Daemonic ☯

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Moderator: MagsJ

Daemonic ☯

Postby Erik_ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:20 pm

I've noticed that many of the college girls around my town aren't as intelligent, or even knowledgeable, as one may think. Though they have that erudite ability to gesticulate, posture and speak with a certain tone that evinces a distinct etiquette characteristic of those in a prestigious university, they really aren't all that intelligent, as I prior mentioned. I believe this, because when I speak to many of them, ask them about a certain topic, say, in philosophy, anthropology, or politics - they sort of freeze up in discomfiture and allude to something they vaguely remember in a past course. I press them more, try to find a common area that we both are familiar with, but still - they go blank. Honestly, I think many of these girls just come from very wealthy families - their parents pay for their college tuition and they just go to University to party and obtain the degree. It doesn't seem like they are, actually, interested in enriching themselves intellectually.

Image
User avatar
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Orbie » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:43 pm

but some do not go to the university as you describe. some really want to be doctors , and lawyers and whatever. and some are even pretty, and do not look bookish with thick glasses and that staing up in the laboratory to the vee hours of the night look. some even are dreaming of a good roll in the sack with someone as intelligent and cute like you, eric
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Peter Kropotkin » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:31 pm

If you want to really make friends, ask them WHAT THEY are interested in, not what you are interested in.
People love to talk about themselves, so let them. If they pause (take a breath) and ask you what you are interested in, you can then mention your interest in philosophy and see their reaction. Most people who
find out I am interested in philosophy, quickly change the subject or they run away. So I rarely and I mean
rarely ever mention I am interested in philosophy and I leave it at that.

Kropotkin
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security
wind up with neither."
"Ben Franklin"
Peter Kropotkin
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 6894
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:47 am
Location: blue state

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Erik_ » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:07 pm

Orb wrote:but some do not go to the university as you describe. some really want to be doctors , and lawyers and whatever. and some are even pretty, and do not look bookish with thick glasses and that staing up in the laboratory to the vee hours of the night look. some even are dreaming of a good roll in the sack with someone as intelligent and cute like you, eric


Yes - you are correct. Some are as you describe - I don't deny that. But one would think there would be more of those, esp. in the milieu of a university. It's kind of funny, because one time some bookish looking Cornell student came down to my boxing gym to do a project/report on boxers. She was very articulate, but also pompous and snide. I'm guessing she stuck her nose up, thinking I was the typical dumb brute, buttt nay, I pulled the rug out from underneath her, when I inquired into her major and intellectual activities. I asked her about philosophy; she knew nothing; I ask her about sociology; she knew nothing; I asked her about politics; she knew nothing. I just proceeded by explicating an interesting philosophical subject of mine. You could see it in her eyes and tell in her voice - that she was taken back, humbled and mortified.
User avatar
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Erik_ » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:37 pm

Nietzsche and The Beyond

I think Nietzsche was wrong to demonize the beyond. Yes - otherworldliness, more often than not, lead to the demonization of the Earthly, epitomized in Christianity. But Nietzsche just oscillated from one extreme to the other. Existence is characterized by duality, e.g., up/down, hot/cold, light/dark, etc. Symmetry is the harmony of these opposites. To demonize the beyond and merely glorify the Earthly would be an asymmetry and vice versa. Balance is key.

Image
User avatar
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Erik_ » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:30 pm

I know this is going to sound self-flattering, but what the hell:

I can't fathom how most people live such pathetic existences. The things they talk about, the things they do, the music they listen to - pretty much everything about them is base and petty. So much potential squandered. I used to be one of these people, actually - All I cared about was banal hedonistic activities. But after being bitten by the philosophy bug, I look at my past self in retrospect and laugh in scorn. I look at the average person and feel nothing but contempt. People are so modish and pathetic...

I've always been introverted and reserved; I couldn't engage in conversations with people, who merely small-talked. I still don't understand how people can perpetuate such petty chatter. I remember one time talking on the phone with my uncle - he would not stop talking about his broken fender on his pick-up truck. He literally talked about it for 35 minutes straight in such an arid and ponderous fashion. I've become very isolated and loner-ish, therefore - distancing myself from most people, as I don't relate to them. I like it this way, actually. Don't get me wrong, I like having company and being able to dialogue about deep subjects, but I prefer to be to myself, the majority of the time. I've always been a lone-wolf.

Image
User avatar
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Orbie » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:48 pm

step on, wolfe.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Erik_ » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:42 am

Christianity seems to be a sort of meta-physical product of the psychological need for the mother and father.
Now, I'm not a Freudian; I think he was a myopic asshole and his whole Oedipus-complex is based on an aberrant myth, a myth that deviated from a mono-myth of royal investiture ( I will make a thread about this another time, going into more detail ). But it seems apparent, to me, that most religious people, in particular Christians, are of the psychological disposition towards infantility. They seek to find new mothers and fathers to replace their biological ones, hence this adulation of the " Father" ( God and the priest ) and the holy mother Mary. Catholics are more matriarchal than protestants, the mother-need is strong in them. But all denominations share a mutual psychological dependence upon paternalism. And not only that, they want to spread their filth to the entire globe! I swear to Odin, if another one of these goddamn Mormons knock on my door again, with their silly attires on, I'm going to grab their stupid little bibles out of their hands, douse them with gasoline and burn them in front of their eyes, as I dance around the blaze, uttering sweet satanic lullabies.

Image
User avatar
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:21 am

I think that a good many people; not just women; go to college just because it's somewhat expected of people and not because they're actually interested in learning. I find that even guys are like as you mentioned, and you probably notice it more with women because you try more with women to engage them in conversation. What I find is that they push themselves forward intellectually whether they admit it or not and you have to keep in mind that for a long time in recent history, women have been kept down and not allowed to really form opinions of the world around them due to mans 'superiority'. It's easy to forget for some of us that women still get paid less by the hour than men in certain parts of the US. It's easy to look at third world countries and discount them as backward and primitive and to forget that America is still backwards and primitive in its own rights; it's just bigger and has had a lot more resources in previous centuries with a more powerful history guiding it forward.

When you get right down to it, Americans forget that even Canadians, Mexicans, South Americans in general, are still Americans, too; yet we have the monopoly on the term. WE are Americans. 'murrca.

Not to mention there are other things to life than intellectual pursuits and it doesn't do to forget these things. We still have our bodies natural imperatives of finding a mate, begetting children, dealing with emotions, love, etc. Women; like men; are more interested in filling class and sex and social roles than in furthering intellectual pursuit free from those roles and free from worrying what will happen if seen outside of those roles; more worried about looking good and being popular; to an extent even the socially inept do this; than in actually taking a risk and stepping out of their comfort zones.

Tell me something... when your nose gets a whiff of those pheromones and the smell of the female lotus dances in your nose and tingles your senses; is it really intellectual pursuits you think of or is the downgrading of intellectual for furthering carnal pleasures of the flesh? Even the greatest men and women in history had to worry about having a family and living life alongside everyone else; even the most socially ostracized. I've definitely noticed during my life that not too many people are open about discussing philosophy or science or anything else. They're happy with their vague understanding as they focus more on their day to day social interactions and maybe they're smarter than those who try to further their intellectual pursuits, for they know the score of life against such pursuits and they take an easy out.

Thinking is done regardless, though; no matter how much you try to avoid it, life will always force it upon you in eventuality. And, when you fully consider it, these ways of living we experience are creature comforts; bad habits and yet needed all the same to comfort and placate us; to escape for a bit from the greater reality surrounding us, which may not daunt some of us as it does others. At times, it becomes pertinent to hide away your intellectualism for a bit; not to try to deprive others from seeing it, but to enjoy some of the stupider pleasures in life such as hanging out with a bunch of women and having them try to play tame-the-man, lol. I mean, when you get right down to it, women have a greater emotional intelligence a lot of the time because its expected of women to be emotional while men are expected to be the hard rocks and to stand tall for their women while the women give silent and quiet support. I don't buy into such sexist roles because the duality of femininity and masculinity exist in all and quiet strength in a male speaks volumes.

To know more than others and to just say nothing or very little knowing that it is better than saying too much; when and where and what to say; could drive people insane. But, I will tell you this much: I've had good, intellectual, conversations with just as many women as men. And, realistically, at the end of the day, women are going to listen to man that tells them how beautiful they are and seemingly pays attention to them even if he doesn't; they're going to pick the man who can work and provide for their children and women aren't too picky about picking up and doing work themselves for that end. A good many liberated women in this day and age are more capable of tasting all of what life has to offer just by leading men on. They can figure out what they want and for these women, they usually want a man and not a boy. People in general don't waste much time on things they aren't interested in and the things they are interested in may just further a greater interest and be just a passing interest to them, such as the conversations you seek to have with them. And then again, it could be your timing, delivery, etc.

The whole point is that with the intellectual pursuit thing, people often forget to just be friends with people and to pick up the signs of conversational discourse meaning that if they would rather watch something stupid on youtube or tv, try to enjoy it with them and then see if they would enjoy some intellectual stimulation. I know a lot of women that love it when placed properly. All-in-all they're not so different than guys in a lot of things even though there is still the world of difference between the sexes.

Women consider this more than you might realize and also realize that someone caught up in a passion such as that aren't likely to be good mates and so they don't waste much time with them unless they share that passion; because our passions over ride every other thing in our lives even while we try to avoid having it do so. The romantic idea of a man making a sole woman his main passion in life is tempting to them and vice versa and yet we still have our creature comforts. How much thought have you given to decorating a house you might some day share with a woman, or names that you might give to your children? How much time have you devoted to planning a wedding you might never have? I mean, those are just as important pursuits to some as the most advanced thought processes out there and can mean a lot more while you're actually caught up in them, if you can enjoy them properly.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Erik_ » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:46 pm

Tell me something... when your nose gets a whiff of those pheromones and the smell of the female lotus dances in your nose and tingles your senses; is it really intellectual pursuits you think of or is the downgrading of intellectual for furthering carnal pleasures of the flesh? Even the greatest men and women in history had to worry about having a family and living life alongside everyone else; even the most socially ostracized. I've definitely noticed during my life that not too many people are open about discussing philosophy or science or anything else. They're happy with their vague understanding as they focus more on their day to day social interactions and maybe they're smarter than those who try to further their intellectual pursuits, for they know the score of life against such pursuits and they take an easy out.


Don't get me wrong, I like engaging in carnality and worldly activities, apart from philosophy. But one would think that, in the environment of a place meant for higher learning, there would be more people, genuinely, interested in enriching themselves intellectually. You're correct that most students are just expected to go to college and don't, really, have any deep desire for truth --- that corresponds to my OP.

It's not just the females either; it's males too. And yes, I don't always talk to females, with the intention of mere philosophical investigation; sometimes it's just because I want to...well...you know.

I'm not trying to say that everyone should just drop what they're doing and philosophize, buttt it would be nice to find more people interested in it, esp. in apt places, like a university.
User avatar
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:05 pm

It could be that your ego serves as a wall between you and the intellectual types that you're after. You know...smart people don't like it when someone walks up with the presumption that he's over everyone's heads.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25546
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Erik_ » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:10 pm

mr reasonable wrote:It could be that your ego serves as a wall between you and the intellectual types that you're after. You know...smart people don't like it when someone walks up with the presumption that he's over everyone's heads.


Quite to the contrary, sandwich man.

