New Sherlock Holmes film

I very recently saw the trailer for this film. And although I’m looking forward to it, simply because it’s Sherlock Holmes I must say that I’m not at all excited about seeing Robert Downey Jr. playing the man…or even Jude Law as Watson. I suspect Guy Ritchie wants to add a little spin on things but just from the brief trailer Sherlock just doesn’t look like Sherlock. I’ve just finished the book (fantastic btw) and Holmes needs to be suave, cool, aristocratic…Downey is more of a pint and a fight kinda guy…I don’t like it…I don’t like it one bit.

Who do you think would play a good Holmes?

I’d say Stephen Fry if he weren’t so…bulky. If not Fry then…Rupert Everett would be perfect.

Guy Ritchie, what a toss…

david tennant

-Imp

Pierce Brosnan would not be bad, nor would Sean Connery.

Ooo Pav, poor choices…Brosnan is slick not suave…too much of a cologne man. And Connery…well, he’s too old and the accent just isn’t suitable, I don’t think he could hide it either.

I’m unsure about whether Tennant could pull it off, my first instinct is to say no, maybe he’s too young, and too much of a lightweight…he’s a good actor though so maybe he could pull it off but physically he doesn’t strike me as suitable.

Brosnan I’ll give you, but I still think Connery would be quite good. I’d actually think Sherlock Holmes would be more interesting with Connery’s accent.

im just throwing this out here but… Morgan Freeman…

I could see that working.

The best actors are severely emotionally disturbed or have anger management problems (like Christian Bale).

Personally, Downey is actually more Holmes than most people think of Holmes.

I hate all of what the authors now have turned Holmes into.
Holmes (By Arthur) was more like what Downey is bringing to the table.

He isn’t suave; Holmes wasn’t that at all by Doyle.
He was incredibly intelligent, with a radically unorthodox approach to criminal science.
He was a wanna-be suave…he was instead, a snob.

We was a radical all around, and he suffered socially from it.
He would lose track of thinking about social ramifications for his actions; Watson was often a baby-sitter to the “genius” in this respect; often making errands (and excuses) on behalf of Holmes.

I really hate and detest the current books and re-imaginings of Holmes.
I suppose it’s more of something that I take notice of since it’s been shoved down my throat since I was a kid because my Mother was so proud to be a distant relative of Doyle.

Personally, Holme’s stories were all boring as hell; not for the time-period mind you; for the time they were vibrant and I recognize that.
But for now…they are bland as dry bread.

And the attempts people make at reviving Holmes have always bent from this angle of thinking he’s some kind of Oxford genius with proper etiquette oozing from his pores.

He has more in common with Mozart than with Giovanni Agnelli (founder of fiat…renown for being esteemed, educated, suave, debonair, etc…).

And for that, considering his last roll of Iron Man as the rich eccentric, I think Downey is a perfect fit.

I think Wikipedia accurately sums up Holmes’ personality:

And by the way…Holmes uses various drugs when he get’s bored because he doesn’t have anything to work on…and has a habit of not being clean, destroying books, burning books in his fireplace, only considered marriage once because it was needed to get him information on a case, but finds interest in many women he meets but simply because he’s fascinated with their physical bodies and not interested in them for passion…

These, among many others, are not attributes of a debonair English gentleman.

Rupert Everett has played Holmes before, in a dreadful TV movie. I’m not sure whether it was the script alone, or whether he had a part in making so dire.

Steven Fry is too warm, I think; even in roles where he plays nasty types there’s something personal and personable about him.

If you want cold, intelligent and cut-glass English accents, maybe Richard E Grant? For the Holmes of the book, perhaps Gary Oldman.

Terry Thomas. :mrgreen:

John Holmes

for some reason, my gut instinct says Brent Spiner, the guy who played Data in the Star Trek, TNG, tv shows and movies. There is just something about him as Holmes i can definitely see. he was the first actor that i thought of as i read this thread. of course, we wouldn’t even think or visualize Data. i cannot see Robert Downey Jr. playing Holmes ](*,) although he is a very good actor.

i read the complete works of Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes one summer.

Hello!!! :laughing:

twelvenoon.com/brent/images/titles_01.jpg

Sherlock holmes was one of the best movie of year 2009. It is having nice flair of action , thriller and drama. I must say one more thing here that it is also one of the best movies created under the production of Warner Bros.

Sherlock Holmes was one of the best movies I’ve seen within the past few years, including the music.

Plus Rachel McAdams is unbelievably gorgeous. :romance-hearteyes:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neJJjrBhdIM[/youtube]