The masters at xkcd.com break it down for us:

Also, not to shit all over every single person that has ever doubted me, but you can either aknowledge that America is a continent or stop trusting xkcd…:sci-fi-robot:

The New Age begins!!!

It surprises me that Mayans are so often taken way to mysteriously seriously regarding their calender. They used it for the same purpose we use it - to measure time. Except they didn’t cling so much on measuring Earth’s revolutions as is common practice today, but instead measured historical cycles - 2012, as it turns out, was the end of a cycle, not the cycle. This shift in context happened when the Long Count was crossbred with St. John’s Apocalypse. Why? Maybe the Christian Europe felt guilty for wiping out an entire civilization so they tried to ease their discomfort over it. Don’t know if it worked, but in any case, they found a way to adapt it to their needs - making people always in a state of constant anticipation, waiting for the End of Days…when the guilty will bleed…

Some things never change…

Xkd sucks. It has never made me laugh.

Or think.

The next couple years are going to make a lot of sheltered idiot western yuppies eat their words.

Doesn’t matter what you believe, it matters what the people running the world think and believe. Thry’re crazy occultists. You saw what they did 11 years before 2012. Imagine the 9/11 they have planned.

This is happening (at some point). I hope everyone is psychologically prepared.

Someday someone is going to have to explain to me how you occultists know so much about Masons and their doings.

That is simple: it’s because they are as well.

Read the background on Eyes Wide Shut, and then watch that movie.

Nice! It’s been a while since someone offered the possibility of a new path.

I saw the movie already (fantastic as always from kubrik), now I’ll try to track down the background. Any suggestions?

Dude just google Eyes Wide Shut analysis and check some out; they basically all say the same similar thing: he tried to expose some hidden stuff about the elite, using actual elite brainwashed people in casting.

And he was killed for it. The movie re-edited so as to hide it again.

From what you just said, it seems like I am on the right track with this one.

Yes. that one is good.

Ahh scientology rears its humorous head again(Tom Cruise)… Of course our Govt controls and of course it directs and of course the wealthy and powerful have the reigns… we may not like it but, thats the way the ball bounces.

You know just for shits and giggles, how is it folks actually believe scientology was anything other than a joke? L. Ron Hubbard masterfully manipulated the whole thing iin order to amuse himself.

This has nothing to do with anything said in this thread as far as I can tell.

Where this is truly interesting is when you are even remotely open to the possibility that we’re approaching another major shift in human history, more “Neolithic Revolution Part 2” than “Printing Press Part 2.”

Considering everything (a loaded statement if there ever was one, but cut me some slack), the idea that “something’s coming,” something unlike anything that history has prepared us for, is not hard to believe; and that ancient peoples would know when these major shifts tend to happen is not hard to believe either. Seems to me there’s any number of realistic possibilities that could bring about the kind of paradigm shift 2012 people are talking about: it’s been beaten to death in sci-fi but the discovery/invention of artificial intelligence would do it; the discovery of intelligent extraterrestrial life would do it; a complete crash of the world’s financial markets, someone dropping a nuke, science discovering their “theory of everything,” discovering a source of infinite energy, discovering how to stop the aging process, would all do it. And there are more.

From a slightly more twisted angle, I can understand it as my own Donnie Darko day. Maybe the world won’t end, but maybe I will die on that day (and what would be the difference?). Maybe my girlfriend of 12 years will die on that day - that would be fucking weird, and certainly paradigm-shifting.

Etc.

And then maybe there’s nothing to it all.

It is the future after all - everything’s a fucking wild guess and we know it.

How about the Rebirth of Christ Our Lord Thy God to walk among men?

How about the Second Coming?

Would that do it for you? :banana-dance:

I just wanted you to experience this little segment isolated.

I don’t think anything supernatural or cosmic is going to happen in 2012.

I just think that global economical ruin and world war III is going to take place at the end of 2012 or the beginning of 2013.

The world will still exist its just that there is going to be civil war on global proportions. :slight_smile:

Happy 2012!

Well on one hand it’s just hypothetical to begin with: i.e., if on December 21, 2012 aliens make contact, or Christ comes back, or whatever, if something like that happens, that the Mayans knew it would happen wouldn’t strike me as odd, it would strike me as par for the course.

On the other hand, there is an argument to made that knowledge writ in the flesh itself, produced over millions of years of evolution, is not inferior in any way to our modern notions of rationalism, logical positivism, and natural science - that it is these “new” evolutionary developments that are in the process of “catching up” to what “primitive” cultures knew all along.

It’s possible, hence “not hard to believe.” I didn’t say I believed it.

How is it not hard to believe?

Not sure I know how to answer that, Pezer. Same way it’s not hard to believe physicists when they talk about parallel universes, how it’s not hard to believe the philosophical implications suggested by quantum theory, or how it’s not hard to believe time slows down as you approach the speed of light? As a metaphysical, borderline-supernatural hypothesis, I’m just saying I can see it. Let’s remember what subject we’re on here, after all. We might as well be discussing Rapture hypotheses.