Cable and Televisions

I suppose I’ll just plop this here…it seems the most applicable section.

If anyone has questions about cable or television technologies, or needs help with a cable set-top box or tv set, throw out a question here and I’ll see what I can do for ya.

I do this as a job.
I sit around troubleshooting cable boxes and tv sets all day for the past 3.5 years.

And if you have a General Instruments, Motorola, or Pace cable box…I know those inside and out.

I do know some of TiVo in regards to cable cards as well.

…I’m gonna need help connecting my computer to our new honkin’ 50" plasma soon. I’ll keep you posted…

Sure, np.

Just let me know whatchya need when you get everything ready.

Well i am going to buy a set top box…what basic features should i check in that.

Eewww…why?

Well…actually; that depends where you are.
If you are in America; my normal rant is:

“Cable companies offer those with the service.
Yeah there’s a rental fee, but it’s well worth the alternative.
The alternative is that you buy an STB and it falls apart and then you are screwed.
To the consumer level, imo, they are too expensive (in the states) for the quality delivered.”

There’s a difference though…between an STB and something like a PVR.
An STB is a box that a cable company normally carries in it’s inventory that a consumer chooses to purchase somewhere (in some cases from the cable company) for a few hundred dollars (up to $800).

A PVR is like TiVo and is designed to be consumer level electronics; not provider level.
The difference in this is the difference in the quality of the stability of the hardware, firmware, software build.

Stuff made for satellite and cable companies aren’t made with the same level of quality as the stuff made for consumers specifically; not to mention stuff made for companies specifically lack a consumer support line.
PVR’s, like TiVo, not only have warranties, but have support lines and repair options.

So…I think you are looking at probably getting a PVR.

Things to consider at this point are:
HD
Hard Drive Size
ESATA Capable (in case you ever want to expand your hard drive size later [ trust me…HD can chew through even 250 Gigs of Hard Drive space quick)

You want to explore what menu options the system has (for instance, does it have a diagnostic menu for self-troubleshooting poor signal and box problems?).
Is there phone support group for the device in case you need help with anything regarding the box?
Does that support group actually know what they are doing?
Is there an online community of geeks or owners for this device (for instance, avsforum.com is a great place; some developers even post and discuss there).

Does the device allow for Ethernet connection for regular firmware updates?
Does the device have a versatile and intuitive interface that meets all of your expectations, and exceeds them, in the areas of television interest that you have?
Does the device have the ability to accept cable cards?
Is the device Tru2Way or OCAP (both are names of the same thing) capable? (this is a must; if you want to know more, look up en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru2way )

Comcast is F***ing me in the @$$, what do you think of Free-To-Air?

Open QAM is so unregulated that there’s no standard regulation on a TV’s frequency channel map.
Your TV may get the channels…then again…it may not.

What about Comcast is not working for you?

Comcast likes to metaphorically F*** me in the @$$.

I transferred my service on September 9th, and my billing cycle was supposed to be from September 6th-October 5th. My bill for September was initially sent out to me on August 23rd, and the charges were $141.68. I called Comcast and tole them about transferring my service, I then asked them if they could apply my current balance to my new account number, and they said my deposit would probably take care of that and then a little bit. I was told to disregard the August statement and that a new one would be sent out to me.

I received a bill for $200-something dollars on my new account number. I called and asked Comcast why the bill was so much this time and they informed me that there was a $49.99 bullshit installation charge for the new place, and a $15.00-something bullshit, one-time, second cable line charge or some shit. I had two cable lines before and they didn’t do that.

Whatever, I paid the bill.

October was uneventful, but then I go to the P.O. Box two days ago and there are two Comcast bills. The first one is for $141.68 on the new account number, and the second is for $400-something on the old account number.

As you can imagine, I was ready to walk into the local Comcast office and take a nice warm piss all over the first person I saw, but I called them again instead. They told me to disregard most of the bill on the old account number, and that said account should no longer be billed. They told me that there would be a credit of $98.45 that would be transferred to the statement I’d get in December and billed accordingly.

“Transferred for what”, I asked.

Apparently, they are charging me over eighty dollars for the four days (September 6th-9th) that I had service at my old address, even though they said it was pro-rated. I explained to them that (141.68/30) * 4 = $18.89 (rounding up the last penny) which is what I should be charged if they are pro-rating anything. I also explained to them that even with all of their bullshit charges for installation and everything, it still seems like I paid pretty damn near the full amount for September. Finally, I explained about the lady telling me my deposit covered it all.

This new lady informed me that my deposit came off of my first three billing cycles in thirds.

“Fine,” I replied, “It still shouldn’t be eighty-whatever; it should be $18.89.” I thought for a second and said, "Wait a minute, where is the other $10-something coming from, you said that I was charged eighty-something, but the credit is $98.45.

Apparently, they are taking all of the rest of their screw-ups having to do with forgetting to close out that account off of there, but they are still charging three months in late fees @ $4.50/month!

“Late,” I exclaimed, “I wasn’t fucking late, I was told not to pay! Why didn’t you credit this to the new account in September or October and we could have discussed this then?”

Anyway, they are absolutely not reversing the late fees because they said I didn’t pay, despite the fact that I have paid all bills on the new account and clearly would have paid the old bill had I not been told not to. They said they will look into my $18.89, “Opinion.”

I should also add that I get charged $2.20/month to have an unlisted number. That’s fucking ridiculous, the only thing it costs them not to list me is to put me in a fucking computer database that doesn’t fucking get sent to the assclowns that make the phonebooks.

The only positive thing I will say about Comcast is that I always get six months of Promotional Deal and then pay the regular price the seventh month and get six months of Promotional Deal again. All I have to do is call and threaten to cancel when my Premium channels default to the normal price.

Oh yeah, now that I’m done Ranting, what does what you said above mean?

Sorry to say, but that’s a pretty normal cable billing experience.
I can understand every reason all of that happened regarding their system and could break it all down as to what generated all of those charges in their system and why.
Our system is similar to Comcast’s system and all that it takes is one person jacking up a transitional order and everything you described will snowball out.

The only grace we have is that we’re far smaller than Comcast so it’s very easy for our company to admit error and correct the situation since the affiliation between departments is far smaller, thereby making the communication far more direct and consistent for each case.
Some still slip through the cracks, but on the average; we do the right thing and offer quality service.

My opinion of the Coaxial Cable Industry market is that it is too centralized to succeed the way that it should.
Coaxial Cable companies should franchise with local ownership and market independence.

If they did that, then they would literally tear other media provider technologies of sister industries apart.

Open QAM is a format of cable signaling.

Basically; it works like this: to be in line with FCC regulations, every cable company must provide certain channels to any residence on the cable network without even a cable box of any kind or any service package agreement so long as the consumer carries Open QAM capable equipment.
Or, another way of saying it is, if you have Open QAM capable equipment, then you can get this FCC mandated feed from the cable line on your house without subscribing to anything.

Now; that sounds great…it’s not.
Because the “Open QAM” equipment is your TV set; like “cable ready”, but instead “Open QAM” ready.
It’s such an unpopular feature on TV’s (consumers don’t demand it); that TV’s don’t even always list it directly as a feature at all.

Many new TV’s have this capacity.
The TV has to “scan for channels” (in some form of the reference to this concept via the settings menu) and pluck out the frequencies on the cable line that traffic Open QAM signaling.
Well, rather, some of the frequencies on the line carry a data line in them that is only useful for translating information via Open QAM standard and acts as a Rosetta Stone for the channel’s picture’s frequency to data translation.

However, that said…like I said; it’s not well regulated as to WHAT frequencies a given TV’s QAM table (a list of frequencies to recognize) include or do not include.

What that means is that, out of the few channels that are FCC mandated to be available in Open QAM (by comparison to the total channels a given cable company provides), only the ones that match up the frequency of the TV’s QAM table and exist on the cable networks frequency table at the Head End (the part of the network that originates the relay of the broadcast in your zip code or zip codes - sometimes connected to the primary feed of the company via satellite; other times trunk fiber line) will show up on your TV set.

They will also appear in raw format as there is very little in the way of image format data trafficked on raw broadcast.
Most of that information actually comes from settings handed to a cable/satellite companies head end engineering by the broadcaster (CNN, NBC, ABC, FOX, etc…), and the Set-Top-Box (cable or satellite box).

Your TV then takes that format data and adds to that, it’s format data from your settings choices (default or otherwise) and cancels out anything that cancels itself out (like 4:3 on the broadcaster, yet 16:9 format on the head end [let’s say in error], 4:3 on your cable box [let’s say you only have a standard def non-widescreen format set-top-box or some field tech jacked up the settings on install mistaking himself for the Geek Squad], but 16:9 force aspect ratio on your TV settings) and reinforces where applicable (like the feed all the way coming in at 60Hz, yet the TV converting the picture to 120Hz; or the feed coming in at 1080i [interlaced] and the TV converting this to 1080p [progressive]).

When you go Open QAM; you just get what the broadcaster sent, as the alterations the head end makes at the cable company are done through proprietary equipment supplied to them by cable network communications developers like Motorola and Arris.
What that means is that it can only be translated by proprietary connection and data codex algorithmic translation by equipment that has that information installed on it.
The only equipment that is going to have that is going to be equipment that is provided by the same cable network communications developers or by competitive developers that now utilize the FCC’s open source encouragement (not direct mandate) on cable systems technologies since 2008 as a means of becoming more functional more broadly to more providers (Comcast, Time Warner, my company, etc…).

So the bottom line is…it sucks.
And the people I talk to usually that are really Open QAM enthusiasts are something akin to corporate conspiracy HAM radio enthusiasts.
They mostly call cable companies and bitch them out for stations not working on their Open QAM and want troubleshooting from that company even though there’s no FCC regulation to mandate support for Open QAM because there’s no regulation on the TV’s QAM table; nor any regulation that demands that a Cable Companies signal must work on equipment that is not their equipment as part of their responsibility outside of the standard regulations of settings which are accomplished by default of the mandate to push the frequencies along as they come from the broadcaster with the Open QAM data tag attached in whatever frequency is best for the digital channeling efficiency packaging and marketing interests (meaning; 7 digital channels per 1 analog frequency; thereby the channels are grouped to a frequency broadcasting device [SIM QAM] that does so to send the most clear amount of signal information at the highest capacity of network efficiency of bandwidth and power conservation…and of course does have marketing desire forgiveness in the regulations).

So like I said…Open QAM sucks.

Now what rocks?
Cable.
What is going to really start rocking more?
Cable.

It’s on the verge of being fully mobile on quite a liberal scale.
The only thing holding that back right now is actually the cable network developing companies; not the providers.
And right now, they are battling each other.
There are the google-like-company developers right now battling it out with the microsoft-like-company developers.
The googloids are pushing for a world of open source and provider development (meaning creating tools for the provider to use to develop their own software and features), meanwhile the microsoftians are moving politically to try to counter-use the open source technology to further the proprietary agendas that have continued to show trusted returns for the majority of the cable industries carriers.

All of this is going on behind and above the heads of anyone you normally talk to in Comcast.
This is more at the VP (of the company; not the VP of a department), Product Development, Product Lab, and Network Engineering department levels.

Now; the only current alternative to your cable-woes that I think is worth a damn is to use a CableCARD in your TV set (if it takes one), or TiVo.
The CableCARD must be carries by every cable company; if they say they do not carry them for consumers…then they are in breach of FCC regulated mandate since 2008.

No cable company is allowed to deny a CableCARD to a consumer; nor may they force you to pay for a Set-Top-Box.
If a Set-Top-Box is the only way possible of receiving their cable service and you do not want a cable box, and you cannot use a CableCARD (in your TV), then you will be given a free of charge cable box (will not be a DVR and will lack some features).

If you use a CableCARD in your TV and you want to record, then you will need to have an HDMI or Component (or similar) output from your TV set to a DVD recorder or the like.

You will not likely be able to access Video OnDemand because VOD uses the cable companies software build to transmit over IP address through coaxial cable television frequency (somewhere in the higher bandwidth ranges close to your cable modems signal - ergo; if you have crap modem signal, then you may have vod issues as well though your cable tv picture will be fine).

Since your TV doesn’t have the software application that the cable company is using to launch the IP streaming applet for VOD, you won’t get that.

Fortunately; there’s yet another alternative.
Many new TV’s are coming with built-in “VOD” variations (I put VOD in quotes because “VOD” is a product name; not a standard technology. VOD is an affiliate like the UN, but for broadcasters to providers; netflix is an example of an independent that does not fall into the “VOD” affiliate but simulates the same result).

The only thing you need is an Ethernet cord and registration through the TV’s “VOD” variation’s menu.
Some are free registration and charge for movies.
Some are monthly/yearly registration charge and charge for movies.

