Some new photos, what do you think?

Share and discuss.

Some new photos, what do you think?

Postby NoHotDogBuns » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:40 pm

took these on my mechanical SLR, I love film to death

If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live.
-Lin Yutang

Abstract Art: A product of the untalented, sold by the unprincipled to the utterly bewildered.
-Albert Camus
NoHotDogBuns

Postby Colinsign » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:20 pm

Photos are well good, particularly love the Sea Gull caught in flight, even though I find seagulls to be a bit annoying, but that's only because the ones in Glasgow are like Street Urchins, hunting for food, shitting on you by accident, and generally laughing smuggly above our humans head, because we cannot fly.
The man that cannot visualize a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot~Andre Breton~

Many a clever boy is flogged into a dunce and many an original composition corrected into mediocrity- Sir Walter Scott

Who has the courage to go into the dark places where there is nothing but feeling? - Thomas A. Clark

I'm a hyper-survivalist: when I walk past a Cemetery I hold my breath - Gamer

the difference between a madman and a professional is that a pro does as well as he can within what he has set out to do and a madman does exceptionally well at what he can't help doing. - Charles Bukowski

For everything that is hidden will eventually be brought into the open and every secret should be brought to the light anyone with ears to hear should listen and understand - Mark 4:22-23

Colinsign
Irrationalist

Postby Jakob » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:16 am

The black and white ones I think are awesome. The light of that shoreline is what it's all about, I think, on film. Where did you take that?
"But where does the call of distress for the superman come from? Why does prevailing man no longer suffice? Because Nietzsche recognizes the historical moment in which man prepares to assume dominion over the whole earth. Nietzsche is the first thinker who, in view of a world-history emerging for the first time, asks the decisive question and thinks through its metaphysical implications. The question is: is man, as man in his nature till now, prepared to assume dominion over the whole earth? If not, what must happen to man as he is, so that he may be able to "subject" the earth and thereby fulfill the word of an old testament? Must man as he is then not be brought beyond himself if he is to fulfill this task?" [Heidegger, "Who is Nietzsche's Zarathustra?"]
Jakob
Philosopher

Postby your cousin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:48 am

I absolutely agree with you! Film will never die, and I shall never convert. I am not a supporter of this photography reformation. Digital is good for some things but you cant beat film.
The human brain, after all, is just a computer that happens to be made out of meat. - Marvin Minsky

www.strangeloop-isis.blogspot.com
your cousin

Postby TheLizardKing » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:16 am

Those look cool. what makes film so much different than digital?
If we affirm one moment, we thus affirm not only ourselves but all existence. For nothing is self-sufficient, neither in us ourselves nor in things; and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event - and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed.

—Nietzsche, Friedrich
TheLizardKing

Postby Chato » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:15 am

your cousin wrote:I absolutely agree with you! Film will never die, and I shall never convert. I am not a supporter of this photography reformation. Digital is good for some things but you cant beat film.

These are all wonderful shots. But better than digital? I don't think so. Let me qualify my remarks....

What is true, is that digital, despite the claims, cannot match Medium or large format film cameras in resolving powert, although even that gap is closing.

There is another difference, which no Hot Dog buns is correct on. There is more dynamic range in B&W film than any digital camera out there. What this means, is that from White to Black, film can capture more of the highlights and shadows than digital can. A photographer would call this a two stop advantage. While this is also true of color, no one can notice this difference in color film vs digital. For color, the advantage is less than half a stop, while it shows up clearly in certain examples of B&W photography.

Finally, this difference between the formats is rapidly vanishing. Within twenty years digital will probably surpass film, which is not to say that film will disappear. There will always be those who like the "feel" of film better.

I've shot film for over forty years, and digital for twelve. On photography boards that I post on, I'm usually defending film from claims that digital is "better." Forgive my sin for attacking film... :o

Dave
"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"
Chato
Thinker

Postby Murex » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:44 am

Awesome work! =D>
All that can be imagined can, will, or does exist.
Murex
Philosopher

Postby Faust » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:33 pm

Great photos. I'm thorowing my friggin' camera away.
Faust
Unrequited Lover of Wisdom

Postby sirswedishmike » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:15 am

wow, thanks for posting
elitism does not just bring ugliness to the person recieving, but the also to the person dishing out.

http://www.myspace.com/theswedishfish
sirswedishmike
Philosopher

Re: Some new photos, what do you think?

Postby MagsJ » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:23 am

Great shots!
Examine what is said, not him who speaks.
~Arab Proverb

The Narcissist exists whereby every activity and relationship is defined by the hedonistic need to acquire the symbols of spiritual wealth, this becoming the only expression of rigid, yet covert, social hierarchies. It is a culture where liberalism only exists insofar as it serves a consumer society, and even art, sex and religion lose their liberating power.
MagsJ
Triumvirate

Postby tobermory07 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:40 am

Great photos! The first one has for me a slightly surreal, fantasy quality which I find particularly attractive. It draws my eye again and again. Very atmospheric landscapes which I like a lot.

B/W was what i started out doing myself first along with developing and printing in a home darkroom. The smell of a darkroom is very nostalgic for me these days!
tobermory07

Postby Phoebus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:15 am

I really love the first Photo and I'm not even sure why :)

Great photos
Doomed to see what is illuminated, never the light.
Phoebus

Postby anon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:59 pm

Gorgeous photographs! Nice job.
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"The bombs we plant in each other are ticking away." - Edward Yang

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment