Interesting Alex Grey painting

I just started looking at some of his work, and this painting really caught my eye.

Yea some of Alex Grey’s stuff is amazing

the first painting strikes me as religous

Spiritual in a way, not so much “religious” though.

biblical landscape + shitty outlook on current situation = religous :wink:

eye of the beholder and what not…

It does have some religious themes, but I’d label it spiritual

Alex Grey is a Buddhist

Third eye on the tree (anja)
Eye on the hand
Tree of life
eye on the earth
the sun
the moon, face on the dark side

The humans kissing is also spiritual

the buddha underneath the tree is somewhat obvious… but i felt a christian presence in the piece as well

i find the idea of a christian presence interesting, maybe the artist himself wouldn’t say the piece is meant as christian but the symbolism of religious ideas in various religions is similar to each other, as both buddha and christ are considered sun gods…maybe there is a single unifying link…or root in how we depict these ideas, or maybe they’re just cliche, but i’m not assuming the role of critic :-"

Buddha is not considered as a sun god. Christians use the sun as a symbolism rather than the actual realm or essence of Christ.

…i was thinking vaguely, there was an interesting video i watched awhile ago about the symbolism between christianity, buddhism and hinduism all being similar maybe even related but like i said it was awhile ago and the thoughts are vague, i’ll try and up a link if i can find one.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5672009516679691710&q=suns+of+god&ei=sdoZSMT0NKjkiQLA_qTkBg

Looks like a lot of stuff Tool displays in their CD booklets. WOnder if its the same artist.

It is the same artist.

I’m not a huge fan of cg art, looks too clean and plastic-y.

I agree. I think his work is very interesting but it seems lifeless to me in a way. Too claculating or something. To each his own though.

You guys should check out chet zar

You talking about meats meier there or alex grey?
I have a reluctance to even consider CG (computer generated) work as Art. CG work is too perfect, clean, it’s superficial. I dislike the Alex Grey work simply because the imagery is cliche.

Why?

EDIT for Maynard James Keenan: It’s not the same artist I thought you meant the work you posted was similar to the Tool artwork. Considering this thread is Alex Grey paintings and the image you posted has the name Meats Meier on it I would have thought that gave it away :unamused:

Alex Grey does do Tool’s artwork

^^

This painting, up close and in detail, is absolutely stunning

This doesn’t strike me as sufficient grounds for dismissing CG’s possibilities as art.

Although I’m not a fan either. It doesn’t have any emotional resonance with me, I find the composition too busy and not very good.

You mean my prejudices aren’t sufficient grounds for my opinions? :smiley: