Rock/Metal

Share and discuss.

Rock/Metal

Postby The Last Man » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:25 am

Post your favorite rock or metal videos/songs in this thread, so we can all experience them, and create an ongoing dialogue and place to come talk or learn about new good music. Also welcome here are subgenres of progressive, ambient, experimental, alternative or psychedelic, as well as death metal.

Feel free to post any music that would be considered part of these above subgenres, but please stick to those ones only. No classic rock, pop rock, country rock, punk rock, etc. You get the idea. Thanks.

I'll start it off with the amazing and God-like Opeth:

It cuts off the very end here, so I included the ending in this awesome live Part 2, even though there is a little overlap:

Part 2:
It is not the strengths, but the durations of great sentiments that make great men. -Nietzsche

Genius never desires what does not exist. -Kierkegaard

The first and last thing required of genius is the love of truth. -Goethe

The ideal genius, who has all men within him, has also all their preferences and all their dislikes. There is in him not only the universality of men, but of all nature. He is the man to whom all things tell their secrets, to whom most happens, and whom least escapes. He understands most things, and those most deeply, because he has the greatest number of things to contrast and compare them with. The genius is he who is conscious of most, and of that most acutely. -Weininger

I don't roll on shabbos. -Walter
The Last Man
Philosopher

Re: Rock/Metal

Postby Impenitent » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:04 pm

this started it all:

-Imp
cogito ergo cogito
sum ergo sum...

Λογοκρισία και σιωπή

What's the difference between a liberal and Al Qaeda?
Oh, you don't know either?

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." (Thomas Jefferson)

"Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus" -Eco
Impenitent
ILP Legend
ILP Legend

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:12 am

The Cult: "Soul Asylum"

"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby The Last Man » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:13 pm

It is not the strengths, but the durations of great sentiments that make great men. -Nietzsche

The ideal genius, who has all men within him, has also all their preferences and all their dislikes. There is in him not only the universality of men, but of all nature. He is the man to whom all things tell their secrets, to whom most happens, and whom least escapes. He understands most things, and those most deeply, because he has the greatest number of things to contrast and compare them with. The genius is he who is conscious of most, and of that most acutely. -Weininger

The Last Man
Philosopher

Postby xzc » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:01 pm

Elbow is alternative, right?
Carcasse, tu trembles?
Tu tremblerais bien davantage, si
tu savais, ou je te mene.
xzc
Philosopher

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:27 am

Alice in Chains: "Man in the Box (Live)"

Should the, "Live," go outside of the parenthesis?

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Pandora » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:54 am

I don't usually listen to this genre of music, but I love this guitar solo:

Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Impenitent » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:39 pm

-Imp
cogito ergo cogito
sum ergo sum...

Λογοκρισία και σιωπή

"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." (Thomas Jefferson)

Impenitent
ILP Legend
ILP Legend

Postby Impenitent » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:46 pm

I really like this jacket, but the sleeves are much too long!!!

-Imp
cogito ergo cogito
sum ergo sum...

Λογοκρισία και σιωπή

Impenitent
ILP Legend
ILP Legend

Postby Sauwelios » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:27 pm

In my view, this is what started it all:

Some favourites of mine (band name/album):

Absu/The Sun of Tiphareth
Death/Symbolic
Einherjer/Odin Owns Ye All
Impaled Nazarene/Suomi Finland Perkele
Iron Maiden/Iron Maiden (but note that the second song should be Remember Tomorrow)
Melechesh/Djinn
Primordial/To The Nameless Dead
Satyricon/Now Diabolical
Unleashed/Warrior

An example:

"In man, creature and creator are united: in man there is matter, fragment, excess, clay, mud, nonsense, chaos; but in man there is also creator, sculptor, hammer-hardness, spectator's-divinity and seventh day:—do you understand this antithesis? And that your compassion is for the 'creature in man', for that which must be formed, broken, forged, torn, burnt, made incandescent, purified,—that which must suffer and shall suffer? And our compassion—do you not grasp whom our reverse compassion is for when it defends itself against your compassion as against the worst of all pamperings and weaknesses?" (Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 225. Compare The Will to Power, Kaufmann edition, section 367.)
Sauwelios
Philosophical Supremacist

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:14 am

Pantera: "Fucking Hostile (Live)"

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby The Last Man » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:52 am

The Last Man
Philosopher

Postby The Last Man » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:02 am

The Last Man
Philosopher

Postby The Last Man » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:06 am

The Last Man
Philosopher

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:26 am

Metallica: "Fade to Black (Live)"

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Oughtist » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:26 am

What you said.
Oughtist
Para-philosopher

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:46 am

Megadeth: "A Secret Place (Live)"

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby The Last Man » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:19 am

Im glad to see the Megadeth, after you posted that Metallica one, lol.

The Last Man
Philosopher

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:21 am

The Last Man wrote:Im glad to see the Megadeth, after you posted that Metallica one, lol.

Good catch, The Last Man! I'd be lying if I said it wasn't intentional.

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Jakob » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:34 pm

The thing emerges until the brim. It pours into being as a ring of overflowing. This is the Idea of self-valuing.
Self-valuing itself is everywhere and defines itself to itself as power-difference and to us as truth-difference.
The typology of life is a spectrum of angles of beings to themselves.

"What time is it?"

"The question is: is man, as man in his nature till now, prepared to assume dominion over the whole earth? If not, what must happen to man as he is, so that he may be able to "subject" the earth and thereby fulfill the word of an old testament? Must man as he is then not be brought beyond himself if he is to fulfill this task?" [Heidegger, "Who is Nietzsche's Zarathustra?"]
Jakob
Philosopher

Postby The Last Man » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:24 am

Last edited by The Last Man on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Last Man
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:08 pm

xzc wrote:Elbow is alternative, right?
Good choice...a great track :P

MagsJ
Triumvirate

Postby Sidhe » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:21 pm

SOAD have impressed me in anything they do.

As did Pearl Jam.

I don't think you can deny that American Heavy metal is well up there if not the finest.

Too many bands too little time though. But songs that sprang to mind off the bat that haven't been mentioned.
"God is dead": Nietzsche
"I am God": Dawkins
"Dawkins is dead!"

Logic it's not just for smart people anyone can play!
Sidhe
Banned

Postby Mal-2 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:32 am

ROCK N ROLL

And, The Best Metal Video ever made [actually, the only good one]:
Mal-2
Resident Dandy

Postby Impenitent » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:48 am

-Imp
cogito ergo cogito
sum ergo sum...

Λογοκρισία και σιωπή

Impenitent
ILP Legend
ILP Legend

Next

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment