughts in order for the profound ones to rise to the surface of the mind and be viable?

yes mags...please dummies pay attention to my profound thoughts on GOD=NATURE and levs atheist thread....I have found a way to bridge the gap between theist and atheist...take a look and please comment


there is the person god and the nature god and they are the same but the atheist-theist debate rages on....there is a lot of ignorance...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:34 am

yes mags...please dummies pay attention to my profound thoughts on GOD=NATURE and levs atheist thread....I have found a way to bridge the gap between theist and atheist...take a look and please comment[/quote]

there is the person god and the nature god and they are the same but the atheist-theist debate rages on....there is a lot of ignorance...[/quote]
the person god is something that people want and need...it is only in their minds....it is a part of human nature
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Arminius » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:42 am

MagsJ wrote:Perhaps we need to eliminate the silly thoughts in order for the profound ones to rise to the surface of the mind and be viable?

Or you should get a new brainteaser? :wink:

Do you remember the first brainteaser I posted in the thread "Post a picture of yourself"?

I will soon start a new brainteaser for you.

Are you ready, Mags?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Arminius » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:42 am

Last edited by Arminius on Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby MagsJ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Arminius wrote:
MagsJ wrote:Perhaps we need to eliminate the silly thoughts in order for the profound ones to rise to the surface of the mind and be viable?

Or you should get a new brainteaser? :wink:

Do you remember the first brainteaser I posted in the thread "Post a picture of yourself"?

I will soon start a new brainteaser for you.

Are you ready, Mags?
Great advertising you've been doing there Arminus... are you sure you don't work in thqat industry? :wink:
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 18775
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Arminius » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:06 pm

MagsJ wrote:Great advertising you've been doing there Arminus... are you sure you don't work in thqat industry? :wink:

Yes, I am sure that I don't work in such an industry. I get no money for it - yet. :cry:
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:27 pm

turtle wrote:I will admit to being one of the dummies......
Let us start-------
1. How did matter and energy come about?? please define the words how, did, matter,and, energy, come, about.

2. How did life originate???

3. What the fuck is it all about?????



us dummies need to update...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Fixed Cross » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:02 pm

turtle wrote:1. How did matter and energy come about??

Because nothing was there to stop them.

2. How did life originate???

Idem

3. What the fuck is it all about?????

Everything. Whatever anyone finds it to be about.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Image
BTL
User avatar
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper
 
Posts: 8748
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:53 am
Location: the black ships

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:46 pm

1. How did matter and energy come about?? [/quote]
Because nothing was there to stop them.

what does that mean....help me
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:23 pm

I find few places left to post. Atheists, who seem to rule here, are just as literal as are the fundies they attack. But they just don't attack fundies, they attack anything seen as spiritual.
On the big qestion--How did it all begin (matter, etc.)? One can say God did it, that is was God. But that is an opinion. Atheists will counter it by assuming that what came into being has no need of a creator/sustainer.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12718
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Ierrellus wrote:I find few places left to post. Atheists, who seem to rule here, are just as literal as are the fundies they attack. But they just don't attack fundies, they attack anything seen as spiritual.
On the big qestion--How did it all begin (matter, etc.)? One can say God did it, that is was God. But that is an opinion. Atheists will counter it by assuming that what came into being has no need of a creator/sustainer.


maybe we don't know shit....maybe that is what felix is talking about on the existential commit thread....idk
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Orbie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:12 pm

this is beyond belief, god doesn't exist nor does he not exist. existence is not a quality shared by god, it is only essence. this is scholastic stuff. i think the scholastics were right in the tripartite division of existence, essence, and being.

does an idea 'exist'? of course it does, does an idea expressed as a word 'exist'? similarly, yes.
why come up with ideas? how? what's behind them? surely an idea is as real as the stuff behind them. god has a background. it has been generated from some thing(s), and thought itself is as a composite of those things , is like wise some thing. a thing is nothing more than the idea of that thing. and the absolute reduction of those things, or those two things, is not absurd, it has a genesis. in the beginning, was the word. before the word, nothing existed, at least nothing which could be thought about.

that absolute, is the god, the word, the idea and the love for it.

