Top Fives

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: Top Fives

Postby Calrid » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:48 pm

Pezer wrote:Pops

1. Coca cola (or pepsi... isn't it the same shit?!?!?)
2. Sprite
3. Orange-pinkish soda that tastes like sugar
4. Grape soda
5. Dr Peppers

Words ending in "atious"

1. Mendatious
2. Vivacious (shuddup)
3. Haul-atious
4. There are less words that ende in "atious" than I originally thought...

Be creative

1) Selacious
2) pernatatious
3) libentatious
4) Irretatious
5) Knibenoferentatious

That's also my second set, words that don't exist but probably should. Thesuarationstnetatious guides meh who needs them.
“I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.”

Oscar Wilde - probably.
Calrid
Philosopher

Postby lizbethrose » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:36 am

I don't know what "have wank'" or do a "kit kat suffle" means. And I've often found banging one's head against a wall to be quite satisfying because it feels so good when you stop. Seriously, I don't watch television, we seldom go to a movie, and I turned away from music when it started to be atonal, clashing amplified guitars, unintelligible lyrics, and rap. There are really fine musicians 'out there.' I just don't know where to find them--and I don't necessarily listen to music for the virtuosity of the performer on a given instrument--although I heard a trumpet rendition of "Flight of the Bumblebee" the other night that was breathtaking. It was incidental background music in a TV movie my husband was watching.
"Be what you would seem to be - or, if you'd like it put more simply - never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
— Lewis Carroll
lizbethrose
Philosopher

Postby Stoic Guardian » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:08 pm

if you have a youtube account I could send you some good music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHBVV5fPm28
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary

Postby Flannel Jesus » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:19 pm

lizbethrose wrote:I turned away from music when it started to be atonal, clashing amplified guitars, unintelligible lyrics, and rap.

You just don't know where to look. There's something out there for anybody with ears, it's just not always easy to find. I put a lot of effort into finding good music, and some of what I find aggregates in the link below this post, in my sig.
Flannel Jesus
For Your Health

Postby volchok » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Stoic Guardian wrote:5)http://artofmanliness.com/

Not that I don't visit this kind of site from time to time (a bit more fashion related though) but I can never look at one of this sites without a pinch of salt.

Who gets to define what being a man is ? Who gets to tell others what a man should look like, act like and so forth..
And I'm not being pretentious, I'm a victim of this too. I love my clothes, I go to the gym, I wanna have a very specific kind of body...
But every now and then I see these things for what they are. Bullshit. Fight club comes to mind.

Anyway...

Top 5 "types of art"

- Music
-Architecture ( minimal and contemporary)
-Movie/film
-Photography ( conceptual)
-Sculpture (conceptual)
volchok
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Top 5 colour trends for 2012

1. Brights, preferably neon bright
2. Candy-coloured pastels for Spring
3. Hot shades like red, orange and yellow
4. Prints are in, preferably mix n match
5. Head to toe black is still chic as always
Examine what is said, not him who speaks.
~Arab Proverb
Imageaes dhammo sanantano Pali: 'this is the eternal law'

The Narcissist exists whereby every activity and relationship is defined by the hedonistic need to acquire the symbols of spiritual wealth, this becoming the only expression of rigid, yet covert, social hierarchies. It is a culture where liberalism only exists insofar as it serves a consumer society, and even art, sex and religion lose their liberating power.
MagsJ
Triumvirate

Postby Calrid » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Magsj wrote:Top 5 colour trends for 2012

1. Brights, preferably neon bright
2. Candy-coloured pastels for Spring
3. Hot shades like red, orange and yellow
4. Prints are in, preferably mix n match
5. Head to toe black is still chic as always

There is just something elegant and cool about black, and with men a touch of the mysterious. I have to say I feel chic in black, especially a decent suit.

However since my fashion sense has all the adroitness of mixing orange and green and none of the tailoring I'll pass on what is suave and leave it to someone else. :)
“I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.”

Oscar Wilde - probably.
Calrid
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Orange and green? you are so 'on trend' Caldrid and you didn't even know it :) the clashier the better this season...

I'm sure you look Very chic in black but I meant on da ladies :lol: men look dapper in black and women look chic.
Examine what is said, not him who speaks.
~Arab Proverb
Imageaes dhammo sanantano Pali: 'this is the eternal law'

The Narcissist exists whereby every activity and relationship is defined by the hedonistic need to acquire the symbols of spiritual wealth, this becoming the only expression of rigid, yet covert, social hierarchies. It is a culture where liberalism only exists insofar as it serves a consumer society, and even art, sex and religion lose their liberating power.
MagsJ
Triumvirate

Postby Calrid » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:18 am

Magsj wrote:Orange and green? you are so 'on trend' Caldrid and you didn't even know it :) the clashier the better this season...

I'm sure you look Very chic in black but I meant on da ladies :lol: men look dapper in black and women look chic.

:lol:

Bang on trend that will be a first.

Dapper and chic, this whole fashion thing intrigues me. :)

Oscar Wilde - probably.
Calrid
Philosopher

Postby chrisxmartin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:24 am

volchok wrote:5 things you shouldn't buy cheap just to save money:
1. Definitely razors
2. clothes in general
3. Food
4. Condoms :D
5. An education

Number five. Well played, sir.
chrisxmartin

Postby chrisxmartin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:46 am

Top five forms of art:

• Music: all sorts!
• Painting: the impressionistic stylings of Claude Monet
• Drawing: the geometric and very technical stylings of Leonardo da Vinci
• Fighting: Jiu-jitsu or Muay Thai
• Cooking: I am a slave to my pallet!

Top five men to whose ideals inspire me:

• Albert Einstein
• Socrates
• Winston Churchill
• Soren Kierkegaard
• Sun Tzu
chrisxmartin

Postby Calrid » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:23 pm

Top five men to whose ideals inspire me:

• Albert Einstein
• Socrates
• Winston Churchill
• Soren Kierkegaard
• Sun Tzu

• David Gemmell
  • Richard Feynman
  • Richard "The Anitchrist" Dawkins, although not for the philosophy
  • Daniel Dennett
  • Hilary Putnam

Props out to Genghis Kahn though, a warmonger but a bloody smart one. :)

Five "people" who leave me cold, aka five people who inspired me least:

• Ayn Rand
  • any Televangelist
  • The Nazis
  • Stalin
  • David Icke

Oscar Wilde - probably.
Calrid
Philosopher

Postby FilmSnob » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 am

Calrid wrote:
Five "people" who leave me cold, aka five people who inspired me least:

• Ayn Rand
  • any Televangelist
  • The Nazis
  • Stalin
  • David Icke

°Whoever wrote Inception
°Whoever wrote the Emerald Tablet
°Richard Dawkins (only the activism, the science is one of my greatest inspirations)
°St Thomas Aquinas
°Churchil

Top 5 ways to cook pork

°Slow roasted
°Pulled
°Fried
°Fried Bacon
°Chicharrón
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer

Postby Calrid » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:36 am

See there's no recipes there, ever thought of using some herbs and spices? Sure you do, but hell fried, baked, shot into the sun by Jesus and his angelic choir to the halelujah chorus, anyone can cook pork like that. :)

Oscar Wilde - probably.
Calrid
Philosopher

Postby FilmSnob » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:05 am

Calrid wrote:See there's no recipes there, ever thought of using some herbs and spices? Sure you do, but hell fried, baked, shot into the sun by Jesus and his angelic choir to the halelujah chorus, anyone can cook pork like that. :)

I am obviously not suggesting that you simply take a pig and roast it slowly with no additional steps.
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer

Postby thezeus18 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:50 pm

Pezer wrote:stuff

Top 5 ways to cook pork:

• Roasted on a rotisserie and put in schwarma or tacos al Pastor
  • Fried up as taco meat and put in tacos
  • In chili
  • In chili then put in tacos
  • Pork chops fried in mushroom soup

Top 5 blogs all the cool kids are reading: