Recipes

So, essentially you do not knowingly own, consume, use or exploit anything from the body of an animal?

Yes, it was always implied that if you wanted, you could bring your wife. I do know that you are married. :slight_smile: And your son too. :smiley: I just bet that he would get such a kick out of seeing the sheep, especially the little lambs. :slight_smile: And if a little lamb followed him around, omg, can you even imagine the look of bliss that would be on his face. He would be giggling and radiant!! No wine for him though. :unamused:

Insofar as not wearing ANY clothing derived from animals, I do share your sentiment when it comes to destroying an animal’s life simply to satisfy a person’s vanity, or pleasure, as in the wearing of real fur, for example. BUT, a sheep does not lose his life by being sheered. Wouldn’t you in affect, in a sense, at least, be adding to the raison de 'etre of the sheep or sheeps in question? I’m not actually kidding here. And you, your wife and child, as you were out walking in the chilly night air, could think of those wonderful sheep and feel such a sense of gratitude for having a part of them, in essence, wrapped around yourselves.

But again, I do wholeheartedly and unequivocally, share your sentiment when it comes to destroying animals.

I look forward to your and your family’s visit. I will have my humble abode swept out and fresh clean straw laid down for your bedding. Your family will also be sleeping close to the fireplace as it is quite warm there. I will sleep outside under the stars curled up to my favorite rock. It is quite rejuvenating.

apparently flirting in the modern age requires a devastating proportion of ‘smileys’… :stuck_out_tongue: :blush: :laughing: :-" :neutral_face:

[size=150]Hash Brownies[/size]

Ingredients
110gr pure chocolate
110gr butter
110gr sugar
2 little eggs
40gr flour
pinch of baking powder
50gr walnuts
little lump of hash (2gr is recommended, add more to increase the after-eating-joy)
oil to apply to baking form

Baking form

Instructions

1. Make dough out of flower, eggs, baking powder, sugar and walnuts.
  2. Cut the hash up into the smallest pieces possible.
  3. Melt the chocolate in a pan with the butter and add the already cut up hash so that it may melt and mix with the chocolate.
  4. Apply oil to baking form.
  5. Mix the chocolate-hash-butter with the dough.
  6. Insert mixture into baking form.
  7. Place in hot air oven for 30 minutes at 180c.
    :sunglasses: Cool down for at least 20 minutes.

Have Fun!

Oh. These sound good. But I can’t make them because hash is illegal here.

:laughing:

:laughing: If we lived in ancient Greece and had smilies and the internet, we’d utilize them too. Remember the orgies? The spirit of Dionysus sometimes just takes me over…up to a point and only as far as I want to go.

And I don’t flirt - I’m just friendly. And pav is married.

Well, milk and chicken eggs both come from the bodies of animals. I’m a vegetarian as opposed to a vegan, but I suppose that’s somewhat mitigated because I get everything organic and use free-range eggs.

I suppose that you’re right that sheering doesn’t really bother a sheep too much. The sheep population would probably also be substantially less if they weren’t valued (and protected) for their wool.

Ah, there you go. So, in essence, if you allow me to give your family and yourself these wonderful sweaters and wear them when you go back to the states, you will be performing a public service and also contributing to saving a species. The more valued something is, the more protected and fought for.

Do you think that sheering bothers the sheep…let’s say…any more or less than when a man has his hair sheered…you know, in order to go bald?

I suppose that patience might be an issue with the sheep though I think it doesn’t take long at all to sheer one, especially by an expert sheerer. I do not think that sheep experience any pain from sheering unless they are nicked :cry: but I know that sheep are able to hide their pain from prey as a protective defense. So how impatient and uncomortable can they be? But I can only hope they’re not.

I think maybe this deserves to be in mundane babble, don’t you, Pav? :blush: :laughing:

Oh, by the way, if you have a pet, you can bring him/her too. Speak with your wife and let me know when I can expect you guys.

Wow, you must be rich. :slight_smile:

Hey, I eat only organic as well Pav…when my finances allow it…
:slight_smile:

Have you ever wwoofed?

I eat organic and free range as well, and I don’t consider myself rich at all. If there is extra expense, it pays for itself in health benefits.

I also eat right for my blood type, which is type O. This forces me to think about food more specifically and carefully. Also, I generally avoid all grains, except for rice and oatmeal which I eat occasionally. One big bugaboo is corn, which is a total avoid, extremely fortunate since it is such a great contributor to diabetes and weight gain, particularly the high fructose corn syrup put in just about everything you can think of that can be sweetened. I have to read labels assiduously.

The idea is to avoid high glycemic carbs which help me control my weight. Also, when I eat eggs, it’s only the whites almost always, along with skinless chicken and turkey. Luckily, Whole Foods and Sun Harvest offer wheatless/gluten free foods, organic foods and free range meats, along with teas and drinks that meet my standards. Red Tazo tea uses an amazing carb and calorie free sweetener and tastes great, and Knudsen provides great organic spritzers. Life is good.

My blood pressure has always been low and still is, generally around 110 over 70, and my exercise and walking regimens are going well. Believe it or not, diet helps with that as well.

I have wwoofed for a farmer who used to say that if we don’t do things organically the price will be too high (because of the depletion of the fertility of our lands). According to him farmers are in the business of creating fertile soil. Pesticides and fertilizers do the opposite.

@ Jonquil:
Are you a diabetic?

No, I am not a diabetic. I will never even be close to diabetic because of the diet I follow. I agree that organic farming is needed everywhere; but in fact it is not that prevalent. I wish it were, but the gm and industiral fertilizer and pesticide companies won’t allow it to be.

I don’t know, the discussion of what does or does not constitute animal cruelty (this probably doesn’t) would most likely be ripe for Social Sciences.

I’ll do what I can when I have money! I appreciate your offer to let Nipper (European Shorthair Cat) accompany us.

Not at all. I’ve got an acquaintance that owns a farm, he doesn’t do anything involving milk, but he sells me eggs for $1.50/dozen. As far as the milk is concerned, it’s only a buck more a gallon.

Arjen, I don’t know what wwoofing is, I’m not even sure Wwoofing is the proper way to describe it as a present-tense action!

Why should a Type O avoid grains? My blood type is Type-O Negative and I eat a crapload of bread, cereal and rice. I eat only wheat breads, and use only brown rice and wheat pastas, does that make a difference? Fortunately, I don’t really eat too much corn, unless it just happens to be in something that I’m eating.

I could say that I only use the egg whites, but I would be lying. Intending no offense to you, I would not eat eggs if I only ate the whites because I would consider it a waste.

I like Bigelow Earl Grey tea, do you know if Red Tazo makes Earl Grey? Aside from that I mostly drink water, Vitamin Water, Millstone Coffee, Beer and Gin.

@ Jonquil,

I asked because I am. I became one because of my bad eating habits. Now I know better. I make it a point to inform people about their diets now. I am glad that with you and Pav That is not needed.

Do you follow the Zone diet? That is the one where you avoid high-glycemic carbs, and balance protein, carbs, and fat with every meal. It keeps diabetes at bay and really works.

No, basically I just bike a lot, which has made me lose about 30 kilos in about six months. I am going to discuss the situation with my doctor and argue my case for dropping the medication.