Who are your favorite comedians?

I think one of the most important things that people can do is to laugh. Those who hone their skill to make us laugh contribute a vital and perhaps sanity-preserving service. Who makes you laugh?

And in reply to my own question:

Right now one of my favorite comedians is Dave Attel. This is probably because I see him so often on his TV show Insomniac. He is just an amazing smart-ass. Plus when I watch his show I can never tell if he is drunk or not. I think that he has developed his persona to the point where he being sober or drunk is nearly indistinguishable.

I also enjoy Eddie Izzard. He is a craftsman. He has made himself into a great comedian.

Magret Cho has turned her agonizing pain into our entertainment. Also a comedian who has grown a lot and become stronger and stronger over the years of her work.

And the giant, Chris Rock. A genius at seeing life and making us enjoy it all the more.

Ron White - a fellow Texan
Bill hicks - a fellow texan, god rest his soul
Richard Pryor - the almighty god of Making people laugh
that big assed fella on BET who had that whole skit about how crack’ll make ya’ suck a penis
Abbot and Costello
Cantinflas

WILL FERRELL

…I know he doesn’t do standup, but I agree with Jon Stewart: he’s the funniest man in America.

i’m glad somebody opened this topic…

mine is the legendary DON RICKLES

who, most of the other picks, have taken from

Dave Chapelle.

The Rick James episode, the Prince episode, hell, every episode of his show is just absolutely hilarious. I also enjoy the scathing social commentaries he does from time to time (the old balck man in the KKK comes to mind).

Not necessarily in this order…

Monty Python, Eddie Izzard, Ricky Gervais, Pablo Francisco, Chris Rock, Jackie Mason, Rory Bremner…

I was disturbed to see that Bruce Forsyth was listed as a comedian. Has he ever made anyone laugh? I reckon that’s a quality you need in a comedian. Just can’t call anyone a comedian. Dr. Wankenstein isn’t a comedian…Stephen Hawking’s left boot isn’t a comedian etc.

• ben

I like Jim Carrey and Jack Black. I’ve loved Jim since the first Ace Ventura and In Living Color (have I got that right? – years ago), and absolutely love him in ‘Me, Myself, and Irene’. Jack Black first caught my attention when he was interviewed on a late-night talk-show (I must’ve had jack shit to do) – I just remember laughing my arse off at him doin’ “Ya c’mon yeeehhh-haa!” – he was mo’fo’in’ hilarious… I love him in Saving Silverman and Orange County (off the top o’ my head) (and I don’t mean ‘scalp me’).

thank god people on here like comedy, its the best thinge ever!anywho these are my faves

noel fielding
lee evans
peter kay
mark lucas
vic and bob
rik mayal
bill bailey
eddie izzard

crimminy, im sure there are some more but these are definitely the best. (you might notice the very british influence)

the first thing I wanted to be was a comedian. My young comedic idols were Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor. But now, among many others, I utterly adore [size=150]Mr. George Carlin[/size]!

Mike Marino, a New Jersey comedian, also doing his first HBO special, has given me lot’s of tips on comedy for my act. So the last two weeks or so, I’ve been going on stage, and before I do my normal act, I start yapping my mouth away about a few things. Far from proffessional, very far, but I get laughs.

Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Richard Pryor
Dane Cook
Patton Oswalt
Michael Ian Black
Daniel Tosh
Stephen Lynch
The Modern Humorists

just to throw another name out there…Lewis Black…the white album is hilarious

what’s with people who, when you ask their favorite comic, name like ten comics?
it’s like their naming everyone they know.

GEORGE CARLIN IS THE BEST DON’T EVEN TRY TO DENY IT.

Monooq, people can’t decide on favourite comics easily because they are all so good and at different things, obv it all boils down to whose funniest but still, hard to decide methinks

You can’t have too many favorites. They are all great in their own way.

I agree that George Carlin is a master.

george carlin and dave chappelle are the best but i like george carlin because he says what no one else will say. he even has the guts too make fun of christianity

Bill Hicks George Carlin Eddie Izzard Steven Wright Jello Biafra

george carlin, steven wright and dennis miller

-Imp

Marx Brothers.