Why I hate Rap

I love certain songs purely because their lyrics do a fine job reflecting real life. I shun rap because it does not reflect real life sitatuations. Sure, there are real ghettos, but most of us on this forums do not live in ghettos. You can even live in the most impoverished countries of the world and rap is still not reflecting your actual life. My message to rap artists: we’re tired of listening about rape, and violent death, and shootings, and killing of spouses, etc…

I hope no one here can say this reflects their life.

That’s my 2-cents on people like 50-cent… :wink:

Now, the songs I like for their realistic-ness:

Dust in the wind (Kansas)
The Grand Illussion (Styx)

Even the anti-war movent songs of the 1960’s are more realistic than rap. Although the woodstock era music may have lyrics with incredibly “deep” meanings (i.e. American Pie, and songs by Bob Dylan, etc.), they still reflect the cultural-turbulance of their era in a relatively accurate manner.

So, what do you think? :wink:

Come to Philly, rap is real here and that’s why I hate it.

To me, rap resembles ancient Greek poetry which was (may I call it) “rapped” in accented musical thirds. The Illiad was very violent as well, but I guess interpreters knew how to get the meanings hidden in the epic’s lines, which makes rap seem more play than art (if there is a difference between those two things). [Yes, second response and already proposing a tangent.] I mean, art is said to be a concrete universal, and rap seems to be either personal experience, desire, or self-exaltation – although much pop music can be said to be like this too.

As for the concrete question of whether rap music resembles anyone else here’s life, go talk with Thirst4Metal.

During the period of the Illiad, wars were, in fact, as violent as the book describes them. This was realistic.

Pop music is often incredibly unrealistic, too. But not usually to the same extent that rap is.

Since when have music celebrities been known to go around and start wars with rival bands? At the dealership where I work, we had a Range Rover come into the shop for massive body repair. The night before, a local Detroit rapper had been ambushed, shot, and killed while riding in his vehicle. The reason: his killer was a member of a rival band that was fighting for rights to [the killed rapper’s band’s] name. Look at this:

sohh.com/articles/article.php/6999

Go type the name “Blade Icewood” into Google, and look at what you get.

That is ridiculous. It is uncalled for. And we never used to have this problem (to the extent that we have it now). Do you want your child listening to someone talk to them about violence, and murduring of spouses, and rape, and disrespect to women? No, you say? Then why would you let them listen to rap? :wink"

BMW,

It’s all real man. It’s like a pimple that starts out as a little thing and then swells until it explodes with puss. Rap is the swelling of black insanity and suicidal thinking.

There’s no poping this zit though.

"knowing that opposites atract, the best thing to do , might be, to open winndows for security, as i fade into obscurity, just keep in mind that memory is paralac…—buck 65 (anguished language artist). buck 65, i vouch for, hes one of the few egoless rappers, that i know of.

to quote someone i overherd, while was trying to explain rap to you, he said “there are diamonds in the ruff” my philosophy teacher then said, oh yes, and with everything". they shook heads, and agreed.

the adler e. ann—“come to philly rap is real here and thats why i hate it” , that was a powefull post… you should leave philly. minneapolis’s rap scene is less dangerous.

Stillwater runs deep though, so…

mad deep. but nah theres trees everywhere. it also seem much rounder then most towns. here is a poem i doped about it,–Stillwater; the place that holds snow nicely.

a brand-new mic, and a room with insalation, colored pencils,–all i need is inspiration. “red white, right left”.===buck 65 hes from canada.

Wow, I’ve never thought of enjoying a town for its roundness let alone its ability to hold snow. It’s a great quality you have there! The capacity to enjoy geometry and literally capacity itself is one to be treasured.

Yes, but rap has become a self-feeding, self-fulfilling prophesy that thrives not on real life, but rather, on its ownself.

You can always find the scum of society if you choose to stoop low enough, but you do not have to live there. :wink:

“Yes, but rap has become a self-feeding, self-fulfilling prophesy that thrives not on real life, but rather, on its ownself”

I believe that, but I think that we have enough choices and ideas presented to us to be able to figure that out. I believe that rap is bought into by people that are suicidal, and “morally” bankrupt. I don’t mean middle-class white people that like it either.

I’ll buy that. But what about peer-pressure? I know of many moral and immoral people who have let their newly-aquired initerest in rap affect their attitudes. This is what I really despise. An immoral person does not have to do much to become more immoral. But it should take a lot more to “corrupt” a moral person.

Just my humble thoughts, anyways. :wink:

BTW:
I don’t even approve of Christian rock. Even if the artists are truly saved, they are not producing music with right intentions. They are doing it for the money and glory of man rather than out of genuine worship for God. But this is a topic for a different thread…

Category Error

Mainstream Rap sucks

There is plenty of good rap out there if you have a chance to look.

Blackalicious ismy favorite group… you won’t be dissapointed.

Well sometimes the path of a good person is first trying out a bunch of negative things first, so you never can be sure.However, I don’t think that peer pressure can get you to do anything that you don’t want to do.

Could you be peer pressured to star in a gay sex video?

this is what you need to know. rap 1 ; is about ego inflation, rap 2; is about imagination expansion, as well as the persons philosophies. rap 1 you hear on t.v. rap 2 you here on t.v. when someone dope has their i pod nano hooked up to the t.v. buck 65 is the only rap 2 that i am sure of. “rap 2 is beyond ego.” bakflip inflatable this rebate is non debateable.

the term for this is called “sincerity through sarcasm” — i be the badest mother fucker on this side of the planet.

GalacticHeart:
Dude, don’t be a “forum-redneck”. Due to your utter lack of common punctuation (well, it’s technically there, but in all the wrong places), I have no idea about what you just said.

TheAlderian:
Yes, but how far must good person go down a bad path before he turns to what is good? He cannot continue down the bad path until he has tried everything bad, so that he will deductively know what “good” is (by contrast). Correct? :wink: