Philosophy For Us Dummies

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Artimas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Fornication under consent of the king.
I thought it was Fornication Under Carnal Knowledge. But maybe you were being facetious. I don't bow to a king.


Both of them could be.
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:41 pm

A sign on the New England stocks meaning "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge".
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12714
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:43 pm

Lev Muishkin

What is wrong with me?
I get a lot of pain from my cancer treatment; I sometimes avoid doing things I need to do; my feet are flatter then they might have been; I tend to put on weight too easily; I love to drive too fast; I am afflicted by a bald patch on the top of my head.

I think, Lev, that you are far more than ornery enough to withstand ALL of that. I know that it is useless to say "hang in there" as I am sure that you do but anyway - HANG IN THERE!!
What is it that driving too fast gives you? Freedom and control than I would say go for it but make sure no one else is around.


If questions are 'just questions', then you ought to be able to answer these ones. What is, the colour of smell
;
I don't know if you were actually expecting an answer for this but mine would be that it depends on the smell and what is associated with it - what situation or memory. It might just have a color then. I remember a memory (redundant lol) from my childhood, without revealing it, a really sad and disappointing one. Every time I smell a particular kind of meat being prepared - which my mother was frying at this particular time - it makes me begin to get sick. I suppose I need to work on exorcising that pattern from my brain. It's a cross between a pukey yellow and brown. How's that for color? Wouldn't that be kind of a green though - isn't it yellow and brown which makes green? I may be mistaken in this. But I will keep the yellow and brown.


the sound of silence;

That also depends on the situation and one's physical space and desire at the moment. I've experienced beautiful indigoes, lavenders, cobalt blues, rich greens, beautiful shades of black, like a raven's wing.


the hardness of softness;

We won't go there.

What happened before time;

In what part of the universe or other universes? That's a beautiful question you asked to be pondered. An indigo kind of question.

How many angels can you fit on a head of a pin;

As many as you need to - their incorporeal you know. lol

What is the colour of darkness
;
That would depend on how willing you were to bear the darkness. If you love the darkness, it might just be your favorite color. Darkness can be indigo. I love indigo. And sometimes it's as black and bleak as the darkest moonless night anywhere on earth. But on thing about the darkness, you can always be sure that somewhere there is a tiny little light left. We just have to look for it. It's there.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."


"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."


“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15578
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:45 pm

thank you dummies for explaining fuck.....does anyone here believe in that dumb big bang SINGULARITY...and thank you arc for your wonderful answers....does lev want us to feel sorry for him...I think he is mad at what happened to him and he hasn't sucked it up yet...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Big bang singularity= "Let there be Light." The Genesis account of the creations is not averse to current science, except from a literal translation of the time involved.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12714
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Artimas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:Lev Muishkin

What is wrong with me?
I get a lot of pain from my cancer treatment; I sometimes avoid doing things I need to do; my feet are flatter then they might have been; I tend to put on weight too easily; I love to drive too fast; I am afflicted by a bald patch on the top of my head.

I think, Lev, that you are far more than ornery enough to withstand ALL of that. I know that it is useless to say "hang in there" as I am sure that you do but anyway - HANG IN THERE!!
What is it that driving too fast gives you? Freedom and control than I would say go for it but make sure no one else is around.


If questions are 'just questions', then you ought to be able to answer these ones. What is, the colour of smell
;
I don't know if you were actually expecting an answer for this but mine would be that it depends on the smell and what is associated with it - what situation or memory. It might just have a color then. I remember a memory (redundant lol) from my childhood, without revealing it, a really sad and disappointing one. Every time I smell a particular kind of meat being prepared - which my mother was frying at this particular time - it makes me begin to get sick. I suppose I need to work on exorcising that pattern from my brain. It's a cross between a pukey yellow and brown. How's that for color? Wouldn't that be kind of a green though - isn't it yellow and brown which makes green? I may be mistaken in this. But I will keep the yellow and brown.


the sound of silence;

That also depends on the situation and one's physical space and desire at the moment. I've experienced beautiful indigoes, lavenders, cobalt blues, rich greens, beautiful shades of black, like a raven's wing.


the hardness of softness;

We won't go there.

What happened before time;

In what part of the universe or other universes? That's a beautiful question you asked to be pondered. An indigo kind of question.

How many angels can you fit on a head of a pin;

As many as you need to - their incorporeal you know. lol

What is the colour of darkness
;
That would depend on how willing you were to bear the darkness. If you love the darkness, it might just be your favorite color. Darkness can be indigo. I love indigo. And sometimes it's as black and bleak as the darkest moonless night anywhere on earth. But on thing about the darkness, you can always be sure that somewhere there is a tiny little light left. We just have to look for it. It's there.


The color of the universe is purple. Purple is the darkest color, black is a shade as is white, not a color.
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Artimas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:08 pm

Ierrellus wrote:A sign on the New England stocks meaning "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge".


"Instances of fuck before the 15th century are rare. Despite it commonly being classed as one of the Anglo-Saxon four-letter words, Jesse Sheidlower (author of an entire book on fuck, and past editor of the OED so he knows what he's talking about) suspects that it came into English in the 15th century from something like Low German, Frisian or Dutch. While 'fuck' existed in English before then it was never used to mean rogering, instead it typically meant 'to strike' (which was, way-back-when, related to the word that became fuck because it's a kind of hitting...). Anything that appears earlier is most likely to be the use of fuck to mean 'to strike.' If you wanted to talk about making whoopee in a dirty way, the Middle English word to use was swive. [ETA: @earlymodernjohn asked if it's related to Modern English 'swivel' as in 'go swivel' and it is! The more you know...]

Another theory for why there's hardly any written record of fuck before the 15th century is because, if it was around before then, it was just too darn rude to write down. The coded example might have been an early way around actually writing it.

Another theory for its late arrival is that it's a borrowing from Norse (the Vikings) via Scottish because several early instances are found in Scottish writing (such as the 15th-century one discounted in that other article). However, this is generally believed to be unlikely, in part because the Scottish weren't considered influential enough for English to borrow words from them. Perhaps there were more early written examples in Scottish simply because they were less prudish about writing it.

There are lots of instances of the word fuck from before the 15th century drifting around, some of the most notable of which are, chronologically:"

Could be accurate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kate-wile ... 84565.html
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:53 pm

us dummies are dummied out.....
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Lev Muishkin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:14 pm

Ierrellus wrote:Science asks how; religions and philosophies ask why. Both questions are legitimate.


No wonder you are depressed.True why questions are only applicable to situations where purpose is involved. We can have access to human decisions and purposes. But even if you believe in god, experience and history demonstrate clearly that those bigger why questions are either unknowable, or just not questions at all; either the intention is obscure, or non-existent.
Sanity relies on the pursuit of personal purpose, not the invisible goose chase of universal intentionality which is not accessible.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
User avatar
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Lev Muishkin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:Lev Muishkin

What is wrong with me?
I get a lot of pain from my cancer treatment; I sometimes avoid doing things I need to do; my feet are flatter then they might have been; I tend to put on weight too easily; I love to drive too fast; I am afflicted by a bald patch on the top of my head.

I think, Lev, that you are far more than ornery enough to withstand ALL of that. I know that it is useless to say "hang in there" as I am sure that you do but anyway - HANG IN THERE!!
What is it that driving too fast gives you? Freedom and control than I would say go for it but make sure no one else is around.