how can an absolute reduction generate love? by virtue of the reduction, where the surplus meaning is ever slowly cast out, toward those who have come to come up with the idea. love is=to compassion to those forerunners. it is a sort of repayment to those to whom the idea came, and became constructed by the passage of time.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:15 pm

us dummies....I am watching the forums closely.....there is a lot of anger and hatred......
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:05 pm

"I can smell a rotten egg without being able to lay a fresh one."--Walter Kaufmann. So try to avoid the rotten eggs. Nothing you can say or do will make them fresh again.
The anger here is usually, "You are not I".
Last edited by Ierrellus on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12718
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:14 pm

Ierrellus wrote:"I can smell a rotten egg without being able to lay a fresh one."--Walter Kaufmann. So try to avoid the rotten eggs. Nothing you can say or do will make them fresh again.
The anger here is usually, "You are not I".


us dummies are right on top of that shit...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:36 pm

turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:"I can smell a rotten egg without being able to lay a fresh one."--Walter Kaufmann. So try to avoid the rotten eggs. Nothing you can say or do will make them fresh again.
The anger here is usually, "You are not I".


us dummies are right on top of that shit...

We are?
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12718
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:"I can smell a rotten egg without being able to lay a fresh one."--Walter Kaufmann. So try to avoid the rotten eggs. Nothing you can say or do will make them fresh again.
The anger here is usually, "You are not I".


us dummies are right on top of that shit...

We are?


on to something more positive.....why is there so much unhappiness on ilp...and in the world...why do we take so many pills....
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:07 pm

turtle wrote:us dummies....I am watching the forums closely.....there is a lot of anger and hatred......


...and did you just dispel it, turtle?
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15589
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:12 pm

on to something more positive.....why is there so much unhappiness on ilp...and in the world...why do we take so many pills....

That's really not a positive statement you just made here there, turtle.
But perhaps one of the reasons is because we seek more happiness than we need to.
Another is because we haven't found something in our life that is so capable of turning us onto life - a raison de etre, so to speak, something to inspire our curiousity to give rise to the human spirit.
That doesn't discount clinical depression of course.
Those who takes pill do so because they feel they will work and for some they are needed and do work up to a point.
For the rest who take them it's a lazy shortcut into life - and death too I think.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15589
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
turtle wrote:us dummies....I am watching the forums closely.....there is a lot of anger and hatred......


...and did you just dispel it, turtle?


no...it is always there....it goes away if you don't relate with them...us kind dummies are still there...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:18 pm

this clinical depression thing is causing problems....it makes it sound like everyone has a disease that needs an anti-depressant....most of the problems are associated with the unhealthy lives people are leading...you are right about our expectations....we are digging an ever deeper addiction hole...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Orbie » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:51 pm

turtle wrote:this clinical depression thing is causing problems....it makes it sound like everyone has a disease that needs an anti-depressant....most of the problems are associated with the unhealthy lives people are leading...you are right about our expectations....we are digging an ever deeper addiction hole...



Because, symptoms are being treated. It's long past, when the causes were still optimistically treated, and reasons could be found for the symptoms. The word 'analyst', nowadays is more likely to be associated with a business, or a technical problem then with the psyche. The deconstruction of the psyche has replaced the ability to understand it or cure it. Technicians are more likely to approach this understanding, with devices, drugs then trying to evaluate who is responsible for what went wrong, the patient or society. Current view in this is inconclusive , divided, or inconsequential.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:01 pm

obe,

Because, symptoms are being treated. It's long past, when the causes were still optimistically treated, and reasons could be found for the symptoms. The word 'analyst', nowadays is more likely to be associated with a business, or a technical problem then with the psyche. The deconstruction of the psyche has replaced the ability to understand it or cure it. Technicians are more likely to approach this understanding, with devices, drugs then trying to evaluate who is responsible for what went wrong, the patient or society. Current view in this is inconclusive , divided, or inconsequential.

I don't think it's such an easy thing to evaluate who is responsible for what went wrong -- laying blame -- I suppose that there is enough to go around for many in the field, and besides, doesn't that kind of remove the focus from what is the most important thing - the best treatment for the particular person - drugs or a combination of drugs and therapy or just plain therapy. It's not so easy is it?
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15589
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users