Any True Music Lovers/Experts Here

Are you speaking of an inate appreciation for music that has been creatively constructed and played? I consider myself a deep lover of music, but an expert of music goes way beyond love of music. What does it mean to be an expert of music? To be able to compare and contrast different styles? To be able to easily say: “That band is a rip-off of so-and-so because…”

I listen to an insanely wide variety of music…

Old Classical Favorites: Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Verdi, Barber, Strauss, Beethoven, and plenty of other small people…

Neo Classical Favorites: Williams, Horner, Zimmer, Holst, Goldenthal, Elfman, Morricone, Poledouris (big fan), Goldsmith, and again, plenty of other small people…

VGM Favorites: Uematsu, Uelmen, Kondo, Reznor, and tons more that I won’t bother to list…

Favorite Bands: Tool, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath (with Ozzy), Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Queen, Metallica, Megadeth, Mudvayne, Lamb Of God, Rammstien, RATM, Smashing Pumpkins, U2, Metric, Static-X, Daft Punk, Coldplay, Nirvana, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Soilwork, System Of A Down, The Gypsy Kings, REM, At The Drive In, A Fire Inside, Disturbed, Doobie Brothers, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Incubus, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Lacuna Coil, The Beastie Boys, Godsmack, AC/DC, and a bunch more that I don’t feel like putting down…not to mention the bands that I just “like” …

Favorite Artists: Sting, Billy Joel, Ozzy Osbourne, Modest Mouse, Johnny Cash, Pedro The Lion, Enya, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, and a bunch others in the R&B and Rap catagory that I really don’t want to take the time to list…

I’d list more, but I must go…
but with this, I ask: What would you like to discuss??

why is it that steely dan and talking heads are so under appreciated? what do music theory pros think about this? is this kind of over produced, technical craziness the pinnacle of musical talent or what? i think there are songs that are easier to get into quickly, but none have such lasting appeal.

the fact that these songs are so complicated means that you can listen to them a million times and hear a little thing that you didnt notice the first million times. there are so many things happening, its almost impossible to hear the whole picture the first time. i think this is why they are underrated, people hear a complex song like Aja one time and it seems boring. the first time i heard it i didnt even notice the drum solos!

That would be Dennis Chambers. If drumming was chocolate ice cream, he’d be Baskin Robbins.

I once saw a video of live performances called “A Tribute to Buddy Rich.” Dennis was there along with many other remarkable percussionists. There was a portion of the tape where three drummers were set up on a stage to duel with one another. I recall when Dennis, after hearing the other drummers and their solos, played what they played but with one hand behind his back.

You bastard!

yeah so the ones i italicized i totally agree
according to me, at least, i’d give you an 85% awesome taste in music
buen trabajo :slight_smile:

Cool…hey, if you like AFI, I don’t see why you shouldn’t dig At The Drive In…or possibly Fugazi… :smiley:

Dennis Chambers does wonders for Tool. It’s pretty hard to have Tool without him. :stuck_out_tongue:

Since when has Chambers played for Tool?

Did I miss something?

mostly cause i’ve never heard either one
have you heard this whole mystery thing behind afi?

Whoops…I mixed up the name…gah! I’m tell you this now, I have no idea why I keep mixing up Dennis Chambers with Danny Carrey…probably the initials in their names…

When you like a drummer’s style too much, it becomes a staple in your thinking…

What mystery thing?

ok…here’s the condensed version. (people, if you don’t care, dont waste your time commenting)

davey was born in the year of the rabbit, according to chinese esoteric astrology. this means he can’t be reincarnated. their ep “336” is titled so because the number 336 represents death and the events leading up to it. 337 represents reincarnation. now on the board the mod said not to think of it as 337 but 3 and 37. 3 x 37 = 111. in one of his songs he says “i’m 111 less than perfection” (perfection being 777 minus 111 of course is 666. DUN DUN dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn) (and no they’re not satanists) (at all) anyhoo, in some weird ancient religion thing (i dont remember the name of it) 37 is the number of good deeds you have to do to get into heaven. now the rabbit, the 336, and the 37 have popped up all over the place. like in the video “clandestine” they’re playing poker and there’s a rabbit on the card table, plus davey’s hand is 33367. the black showing 336 and the red 37. but there seems to be some thing with 7 too that nobody’s figured out. scratched onto the girl’s not grey vinyl it says “the answer is seven” and scratched into the sing the sorrow vinyl is “seven out with the gypsiness”. plus right before “this time imperfect” you can hear somebody whisper “don’t you understand…the answer is seven”.

also sing the sorrow represents a life cycle, starting with bleed black and ending with the leaving song part II. (thus, we have the reversed order of the leaving songs.) this is supported by the matching sounds at the end of this time imperfect and the beginning of miseria cantare, the lines breaking the leaving song part II and bleed black, and the fact that bleed black starts with faint breathing (beginning of life), and LS part II ends with him screaming abruptly (death).

there’s more but i’m tired.

ok…here’s the condensed version. (people, if you don’t care, dont waste your time commenting)

davey was born in the year of the rabbit, according to chinese esoteric astrology. this means he can’t be reincarnated. their ep “336” is titled so because the number 336 represents death and the events leading up to it. 337 represents reincarnation. now on the board the mod said not to think of it as 337 but 3 and 37. 3 x 37 = 111. in one of his songs he says “i’m 111 less than perfection” (perfection being 777 minus 111 of course is 666. DUN DUN dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn) (and no they’re not satanists) (at all) anyhoo, in some weird ancient religion thing (i dont remember the name of it) 37 is the number of good deeds you have to do to get into heaven. now the rabbit, the 336, and the 37 have popped up all over the place. like in the video “clandestine” they’re playing poker and there’s a rabbit on the card table, plus davey’s hand is 33367. the black showing 336 and the red 37. but there seems to be some thing with 7 too that nobody’s figured out. scratched onto the girl’s not grey vinyl it says “the answer is seven” and scratched into the sing the sorrow vinyl is “seven out with the gypsiness”. plus right before “this time imperfect” you can hear somebody whisper “don’t you understand…the answer is seven”.

also sing the sorrow represents a life cycle, starting with bleed black and ending with the leaving song part II. (thus, we have the reversed order of the leaving songs.) this is supported by the matching sounds at the end of this time imperfect and the beginning of miseria cantare, the lines breaking the leaving song part II and bleed black, and the fact that bleed black starts with faint breathing (beginning of life), and LS part II ends with him screaming abruptly (death).

there’s more but i’m tired.

It appears they have very creative ways of getting their points and beliefs across…if figuring out what the numbers are talking about, that’s an interesting mystery for hardcore fans to fiddle with.

Sagesound, you have really great taste in music, at least an 87%! My very favorite band is Nine Inch Nails and I can’t wait until the With Teeth album to come out this march. My other favorites are The Cure, Dandy Warhols, David Bowie, Queen, Eliot Smith, The Who and Pearl Jam.

The anticipation for With Teeth is killing me. I was commenting to a friend a while back that Trent really needed to put out another album badly as it’s been what…six years since The Fragile?
That kind of gap must amount to something…

I’ve read some people comment their wishes and hopes that With Teeth will have a similar sound to the Broken album, which I thought was a great follow-up album to Pretty Hate Machine, although I was dissapointed that it was too short. The evolution of Trent’s musical style never ceases to amaze. Each progressing album features a different, more deeper look in to the spirit of Trent Reznor.

Just as Nietzsche commented that there was only one true Christian, and his name is Jesus Christ, so is there only one true Industrial Musician, and his name is Trent Reznor.

Someone mentioned (not here) two very important developments regarding this album:

1. Its more vocal than the fragile.
  2. (and possibly related) Charlie clouser isnt there no more. :cry:

I admit, probably only me in the whole world loves what charlie clouser did, and thinks that when he did it he did it better than the slightly talented singer guy, whatsisname, ever could. Ruiner and heresy owned further down the spiral. Also. just for the sake of controversy. the high watermark of trent was nothing to do with him. Fixed killed!
:smiley:

Unlike The Fragile, which contained “pieces,” or less vocals and more music, With Teeth is already confirmed to harbor “songs,” being more vocal like TDS and Broken.

I’m really hoping With Teeth will be another totally original album, just like all his others. It seems impossible that he could come up with another totally unique sound, but if anyone can do it, it’s Trent. I’m excited for his tour coming up; I hope there is something within an 800 mile radius of my home. North Dakota is like a deserted island when it comes to music or entertainment of any kind. That’s a really great quote by the way!

Be careful of experts. It comes from the Latin, ex meaning ‘has been’ and spurt, a drip under pressure

Don’t worry, from what I’ve heard, Trent plans to go all out this time…even to Australia…he knows how much his fans love him, and he’s never made a dissapointment of a tour before…so count on him coming near you… :slight_smile: