Greatest Movies of All Time?

I thought Crash was a load of pretentious BS… Crouching Tiger I thought was beautiful…

I loved Frequency. :banana-dance:

Never seen it… what’s it about?

Well, people are drawn to different types of movies and I’m sure my list wouldn’t appeal to everyone.

What I liked about Crash was the interconnectivity, the intersections of all of those different lives, and I also liked that none of the characters was black or white - there was no clearcut “good guy” or “bad guy,” every character was capable of deplorable behavior but also of nobility, depending upon the circumstances.

As for Crouching Tiger, like TTG I thought it was an absolutely gorgeous film - amazing cinematography.

Yes, unquestionably one of Hopkins’ finest performances - he was Bert. Also, “tweeness” = awesome word. :slight_smile:

Both of those films deserved a much wider audience, I thought. I can sort of understand why Waking Ned Devine isn’t well-known, not really any huge headliners, although it was hilarious. But The World’s Fastest Indian - it had Anthony Hopkins…never could figure out why that didn’t have better marketing and wider distribution.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M9rssz6tIE[/youtube]

Agreed.

Silent Hill.

Anyone mention Avatar yet…?

Wasn’t impressed by Avatar. You might have heard this but it’s like a reinterpretation of Pocahontas, and not a particularly stirring one in my opinion.

They were talking about Avatar on the radio show I listen to on my way to work this morning. All the dj’s agreed it sucked. I thought it was alright.

It was entertaining, but I personally wouldn’t put Avatar on a Greatest of All Time list.

I just watched this because of your post. It was awesome. I’ve seen other people play the games, but I’ve never played the Silent Hill series myself. The movie was great in it’s own way, but I think it also captured the mood of the games rather well.

A Single Man.

Yeah, it is a pretty messed up movie, but very well done I thought, very intense and surreal.

Loved that film. Have no idea why it never really made any mark in America, except perhaps the religious undertones which probably pissed off a lot of Christians, fundamentalist or not.

Spoiler alert:

It turns out the religious people are responsible for the whole mess.

yes

the reviews said it pretty much sucked ass and is a nerd wankfest

The reviewers are nerds, so it should really have appealed to them.

I disagree I think its a great story and genuinely creepy.

The fact they base it around a real town in the US that was abandoned because of geological activity, volcanic mostly, just makes it all the more interesting. kind of like a hell on Earth. :slight_smile:

I’ve never even played Silent Hill nor did I know anything about it and I tend to agree it is a good film.

imdb.com/title/tt0384537/

yup. and it got a pretty bad score on rotten tomatoes. which is why watching it myself was a nice surprise. if you’ve ever seen/played the games you’ll see that the film does a boss job. i will say that some scenes are over graphically over the top - but if you can put up with that then it’s really a decent movie with a meaningful story.

EYES WIDE SHUT. Immediately one of my favorite films. Just watched it.

The Boondock Saints…not a huge fan…entertaining and somewhat artistic – I would give high marks to maybe the first half of the movie – but ultimately too absurd and too pointless for me. I have always had a difficult time with comedies…but I have taken to some over the years, e.g. Office Space, Rush Hour, The Emperor’s New Groove, The Hangover, etc. Maybe I’ll think better of The Boondock Saints on a second viewing. Maybe I just wasn’t in the mood.