Roger Waters

If sentiment were the only measure of a lyric’s worth, Roger Waters would already be God. He addresses such issues as war, alienation, and the need for open communication. He paints large themes in broad strokes. But ultimately, a lyric’s worth is in its literary quality–how well the words are put together. In this way, Roger Waters soundly trumps. “All that is now, All that is gone, All that’s to come, And everything under the sun is in tune, But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.” Waters wrote that for the album “Dark Side of the Moon.” By writing that, he meant to tell that no matter what we do, it will always be in tune with the sun, meaning that everything will be all right in the end. Unfortunately, the sun is eclipsed by the moon, the moon, especially the dark side of the moon, is all the things in life that cause horrible things. Money, war, and other things mentioned in the songs of this album. Then after the song ends, once the volume has been turned up, it’s found that “There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact it’s all dark.” Much like Waters’ life.

The first track in the Dark Side of the Moon is divided in two. Speak to me, and Breathe. Speak to Me is basically instrumental, but if the volume is turned up in the beginning there are quotes, which cannot be posted here for there is vulgar language. Here is some explaining for why there are quotes, which are found throughout most songs in this album. Roger Waters made Cue Cards with questions, and gave them to roadies, anyone at Abbey Road, doormen, and members of the Wings including Paul and Linda McCartney. About twenty questions were asked, such as, "Are you afraid of dying?" "When was the last time you were violent and were you in the right?" and "What does the phrase 'The Dark Side of the Moon' mean to you?". Only the most spontaneous answers made if to the album. This has nothing to do with Roger Waters, does it? Why, of course. The music and lyrics for this album were all written during a short seven-week period where the band was preparing for a tour in which they extremely urged to premier new material. All those lyrics, one man, seven weeks. The only words left for a man to mumble are those of Jesus and Christ

"Any Colour You Like." Totally awesome. Probably the only song with no hidden quotes, or none found to the day. But rather than letting the master, Waters, do the psychedelic thing in this song, they let David Gilmour speak. Not with lyrics. With the sound of Gilmour's guitar. The words are heard screaming out of this song, it kills the brain little by little as you listen, only out of greatness. As a matter of fact, Gilmour was also a lyricist for Pink Floyd, but Roger Waters was much better recognized. O yes. This piece of writing is mostly on the Dark Side of the Moon because all the lyrics came from one mans thoughts, Waters, no Gilmour help at all. O, and it wasn't just these two who provided Pink Floyd with its life, and vibrant colorful sounds, and legend... for there is Syd Barrett. Syd the unforgotten hero of the early Pink Floyd, who virtually set the limits for British psychedelia with his fanciful songs and space-age improv. That defines Floyd.

The album Dark Side of the Moon is only a brief moment of epiphany experienced during a roller coaster ride (simple math, roller coast ride is equal to a human life). Before the music starts, a click-click sound like the anti-rollback mechanism of a roller coaster  when it is ascending on its lift, followed by the sound of psychotic screaming is heard... And then, o boy, we lapse into the world of The Dark Side of the Moon and its philosophical ecstasy genius.

well, is it worth an A?

Well, if it’s for English, I’d give it a B, but I’m extremely tough on people in that area… but I’m hesistant to comment specifically on that… let’s just say some sentences don’t follow from one to another, even in the first paragraph.

Your writing is good, though.

As a more informal peice/post I really liked it… especially, “If sentiment were the only measure of a lyric’s worth, Roger Waters would already be God,” and “All those lyrics, one man, seven weeks. The only words left for a man to mumble are those of Jesus and Christ.”

What, exactly, is the thesis, though? DSoM and Roger Waters? If so, I’d like to add, this album wouldn’t have been without the help of Alan Parsons… may want to tip your hate to this man.

I love this band, so I’m particularly biased to love your peice! Good job!

I’m a big Floyd fan, and feel free to post the lyrics, we’re not fucking prudes here. But that is a good essay on Pink Floyd, i believe i used to know every lyric to every song… It is good for someone to actually conceptualize after listening to music, i have rarely experienced that from another person, usually all i get are hackneyed expressions and emotions. I think the whole Wall album could be about alienation, the little ‘bricks’ we put around ourselves to shut out the World and keep out others.