Just depends what’s on the TV’s system; check when buying a TV.
If they don’t know at the store; go somewhere else…they have no business selling TV’s.

So…to recap.
You’ll still need a cable subscription (for my alternative) and pay for that.
And you’ll still pay about 3 to 7 bucks a month (depending where you live) for the CableCARD.
But you won’t need to pay your cable for VOD, and you won’t need to pay your cable for a set-top-box.

It’s up to you.

Personally; I think about the only part of it that’s worth it…is the VOD alternatives.
The rest is far too much of a bother imo, to go after something that is largely too much work for what comes far more easily from the company via their box.

Now, a word of advice.
When your cable company says:
They are NOT going to charge you.
They are going to give you a credit.
To disregard a demanded payment.
To disregard charges.
Prorates will accrue in a given manner.
Or anything similar.

GET IT IN WRITING.
And when you GET IT IN WRITING, don’t have them mail it to you.
HAVE THEM FAX IT TO YOUR NEAREST RETAIL STORE WHERE YOU ARE STANDING.

Also.
DON’T WORK WITH LOCAL STORES.
Cable isn’t Franchised.
Local stores are less trained than the phone group because the stores have higher turn-over rates (if you think about it; it’s obvious as to why).

Phone groups have more recourses available from the central database and are more in-tune with the central database than local stores.
But USE THE LOCAL STORE as YOUR OFFICE.

Have everything for you that you need copies of faxed or mailed to the LOCAL STORE for you.
(not the bill of course)

If they insist to send to your address, allow for it, but also insist on receiving a copy at the Local Store.

This is the most useful method of protecting yourself from the amoebic tragedy that is the cable consumer financial centralized database network.

I agree with you 100%. They’re essentially a local-market monopoly in many regions (including mine). Essentially, it’s them or it’s the Dish, and I’m not touching the stupid dish because if my dog pisses in the backyard, I’ll lose my signal for three and a half months.

I’d be interested in how those charges broke down in their system and why so that I can call them back and argue with them some more. Either that, or I may call them and tell them to change the $80-something to $18.89 and waive all the late fees or I cancel. I’m not sure yet.

I don’t watch TV very much, and my son gets two hours a day and generally prefers DVD’s, so I’m not afraid to cancel. My wife rarely watches TV either.

I tried that scan for channels once on my Sylvania 37" LCD HDTV w/DVD Player, before Comcast transferred the service but when I lived in the new house and it didn’t find anything. All it kept saying was, “No Signal.”

Unfortunately, I’m going to go with the synopsis, “It sucks,” for everything else related to open QAM, because while I read every word of what you so kindly took the time to type, I didn’t understand anything you said.

The cable company should tell them to fuck off if they are not a subscriber, why do they think they have the right to call them if they do not subscribe? That’s probably part of why the bill is so high, having to devote their resources to talk to people who don’t pay.

Why is that any good?

What does a TiVo do? Is it free or cheaper than cable and does not screw people over?

What precisely is a CableCARD?

That’s cool with me, I don’t know how to record anything anyway.

Does modem signal mean your Internet connection sucks? Mine definitely sucks.

I’m also going to get everything in writing from now on. I thought that I could trust them because I’ve never had a billing problem and they always give me the Promotional Deal. It seems like they want to keep my business until recently…

One other thing:

Is there some cable system where I can just pay for certain shows. I believe my wife is good for about ten shows a week, and I’m good for maybe six or seven. My son’s probably good for about ten, so if there was a way just to pay $0.99 for every show I watch, that would kick ass.

Since Comcast is buying NBC, I expect that their profits will no longer depend so much on cable subscribers. Hence the screw job.

It sucks that they’re buying NBC, then. NBC sucks anyway, I only like History, Showtime, HBO and ESPN. I guess I no longer like HBO since Flight of the Conchords is no more, but I used to like HBO.

Yeah, and I have 179 channels. The Hell do I need them all for? It’d be cool if I could just pick channels that are watched by myself and my family, then we’d have:

CBS (For local news)
HBO
Showtime
MSNBC
Bloomberg
History
Disney
Nick Jr.
Nick Toons
MTV (For my wife, I don’t even want to talk about it)
ESPN
ESPN2
The Home Renovations Channel (Don’t know what it’s called.)

TheStumps:

I have one more question, please.

