Radiohead, music for the philosopher

radiohead is thought provoking because.

1. Thom Yorkes voice

2. What Thom Yorke is saying (the lyrics)

the music style has changed much since Pablo Honey (1993) to Hail To The Thief (2003), i find that the bends begins this thought provoking feel, and then OK Computer with its experimental and electronic and everything else sound that it had really brought the listener to another world. The world that it brings that listener to is a strange world, and upon listening to it the listener may see their world as strange, get those thought juices flowing and philosophise while listening to the music and trying to interpret the lyrics. the music is otherworldy, and beautiful.

that is why it is thought provoking.

just listen to a song like ‘idoteque’ or ‘where i end and you begin’ (or anything from Hail to the Thief really) and you’ll understand exactly what i mean.

I have this really vivid memory of driving around St. Louis with someemofag and our friend Adam and listening to “How to Disappear Completely” from Kid A. I’d listened to Radiohead before and liked them, but this moment is so stuck in my head. I can even “hear” it now and see Adam reaching for the controls on his cd player with the green LED lights glowing and the city lights blurring past.

Every time I hear that song, it takes me back there. It just strikes me in this way. Ahahahh! In·de·scrib·a·ble.

exactly, that is what is so amazing about radiohead. especially driving. you get these amazing feelings when the enviroment mixes perfectly with the music. its a intellectual and spiritual experience.

listening to “Let Down” driving my car in the rain, watching all the cars pass by and i thought about how ridiculously small i was how many damn people their are. i thought about how my universe…inside my head…was just one, and their were MILLIONS of others, the power of the mind blew me away at that point. that is one memory i will always have of radiohead

And they live in Oxford. :slight_smile:

I would like to imagine someone with a unconstrained enough mind to be given the label ‘philosopher’ wouldn’t exist on a diet of bubble gum mainstream top forty radio music like radiohead.

radiohead i discovered without having any prior knowledge of them, i heard about them from a freind and i listened to their music and loved it…they are not pop music.

you asshole.
im sorry that other people might have noticed that the band is amazing and they became popular. i never heard a radiohead song on the radio before.

I’ve been digging their early guitar album Pablo Honey–which they kicked ass on–but OK Computer and Hail to the Thief are fantastic as well. :slight_smile: Radiohead rules!

Doc:
What do you like listening to?

So, just out of curiousity, what’s everybody’s favorite Radiohead album/song?

I for one don’t have a favorite RH album, although I’ve been listening to Kid A more often than the others.

“Pyramid Song” is my fave song though.

Ever heard of that jazzy “Just” remix? It’s been playing in my head for a week now.

I’m sorry to say, while interesting, this thread doesn’t technically review the music of Radiohead. It is a discussion of the band. I think it will fair better in Mundane Babble.

Does anyone have a link to this remix? I’ve heard about it loads but haven’t actually heard it yet.

My favourite Radiohead album is OK Computer because it contains the most interesting blend of music. Pablo Honey and The Bends are essentially straightforward British rock albums with an anarchistic flavour (Radiohead being anarchists) and some wicked vocals but OK Computer is a departure to much more ambitious acoustic lands. The use of more synths and electronic drums mixed with acoustic drums and sampled vocals, more and more overdubs and the all the rest just makes, for me, a more rounded and exciting album. It’s often cited as the best British album of the 1990s but I prefer the Spice Girls’ Spice

im not quite sure what my favorite radiohead song is…
and i dont think i can decide on an album either…

i have to many songs that i dont want to leave out of consideration.
but a very good song is ‘Idioteque’ another good one would be ‘There There’, ‘My Iron Lung’ is also nice, theres really to many good songs for me to name one.

my favorite album could be…‘Hail To The Thief’, although ‘OK Computer’ is up there on the list.

you know the B-Sides are nice too, they are definitely a different style then what you are used to hearing,
I made a cd of my favorites (plus 2 songs from the bends):

Tetrakyts

1. Palo Alto
  2. Maquiladora
  3. Fog
  4. Bullet Proof…I Wish I Was
  5. Coke Babies
  6. A Reminder
  7. India Rubber
  8. Permanent Daylight
  9. Polyethylene (Parts 1 & 2)
  10. Talk Show Host
  11. Melatonin
  12. I am Citizen Insane
  13. Rabbit in Your Headlights
  14. Bishop’s Robes
  15. Lozenge of Love
  16. Worrywort
  17. Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong
  18. Nice Dream
  19. How Can You Be Sure?

and most of my favorite Radiohead songs that i could cram on on one cd:

Telescopium

1. There There (The Boney King of Nowhere)
  2. Where I End And You Begin (The Sky is Falling In)
  3. A Punchup at a Wedding (No no no no no no)
  4. 2 and 2=5 (The Lukewarm)
  5. Everything In Its Right Place
  6. Kid A
  7. Optimistic
  8. Idioteque
  9. Paranoid Android
  10. Karma Police
  11. Let Down
  12. No Surprises
  13. Just (You Do It To Yourself)
  14. My Iron Lung
  15. Street Spirit

Radiohead are a great band, one of my favourites. I know what you mean when you say the music and atmosphere mix perfectly. I know this might sound clichéd, but I remember listening to ‘subterranean homesick alien’ whilst on holiday, laying on my care looking up at the stars. The music seemed a perfect accompaniment and the sheer awsomeness of the sight before my eyes, the infinate universe beyond… it was moving to say the least.

Although I am not a fan of mainstream music, this is mainly by coincidence since most of it is shite. But that doesnt mean you should avoid good music just because it is in the mainstream. Yours is a very snobbish attitude.

i’m generally a bit of a radiohead nazi. I don’t like them at all, especially not their new stuff (although it is good live) and the pyramid song is the bane of my existence (sorry whoever had that as their fave) but I do have to say… street spirit, is one of my all time favourite songs from any artist, credit where credits due
plus i love thom yorke, his song with pj harvey is my fave pj harvey song

sara
xxx

Some have claimed Radiohead are racist, but it seems completely contradictive of their music and general philosophies. The people that claimed this were hispanic and claim that Radiohead are racist against hispanics because they dont tour southamerica. Radiohead dont tour often at all, they go where they are wanted. Obviously there isnt a very big audience for them in southamerica, I very much doubt they are racist.

I have most of their B-Sides as well. I’m actually staying away from “Towering Above The Rest.” It’s just too much for me. :laughing:

Here’s that Just remix.

download.yousendit.com/34071DC0142D4B53

Cheers, it’s an odd one and I must say that my first instinct is to loathe it. Mainly because Just is my favourite song of that album and I loved it the way that it was. It’s like Will Young doing Light My Fire…

who are radiohead

I tolerate Radiohead and that’s it.

My favorite band. Mainstream? Didn’t know that… never heard anything other than Creep on the radio.

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Amnesiac. It is also a great album.

Great songs unmentioned: Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors, Like Spinning Plates, Black Star (acoustic), Myxamatosis, 2+2=5, A Wolf at the Door, ah shit they are all great.

Yeah its kinda hard to pick eh?