Moving to Atlanta

I wanted to ask if anyone here lives there or has been there. I am curious about what to expect in this city, so, if anyone just want to add some suggestions, much appreciated.

Thanks

It is boring. I would go hang out in Atlanta on occasion when at Fort Benning.

I recall it has a semi-submerged square, a underground plaza of sorts. Nothing like what Montreal had.

Also recall traffic being horrible.

If you can accept hot and boring, with road rage, Atlanta isn’t that bad. If your offered a good paying job, say take it.

I live in Atlanta and have most of my life. What part of the city are you moving to? I’m not sure exactly where to start as far as what to expect. Traffic is indeed atrocious. Rush “hour” usually lasts 6-11am and 4-8pm (2-8pm on Fridays), and we’re talking thick traffic with no discernible beginning or end on most major roads. Drivers here generally compensate by being more inconsiderate and driving more dangerously. There are some cool things to do in the city and some great places to eat that I can suggest. People aren’t exactly laid back here, but the city is so diverse it’s not difficult to find some good people. We’re part of the bible belt, so religion is huge here (especially Baptists). There are churches everywhere, so you won’t have trouble finding one if you’re into that sort of thing. Things are pretty well spread out, so it takes at least about 30 minutes to get anywhere. Expect to do lots of driving unless you’re a homebody. Not sure what else to say, but feel free to ask me anything.

Good luck with your move Omar.

Thanks
I’m still working the “where” issue. I’ll be working 3rd shift so I’ll probably miss the worst of the traffic. Trying to rent near the airport just a descent room but so far nothing in stone.
I will be there by 9/5.

Thanks Tab

Be careful around the airport, there are some pretty unsavory areas around there. Not all bad though.

Oh… working third shift means you will spend half your day out of the worst of the sun, but if your not used to the climate, be prepared, some days you can drink two gallons and still be dyhadrated. Sweet Tea feels so damn good on those days, but it is imperative to keep your electrolyte balance, sugar doesn’t do it. Drink and ask for a few refills of water, especially during the summer. All I did while in Georgia was look for more liquid to drink.

Hello statik

I would, except that I will be working at the airport so it is actually a reasonable choice to live near by. All I am getting is a damn room, hopefully with a private bathroom, but as of right now craiglist has given me no real alternatives. By the way, if you know anyone renting a room, let me know.

Hello Mr. Ferguson

Oh c’mon! You know I’m a vet. Third shift is nothing to me. From E-2 thru E-5 third shift was all I knew. Civilian life has always seemed easier to me because all you have to worry about is doing your damn job and none of this stuff of PT, uniform inspections, watches, duty, 12 on 12 off bs. The only thing that has ever worried me about third shift is that weather gets worse. 65 degrees in the day become 45 or less at night and so you have to put on layers, take off layers, etc. The times I’ve been to Atlanta, to interview for example, I felt that humidity. Dallas is nasty hot, but you don’t sweat. Atlanta can be at 85 and it feels as if you’re cutting through water. But that is ok. Miami is not a faded memory for me yet.

You’ll be pissing constantly. So damn hot. Restrooms for customers only.

Oh, you’ll be working at the airport? That’s cool, I’ve always loved the airport for some reason, ever since I was a kid. Anyway, I’m not saying don’t live near the airport, just be careful about what area you choose. I don’t really know anyone who lives near the airport now, so I doubt I’ll get wind of anyone renting a room around there. I’ll definitely mention it if I do happen to hear something though. On another note, I’d expect there are better places to search for rooms than Craigslist, unless you’re looking for something fast and cheap. I do know some people in real estate that could probably help you find something, depending on what you’re looking for I guess.

I’ve noticed (besides the crazy traffic and men who strip/beat off in their vehicle next to you) when in Atlanta, the P.M. weekend police convoy on the downtown highway at the start of their shift (lights going, quite a spectacle). The alternative clothing store no longer resides there says yelp. Good luck there Omar.

There is plenty of clothes in Georgia.

I used to early Saturday mornings go out to Columbus (not near Georgia) and found a really atrocious white silk shirt with Chinese dragons all over it. My girlfriend at the time kept trying to throw that shit away… her fault for not coming shopping with me.

They have a nice open sidewalk culture on the weekends for sales. I really enjoyed it. Can’t get more alternative than that shirt, women either gotta stare shocked at it, or turn away in horror.

Omar isn’t going to be walking around naked, save by choice. Many clothing stores to choose from. If your alternative clothing is whips and leather face masks and buttflaps, then I think Atlanta is not a good choice for you.

Stay away from the violent portion of the city. :wink:

Thanks Mongoose!

I’ll probably be checking out all the malls they have there. My first destination is that aquarium. I want to see those whale sharks. Centennial park is right there…choices.

Which is?

No one ever says the coca cola museum.