On my worthless piece-of-shit Sylvania 37" LCD HDTV w. built-in DVD player, the right side of the screen is entirely scrambled for fifteen minutes when you turn it on, and then it self-corrects. Is there anything I can do to get it to stop doing that? We have to turn on the TV 15 minutes before we want to watch something and that is a waste of electricity.

Watching TV at all is probably a waste of electricity too, but we all have our vices.

The reason was because, and you’ll hate this, the dates were set incorrectly to the transfer dates in the move order in their database, and those charges are accurate to the rollover prorate IF the other bill would NOT kick on until then.
Basically…there’s a little check-mark in any given billing software and it reads, “Roll charges to next cycle”.
Or something akin to that…most will have it auto checked to reduce clerical errors that impact revenue (not charging where it should be done).
If you leave that, then you are going to accrue extra charges that no one will be able to explain correctly because the system tacks on taxes, fee’s, cut-off charges, blah, blah, blah.

But the important part was that they said they will credit the charges off; so at least they are correcting it.

No, that’s what I mean!

I don’t understand their use of the word, “Credit,” but that’s the word they used. They intend to charge me $98.45 extra in December on the new bill to close out the new bill. $80-something of that was for the four days, (Unless they decide they agree with my $18.89, “Opinion,” which everyone else in the world would refer to as, “Math.”) and they said they are not going to waive any of the late fees from the old bill because I should have paid it!

They said even if they decide to charge only the $18.89 I still have to pay all of those late fees.

So, they’re not correcting anything from the bullshit having to do with the August bill, except the partial pro-ration that they have already done, they’re just reversing I got charged in September, October and November for full services twice on two different account numbers.

You have no idea the ridiculousness of the calls that I hear every day.

I think it’s good.
I hate TV being the only dinosaur left in the technological world.
Everything else we have you can take it wherever you go and mold it and tailor it to suit your needs.
Cable?
eeeeh…not so much…yet.

The more maleable and portable it becomes, the higher the capacity is to start a demand for what you want…al la carte.
Pliable cable tv is just not something that is there yet.
It still moves like a big lumbering slug instead of a gymnast like everything else.

TiVo
It depends…for some people; it’s perfect.
For others…not so much.
It just depends.

Essentially; it’s a cable box that isn’t from your cable company but works on their network, but is far more stable, has a warranty, and tailors to what you want better than a cable companies boxes.

That’s what it looks like in general.

It’s an authorization chip in a tiny circuit card.
Translation?
It’s the gatekeeper for what you can and cannot get in your cable service without having to have a box.
Most new TV’s have a slot on them for these things.
You just have an installer hook it up and dispatch pairs the card and you get cable via your TV’s onboard menu for the guide (may need Ethernet cable for some TV’s menu’s) and that’s it.

No boxes.

If you have an RCA modem or a modem by Tompson, then go here:

That will show you your modem signal.
Signal levels should be between roughly -15 and +15 for receiving signals; closer to 0 is better.
Positive means too much signal.
Negative means too little.

No.
One day though.

Once we start moving towards a more mobile cable platform we’ll be forced to break down the bandwidth to more on demand style.
Meaning, if we want to start shooting crap out over cell towers (which is possible), then we’re going to want to have impulse show broadcast rather than constant streaming to conserve energy and cost.

To do that, we’ll have to push everything through the video on demand server (some already do this to an extent) rather than just movies.
Once that happens, then you’ll be able to start selecting SHOWS to watch when you want to watch them rather than having to catch them when they air or record them.

It’ll take time…but I’m betting it’ll be not too far off.
It just takes one company to go first.

Problem is…it’s spendy, not regulated as alright to do yet, and is also not in line with studio demands for ratings…yet.
But…more and more studios are starting to bank on their VOD ratings MORE than live broadcast to keep their shows running.
Hell…HBO is practically running 75% of their shows right now based on VOD ratings and not live ratings.

Studios are slowly figuring out that they can keep more shows on and make more money if they don’t HAVE to cram shows into specific time-slot cycles and instead just throw them into a big list of crap to watch that everyone can tap into whenever they want.

That depends what the scramble looks like.

Can you take a picture of it and post it up?
That would help.

You can always go higher…trust me.
If you think you’ve spoken to the highest you can…you haven’t.
Regardless of what they say.

You can always go higher than the person you are talking to unless you are talking to the VP of the consumer service department.