If questions are 'just questions', then you ought to be able to answer these ones. What is, the colour of smell
;
I don't know if you were actually expecting an answer for this but mine would be that it depends on the smell and what is associated with it - what situation or memory. It might just have a color then. I remember a memory (redundant lol) from my childhood, without revealing it, a really sad and disappointing one. Every time I smell a particular kind of meat being prepared - which my mother was frying at this particular time - it makes me begin to get sick. I suppose I need to work on exorcising that pattern from my brain. It's a cross between a pukey yellow and brown. How's that for color? Wouldn't that be kind of a green though - isn't it yellow and brown which makes green? I may be mistaken in this. But I will keep the yellow and brown.


the sound of silence;

That also depends on the situation and one's physical space and desire at the moment. I've experienced beautiful indigoes, lavenders, cobalt blues, rich greens, beautiful shades of black, like a raven's wing.


the hardness of softness;

We won't go there.

What happened before time;

In what part of the universe or other universes? That's a beautiful question you asked to be pondered. An indigo kind of question.

How many angels can you fit on a head of a pin;

As many as you need to - their incorporeal you know. lol

What is the colour of darkness
;
That would depend on how willing you were to bear the darkness. If you love the darkness, it might just be your favorite color. Darkness can be indigo. I love indigo. And sometimes it's as black and bleak as the darkest moonless night anywhere on earth. But on thing about the darkness, you can always be sure that somewhere there is a tiny little light left. We just have to look for it. It's there.


I drive too fast because I love the feeling.
All the other questions are meaningless, but thanks for taking the trouble.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
User avatar
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Lev Muishkin wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Science asks how; religions and philosophies ask why. Both questions are legitimate.


No wonder you are depressed.True why questions are only applicable to situations where purpose is involved. We can have access to human decisions and purposes. But even if you believe in god, experience and history demonstrate clearly that those bigger why questions are either unknowable, or just not questions at all; either the intention is obscure, or non-existent.
Sanity relies on the pursuit of personal purpose, not the invisible goose chase of universal intentionality which is not accessible.


for christ sake cut the crap...we are dummies lev...if you want to be a dummy you must behave..
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Lev Muishkin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:19 pm

turtle wrote:plonk...that is good...do you believe in the big bang singularity


I do not believe in anything.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
User avatar
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:23 pm

Lev Muishkin wrote:
turtle wrote:plonk...that is good...do you believe in the big bang singularity


I do not believe in anything.


wrong....try again....you just don't want to say what you believe...you believe in rational thinking...i know this about you...
turtle
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8005
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Lev Muishkin » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:27 pm

turtle wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
turtle wrote:plonk...that is good...do you believe in the big bang singularity


I do not believe in anything.


wrong....try again....you just don't want to say what you believe...you believe in rational thinking...i know this about you...


I know my mind better than you.
I know rational thinking gets results, that is not believing.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
User avatar
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 am

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Artimas » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:46 am

Why follow beliefs, when you can follow facts.

None of us truly know anything at all. Humanity has barely scratched the surface of knowledge.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Artimas wrote:Why follow beliefs, when you can follow facts.

None of us truly know anything at all. Humanity has barely scratched the surface of knowledge.

The first statement is false.
The second is true, which is why we have beliefs.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12714
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Artimas » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
Artimas wrote:Why follow beliefs, when you can follow facts.

None of us truly know anything at all. Humanity has barely scratched the surface of knowledge.

The first statement is false.
The second is true, which is why we have beliefs.


How exactly is it false? Many people follow beliefs, some beliefs being the interpretations of facts, but this does not mean they are facts. A fact is indisputable and undeniably the case, it cannot be argued because it is. Most of the time or always, a belief isn't what is, it is what is believed to be. (Interpretation). Can we not discover fact without belief?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

Belief is acceptance.

be·lief
bəˈlēf/
noun
noun: belief; plural noun: beliefs
1.
an acceptance that a statement is true or that something exists.
"his belief in the value of hard work"
something one accepts as true or real; a firmly held opinion or conviction.
"contrary to popular belief, Aramaic is a living language"
synonyms: opinion, view, conviction, judgment, thinking, way of thinking, idea, impression, theory, conclusion, notion
"it's my belief that age is irrelevant"
a religious conviction.
"Christian beliefs"
synonyms: ideology, principle, ethic, tenet, canon; More
2.
trust, faith, or confidence in someone or something.
"a belief in democratic politics"
synonyms: faith, trust, reliance, confidence, credence
"belief in the value of hard work"
antonyms: disbelief, doubt

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby phyllo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:48 pm

A fact is indisputable and undeniably the case, it cannot be argued because it is.
Is that right?
You know it in spite of :
None of us truly know anything at all.