If you had read my second post on this thread, you would have discovered that some of the females I engage are rather snobbish, not me. I simply deflate their egos and pull them off their high horses.
User avatar
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:26 am

Erik_ wrote:
Tell me something... when your nose gets a whiff of those pheromones and the smell of the female lotus dances in your nose and tingles your senses; is it really intellectual pursuits you think of or is the downgrading of intellectual for furthering carnal pleasures of the flesh? Even the greatest men and women in history had to worry about having a family and living life alongside everyone else; even the most socially ostracized. I've definitely noticed during my life that not too many people are open about discussing philosophy or science or anything else. They're happy with their vague understanding as they focus more on their day to day social interactions and maybe they're smarter than those who try to further their intellectual pursuits, for they know the score of life against such pursuits and they take an easy out.


Don't get me wrong, I like engaging in carnality and worldly activities, apart from philosophy. But one would think that, in the environment of a place meant for higher learning, there would be more people, genuinely, interested in enriching themselves intellectually. You're correct that most students are just expected to go to college and don't, really, have any deep desire for truth --- that corresponds to my OP.

It's not just the females either; it's males too. And yes, I don't always talk to females, with the intention of mere philosophical investigation; sometimes it's just because I want to...well...you know.

I'm not trying to say that everyone should just drop what they're doing and philosophize, buttt it would be nice to find more people interested in it, esp. in apt places, like a university.



Lol, I'll be honest, I haven't been too many places where people openly philosophize and this is one of the few places that still tolerates me after seeing the worst of how I argue with some of the worst offenders to intellectual pursuits. There should be more people and there would be more people if not for the way society is. A good amount of people see philosophy as a waste of time, downgrading my arguments to third-year-philosophy-student status and then I thank them for presuming that I actually went or am going to college when I'm just another high school drop-out. You get the trolls, flamers, etc. that try to ruin it, and amongst all the people out there I've ran into, it's the rare individual that has become a friend of mine through our conversations; the very rare person who steps up to the plate and says 'yeah, man, I've been thinking about this shit, too.'

In truth, so many people think about these things and the sad part is that many of them don't even try to give their thoughts word to describe and explain them, thinking it unimportant or already summed up. Consider the fact that tens of thousands of years ago, perhaps longer, people were thinking these same thoughts in different fashions due to the technologies and knowledges of the time. I consider that every religion and spirituality and group stemmed from those thoughts in their differences and that the differences in thought processes were merely perspectives and perceptions that failed to coincide in the minds and eyes of those bringing them forward. I mean, you have to figure that it is animal nature to group together with like animals and all animals; to this end and to their varying personalities; accept this without question. But, these are old thoughts and for them to remain so pertinent for so long as philosophical ideas, trumping even science, religion, etc., is phenomenal to me. The fact that the last well-known philosophers were truly Plato, Socrates and Aristotle; not forgetting modern day philosophers like trotsky and Nietzche, but it becomes so many variations and additions to what already exists.

I think that's what pisses people off so much... they just can't escape the necessity and importance of philosophical precedents and ideologies. And yet, for want of power or control of others they find it meaningless. Personally, I don't care how people choose to live their lives, but there comes a point when things get a bit out of hand, such as in the modern age when and where everyone seems to be at each others throats and yet it is the first world-wide societal similarity and is what ties and connects everyone together into a similar struggle just to survive. The musings of Plato and Aristotle and Socrates mean absolutely nothing in light of these events for even their knowledge was stinted by having not seen what we are privileged to see around the world and it should definitely interest people, in my opinion.

I mean, realistically, in a better state of the world, more people would find philosophical ideas interesting and they'd be more open to share their imaginings and creativities and to share their different stories without ridicule, and there would be more people sharing those pursuits instead of the pursuits that tears apart the very societies we create. In a world that is swiftly changing, ego tends to go the four winds; it's just not important and there really isn't enough time in our lives to allow ego to run our lives. If you compliment your self or say something flattering about your self, it's said to be egotistic and arrogant regardless of how you pitch it and yet there is a difference to be noticed even to those who faultily diagnose a situation. The question of ultimate truth has been asked by countless people trying to skate free with treating others any way they want to to compensate for whatever darkness rests inside of them and they don't much care for return of favor in such a manner.

And, when I begin to wonder what peoples fucking problems are, I look back through history; look through the looking glass within my mind to see the darkness and insanity rampant in mankind and understanding begins to settle deeper in for the long haul and so the fight I've been fighting across the internet, wherever I go and throughout my life; why I don't regret a single thing, not even the things that I did that I consider to be dead wrong to do and why I will learn to be happy even while being homeless and having close family turn on me for lack of proper communication in learning more about my fight online or getting to know what I was doing when I tried to talk about it with everyone I know and they turned a blind eye and decided they didn't want to talk about philosophy or anything at all with me because I just kept coming up with great ideas and talking about things that weren't considered real because it happened on the internet; this fight keeps me going with its importance. It's the simple fact that a fight is undergoing and a war is occurring through the minds and bodies of everyone and even those caught unawares by events around them due to their own willful ignorance and that I'm too deep into it already.

To Hell with being perceived to be self-flattering... there is not a single motherfucker that has been able to step to me in a proper debate nor have there been too many interested in the long-term continuance of such conversations; I think just a few. I'm a talented asshole and intelligent as Hell and after years of struggling with insecurity, depression and everything else, I'm damned proud of my accomplishments. I think everyone should be. I've had some damned good friends, though, that love to talk about this stuff and when they bring new ideas to me that I haven't encountered, I love the shit out of that. I will live and die as a homeless bum if that's the final stroke of my life in a world rife with strife due to how deep into these thoughts I've gone, how far into my own fate I've dipped into. I should have died years ago, but here I am. I see you as a strong personality with good command of language and ideas and I don't even care about our differences. That's what a lot of people don't understand about me, if they care to question it at all. So many people getting caught up looking at and judging everyone else and all I've ever tried to do is look out for other people and try to warn them of long term cause and effect to their actions.

In the long term of anything, a lot of the things in the world today become pointless and yet they're there anyway as creature comforts to an addicted multitude who are to afraid to face their fears and move on for the fears put into them and the lack of proper teaching of strength and wisdom, etc. I honestly think that some people consider it self-flattering just to open your mouth and prove your own intelligence and talents to people through what you say; or through your hands in your creations with what you do with your life. It's a fair assumption to make that some people look upon it with contempt and wonder where you get the right to expose your self in such a manner, so heavily guarded is their own minds and yet if you leave it open, you'll find that it clothes itself with its own protections much like the Christians believe of God if you trust in God which lends me more belief that their concept of God is our subconscious and that still coincides with the idea of yin and yang and balance and discipline; meditation. These thoughts come from somewhere and to think that there is a common consciousness in us all that can be considered a God conscious and is conscious on its own without a body is interesting; along with how it might interact with reality.

How can anyone judge people who bring so many ideas that can't be brought down? You really can't argue with these thoughts and processes because it becomes an impossibility to do so just the same as it becomes impossible to argue with someone who refuses to listen to reason. Even cults of satan can't be argued with and have their own jewels of knowledge. Perhaps the state of the world should be one of constant war or subjugation they could argue and you could argue against them and for what? The fact is that the world will change on its own regardless of peoples arguments since their arguments don't always coincide with their actions and the sad fact is that our better nature, no matter how hidden in some, still prevents people from being as bad as they could be; no matter all of those who rose above those restraints... they still can't get very far for the delicate balance inherent in politics and governments; the system of checks and balances around the world that is out of everybodies control and prevents anyone from getting too far out of hand. Again, something that makes the modern age far more interesting when you look at all the news around the world and realize the mounting tension they try to shove under the rug and out of view; the momentum of events from the past that carries us into the future.