:-?
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11311
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Artimas » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:04 pm

phyllo wrote:
A fact is indisputable and undeniably the case, it cannot be argued because it is.
Is that right?
You know it in spite of :
None of us truly know anything at all.


:-?


Just because we know little to nothing does not mean what we do know isn't factual. Said we barely scratched the surface of knowledge, because there is an ocean of it. Anyone wanna go swimming? :lol:

"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing."
Socrates

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby phyllo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:20 pm

Just because we know little to nothing does not mean what we do know isn't factual.
How do you know that the vast ocean of the unknown does not contain facts which invalidate the facts that you know now?
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11311
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Artimas » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:46 pm

phyllo wrote:
Just because we know little to nothing does not mean what we do know isn't factual.
How do you know that the vast ocean of the unknown does not contain facts which invalidate the facts that you know now?


Then that would negate them as facts wouldn't it? I have not explained the facts of which I know now, nor have I given many examples if not any. Time, place, people and the like can change. Fact's don't.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby phyllo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:59 pm

Then that would negate them as facts wouldn't it? I have not explained the facts of which I know now, nor have I given many examples if not any. Time, place, people and the like can change. Fact's don't.
Good to know. :D

So they are not real facts now. :-k
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11311
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Artimas » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:07 pm

phyllo wrote:
Then that would negate them as facts wouldn't it? I have not explained the facts of which I know now, nor have I given many examples if not any. Time, place, people and the like can change. Fact's don't.
Good to know. :D


I tried explaining that facts do not change but time/place does on the other philosophy forum that I was on and they kept trying to give me examples of facts changing, such as "Oh, well I went to high school in 1980 but I am not in high school anymore, this is an example of the facts changing." No, the fact of them going to high school did not change, the time however did. It is still factual that they went to high school in 1980 correct? Just because they are out of school now, does not negate the fact that they were once IN school. It's just historical or past tense fact now.

Another example being "The capital of Maryland is Annapolis, if the capital changed, the fact regarding Annapolis as the capital of Maryland would change as well." Not true, Annapolis would of still been the capital of Maryland at one point in time, the change through time and place would not negate the fact that Annapolis WAS the capital. :) Just because it is no longer the capital, does not cancel the fact that it indeed was the capital.

I deal with blatant correlating facts. Such as for example children being natural creative, wondering opportunists and risk takers. Yet they are also naturally gullible, gullibility of which is most often taken advantage of by dominant teachings/faiths/beliefs/and ways of operating or performing tasks. It is a fact that children are naturally gullible, even some adults remain so.

I will give an example of interpretation of 'fact' as well. For example, the people used to believe that the world was flat as a fact. When truly it never was a fact to begin with, it was the interpretation and belief of it being a fact. Of which was disproved later on in time.

^ this last example is not equivalent to being past tense fact because it was never truly a fact, the planet was always round, regardless of what they interpreted or believed.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby phyllo » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:40 pm

I tried explaining that facts do not change but time/place does on the other philosophy forum that I was on and they kept trying to give me examples of facts changing, such as "Oh, well I went to high school in 1980 but I am not in high school anymore, this is an example of the facts changing." No, the fact of them going to high school did not change, the time however did. It is still factual that they went to high school in 1980 correct? Just because they are out of school now, does not negate the fact that they were once IN school. It's just historical or past tense fact now.
We only have you word for it. We could search the school records and we may find that someone with your name went to that school. Is it a fact that it was you?
And what happens if the records are destroyed? What are the facts then?
That ties into your post about the existence of Jesus. You claim that he did not exist and others claim that he did. What is the real fact in that situation?
Another example being "The capital of Maryland is Annapolis, if the capital changed, that fact regarding the capital of Maryland would change as well." Not true, Annapolis would of still been the capital of Maryland at one point in time, the change through time and place would not negate the fact that Annapolis WAS the capital. :)
People start out with simple (even trivial) facts and they end up believing that all facts have the same properties.
I deal with blatant correlating facts. Such as for example children being natural creative, wondering opportunists and risk takers. Yet they are also naturally gullible, gullibility of which is most often taken advantage of by dominant teachings/faiths/beliefs/and ways of operating or performing tasks. It is a fact that children are naturally gullible, even some adults remain so.
You generalize about a large population. Is that fact true for the individual and within a particular context? And isn't gullibility a range behaviors?
I will give an example of interpretation of 'fact' as well. For example, the people used to believe that the world was flat as a fact. When truly it never was a fact to begin with, it was the interpretation and belief of it being a fact. Of which was disproved later on in time.
There is a difference between what physically is and what we know (or believe) to be. All thought and knowledge is an interpretation of physical reality. It's possible to be wrong in that interpretation. None the less, that interpretation (right or wrong) is said to be fact at the time. What happens in the future is irrelevant to the present.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 11311
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby Artimas » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:56 pm

phyllo wrote:
I tried explaining that facts do not change but time/place does on the other philosophy forum that I was on and they kept trying to give me examples of facts changing, such as "Oh, well I went to high school in 1980 but I am not in high school anymore, this is an example of the facts changing." No, the fact of them going to high school did not change, the time however did. It is still factual that they went to high school in 1980 correct? Just because they are out of school now, does not negate the fact that they were once IN school. It's just historical or past tense fact now.
We only have you word for it. We could search the school records and we may find that someone with your name went to that school. Is it a fact that it was you?
And what happens if the records are destroyed? What are the facts then?
That ties into your post about the existence of Jesus. You claim that he did not exist and others claim that he did. What is the real fact in that situation?
Another example being "The capital of Maryland is Annapolis, if the capital changed, that fact regarding the capital of Maryland would change as well." Not true, Annapolis would of still been the capital of Maryland at one point in time, the change through time and place would not negate the fact that Annapolis WAS the capital. :)
People start out with simple (even trivial) facts and they end up believing that all facts have the same properties.
I deal with blatant correlating facts. Such as for example children being natural creative, wondering opportunists and risk takers. Yet they are also naturally gullible, gullibility of which is most often taken advantage of by dominant teachings/faiths/beliefs/and ways of operating or performing tasks. It is a fact that children are naturally gullible, even some adults remain so.
You generalize about a large population. Is that fact true for the individual and within a particular context? And isn't gullibility a range behaviors?
I will give an example of interpretation of 'fact' as well. For example, the people used to believe that the world was flat as a fact. When truly it never was a fact to begin with, it was the interpretation and belief of it being a fact. Of which was disproved later on in time.
There is a difference between what physically is and what we know (or believe) to be. All thought and knowledge is an interpretation of physical reality. It's possible to be wrong in that interpretation. None the less, that interpretation (right or wrong) is said to be fact at the time. What happens in the future is irrelevant to the present.


Children in general... are gullible.. You can spoon feed them a fairy tale/story and they will most likely adopt and believe it. Similarly, like when you tell children to go Snipe hunting in the woods and they do, even when there are no such things as Snipes.

I am not claiming it as fact or not, I am claiming that it is not viable evidence to claim that he does exist at all, because it isn't, it's hear say. 7-20 years after his death records suddenly pop up? Why not 1-2 years or perhaps at the time of his life? Makes no logical or reasonable sense.

Well they could ask the individual questions regarding the going to high school in 1980, what class, what prom theme, what teachers/classes, the correlations between the individuals age and schooling period, perhaps school ID, etc. Besides, a person can lie, but their DNA/Blood doesn't.

What is there to interpret about what has happened, what is happening and the like?

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3773
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users