Here's the question, though: how to truly understand any tragedy of the world without suffering? Can't be done and so we can't heal the world until all have suffered equally together and that is the worst part of it and is luckily out of the control of others. You are just as much a tool of fate as I am or anyone else, even those you may not understand too well or have trouble seeing as equal. Each of these groups wants to push their ideologies across the world so that they can control it and have peace in their own fashion and I say let the stupid fuckers; all they're going to succeed in doing is mixing and matching cultural ideologies across the board and creating a combined might that has never been seen before, for the planet and for philosophy and for the greater motherfucking good; a rainbow army of multi-cultural diversity, brought together to fight a common evil and the trick is that whether it was intentional or not; it will happen anyway and I think it was both partially intentional and not because nobody could plan for it and if nobody had tried to plan for it, it would never have happened at all either way and yet happened all the same; all of it. 'It; being the long lead-up of society to the current age and all of everything that has happened that we play the blame game over. There will be a natural conclusion in the midst of everyone trying to force one to happen and I just laugh like an asshole through thoughts like that because all people ever had to do was just live life, let it be and let it settle itself and yet they couldn't do it and that becomes the horrible beauty of self-fulfilling prophecies; even the ones on a global scale such as the second coming of jesus christ, etc.

Second coming my ass. At that point, they concede the matter of reincarnation saying that this spirit will return and other religions are going, 'lmfao, dumbasses, that spirit has returned countless times already,' and yet each time it has a different name, doesn't it. Here we are talking about all of this and the simple fact of the matter is that we will still live our lives as they play out anyway based on our choices; best choose your own adventure ever and most people can't even properly appreciate it.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:27 am

Erik_ wrote:
mr reasonable wrote:It could be that your ego serves as a wall between you and the intellectual types that you're after. You know...smart people don't like it when someone walks up with the presumption that he's over everyone's heads.


Quite to the contrary, sandwich man.

If you had read my second post on this thread, you would have discovered that some of the females I engage are rather snobbish, not me. I simply deflate their egos and pull them off their high horses.


Maybe they're acting snobbish because they want you to go away, being that you're the type who thinks you're above others and can just go around deflating egos and knocking people off high horses. People don't like that kind of shit. I mean, there's some aspects of your character that seem obvious to everyone but you. Maybe you should know thyself better or something. I took 69 hours of philosophy at university, and worked in the department for 5 years, and still have lunch with, and hang out with professors on a regular basis. And I can tell you that knowing both sides of every ancient argument doth not an intellectual make. It's easy for someone to fool themselves into thinking they're really smart because they memorized a lot of things, or because they can construct proper rhetorical arguments. But there are shit loads of people in the world like that who are actually dumb as fuck and just don't realize it. I see them everywhere.
Last edited by Mr Reasonable on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25546
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:29 am

Phred, you've got a lot better chance of getting your points across if you make your posts a but less wall-of-texty and try and narrow down your points into something more digestible be the average forum user. I keep thinking that you're saying something that might be interesting, but no matter what...I'm not reading 1000 word posts.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25546
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:49 pm

mr reasonable wrote:Phred, you've got a lot better chance of getting your points across if you make your posts a but less wall-of-texty and try and narrow down your points into something more digestible be the average forum user. I keep thinking that you're saying something that might be interesting, but no matter what...I'm not reading 1000 word posts.


Oh. My bad. I must have mistaken you for someone who had a brain and wanted to use it. I keep forgetting that your name is meant to be ironic. Lol, I am so red in the face right now. I keep forgetting to cater to the children that visit this website and instead hold nothing back from what I put forth. You know, if you don't like reading my mountains of text, you could always just... not. I don't write it for people who don't enjoy it, I do it because 1. I have something to say and 2. because some people might enjoy reading it. Personally, I think you read it and just don't like some of what I say and instead of addressing it directly, turn to pulling out something like that instead of the trite tl;dr of your average troll and yet your delivery still smacks of the same sentiment. Wahhhhh.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Hey man, the first thing they taught my english 101 class was the importance of being concise. Another thing that my professor hated was what he called, "folksy diction". I'm just trying to help you reach a broader audience. If you have something to say, and you can be a bit more concise, and use a bit less of that folksy diction, then more people will probably read it. I know you're a really angry and aggressive dude, and that you feel like you have to use force with everything you say, but and that's ok, but you'd still accomplish more if you toned down your wall of text style.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25546
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby The Eternal Warrior » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:32 pm

mr reasonable wrote:Hey man, the first thing they taught my english 101 class was the importance of being concise. Another thing that my professor hated was what he called, "folksy diction". I'm just trying to help you reach a broader audience. If you have something to say, and you can be a bit more concise, and use a bit less of that folksy diction, then more people will probably read it. I know you're a really angry and aggressive dude, and that you feel like you have to use force with everything you say, but and that's ok, but you'd still accomplish more if you toned down your wall of text style.



Oh dear, I forgot to care about the taught lessons of some school I never went to and a class structure different than the english classes I attended. I don't give much thought to the people who don't want to read. They're kind of in the wrong place at the point of stepping into a philosophical messageboard on the internet. My audience is limited as it is and even if it weren't, why should I hold my self back because of their fallibilities in patience? I find that even a dyslexic person will read a lot if they find it interesting, even if it takes them days to do so. An interested person will read something multiple times to get a better idea of what is being said. So, at the point of hitting that wall, at what point should I choose to cater to people who may or may not be interested and if they're truly interested in what is being said, then shouldn't it show in their responses or lack of responses and therein lays a large portion of my problem with humanity, because it's just not as straightforward as that for lack of communication on the parts of others and yet the amount of views these topics get, alone, proves to me peoples interest in the matter.

Maybe I'm not trying to sell myself out to be found interesting by people who buy too much the wrong things in life. Maybe my goal is to actually teach people appropriate lessons and since you're interested in what I say, such a broad statement of tl;dr didn't fly and got called out upon. I do appreciate your constructive criticism, though. It is pitched in a better air than others I've seen, it's just that I am who I am and I have my own style that I choose not to change overly much just to please others. My aim isn't to please others but to actually do and say something worth doing/saying. And frankly, on that matter, my opinion matters more than others, because if I'm going to please anyone, it might as well be my self so long as I'm not adamantly and purposefully displeasing others. Should just be honest and say, I would be a lot more interested in what you say if you didn't repeat your self so many times and yet I do so for a reason; you could say you would like it more if it weren't so long-winded and I say it's long-winded for a reason and how do you truncate something rife with meaning without losing that meaning? Impossible; they've done it and it doesn't work. If you have time to whine about living, you have time to live and if you have time before you're dead, then you have time to follow your interests. It's just a matter of priority and what you're saying to me is that your priority isn't to read these long posts of mine even for the interesting parts that may be there and to that end, I just say, so be it.
Slenderman can invoke memory loss in all but the most resolute - you could have already had a Slenderman encounter and not remember it.
User avatar
The Eternal Warrior
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2562
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:26 am

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Orbie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:16 pm

Eric, the high horses may be like Trojans inversely attacking the computer like systems, when all they are doing is, trying to deflate something that has invaded them, viruses from way past, way way past, almost it coud be said deamonically, where; a newly emerging superman, invaded man, and from which understandibly the resolution was found the only way left appearently: by trickery. That failing, minions were called upon to overcome these defenses, in the manner of nullyfing the 200 ships meant to rescue? her.

No , it isn't that easy to get out from under that loop,
the not yet recovered original.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Erik_ » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Orb wrote:Eric, the high horses may be like Trojans inversely attacking the computer like systems, when all they are doing is, trying to deflate something that has invaded them, viruses from way past, way way past, almost it coud be said deamonically, where; a newly emerging superman, invaded man, and from which understandibly the resolution was found the only way left appearently: by trickery. That failing, minions were called upon to overcome these defenses, in the manner of nullyfing the 200 ships meant to rescue? her.

No , it isn't that easy to get out from under that loop,
the not yet recovered original.


That's a plausible theory, Orb. But I think the following is even more so: Perhaps the diabolical clockwork elves managed to finally escape from the subterranean penitentiary in the 8th dimension of the nether. If so, they excogitated brilliantly, no? And to think that the free-will vs determinism debate didn't come to a consummation - ha! Those lil-bastards, I tell ya. This explains the impetus behind the industrial revolution and the bay of pigs.
User avatar
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Orbie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:22 am

Actually, the viruses invading Sonny have actually shown how the internet is crying out for censorship. It is quite possible, that the U.S. created this fiasco, so as to give energy and creedence to move along the lines of cyber control, and security. That Obama blamed Sony for buckling under he 'threat', by equivicating national security with cyber security, way raise the bar thereby elimintatin the difference. To underline the difference, one needs to look at differences between the idea of human rights, and the more ambigous notion of freedom of the press. The former encompasses the later, and how this derivation works upon the mechanisms of believability is such that the derivative becomes one of a contrivance, into more general principles, which can not be authenticated. The effect stregthens the media as the message, but only if, a certain level of belief is suspended. Whether this effort is building into the 'i told you so, another claim for a smart conspiracy theorist's excuse to such effort' so as to build a foundation of the reality of what really is going on in cyberspace. That it has gone virtually bananas, is a good excuse to stat putting in the necessary filters. The next stage, probably mean deprogramming certain mistakenly induced facts. You may like this version better.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Erik_ » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:25 am

Orb wrote:Actually, the viruses invading Sonny have actually shown how the internet is crying out for censorship. It is quite possible, that the U.S. created this fiasco, so as to give energy and creedence to move along the lines of cyber control, and security. That Obama blamed Sony for buckling under he 'threat', by equivicating national security with cyber security, way raise the bar thereby elimintatin the difference. To underline the difference, one needs to look at differences between the idea of human rights, and the more ambigous notion of freedom of the press. The former encompasses the later, and how this derivation works upon the mechanisms of believability is such that the derivative becomes one of a contrivance, into more general principles, which can not be authenticated. The effect stregthens the media as the message, but only if, a certain level of belief is suspended. Whether this effort is building into the 'i told you so, another claim for a smart conspiracy theorist's excuse to such effort' so as to build a foundation of the reality of what really is going on in cyberspace. That it has gone virtually bananas, is a good excuse to stat putting in the necessary filters. The next stage, probably mean deprogramming certain mistakenly induced facts. You may like this version better.


LOL I was pushing your buttons, Orby.

I haven't been following that N.Korea/Sony thing; I rarely watch tv....

Kind of random, but what are you reading currently?
User avatar
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Orbie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:57 am

I wasn't reading it, i listened to NPR while driving, and the latest is North Korea's disclaimer to the charge of cyber espionage. It just occured to me at that time, that it may, yet be true, that they had little if any to do with it. The latest is that North Korea has suffered in ind a cyber attack, and most of their internet is down.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Erik_ » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:00 am

Orb wrote:I wasn't reading it, i listened to NPR while driving, and the latest is North Korea's disclaimer to the charge of cyber espionage. It just occured to me at that time, that it may, yet be true, that they had little if any to do with it. The latest is that North Korea has suffered in ind a cyber attack, and most of their internet is down.


I know, but I mean are you reading any philosophy books currently? If so, which one(s)?
User avatar
Erik_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:27 pm
Location: Kingdom

Re: Daemonic ☯

Postby Orbie » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:45 am

Usually what old(er)?guys read, in this case would like to get into the stuff You recommended, and am reading Goethe's poems. But alas, whenever i read them,,the thought overwhelms me, that i was born entirely in the wrong century.
[size=50][/size]Allone's Obe issance



In answer to your prayer
sincere, the centre of
your circle here,
i stand ; and , without
taking thought,-
i know nothing. But i can

Full well your need-as
you be men
This: Re-Creation. With a
bow,
Then, your obedient

servant now.
One gift is all i find in me,
And that is faithful
memory
Orbie
partly cloudy, with a few showers
 
Posts: 7596
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:34 pm
Location: Night of infinite faith

Next

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users