My Favourite Video Games Ever.

I’ve played Fallout 3 and Demon’s Souls, and I love them both right to death, but they are very different things. Fallout 3 isn’t even a little bit challenging- the idea is for you to find a unique way to experience the content, but whether or not you are capable of making it through the content is never in doubt.

With Demon’s Souls, what you’re talking about with the ‘tedious and overcautious’ is precisely what makes the game what it is. If you’ve played the first Resident Evil, it would remind you of that. Actually having to plan in advance how to deal with a threat that’s around the corner, backing off when you think something ahead is too much for you, because it’s smarter to take your loot back to base than to risk losing it all when you die…

…that’s right. In Demon’s Souls, you collect souls (ala Devil May Cry or God of War) from everything you kill, and you use this to upgrade your weapons, learn spells, improve your stats, and so on. If you get killed (and you will), you lose every unspent soul you have. These souls appear on your bloodstain where you died. If you can fight your way back to it from the beginning of the level, you can reclaim those souls. But if you die AGAIN, a new bloodstain forms at your new point of death, and the old stain (along with the souls there) are gone forever.

Also, when you die, the place where you died may become harder. Warning you now- if you spam yourself in an area you have no business exploring yet, the game will punish you. There’s 5 worlds, and I had myself locked out of one of them for a week because I made that mistake.

That’s why the save system is so important. In such a system, you’d be tempted to cheat- get an autosave or save point every time you’re about to do everything challenging. That’s precisely what ruins just about every game that claims to be hard- even Ninja Gaiden Black, challenging as it was, just lets you spam yourself thoughtlessly, over and over, at a target until you eventually win. DEmon’s Souls is innovative- it autosaves…constantly. All the time, no matter what. You can just get up and shut the game off whenever, and when you start again, there you are. Of course, this means that when you die and lose a bunch of souls, you REALLY lost them. No backups, no previous save states, none of that cheating that you forgot was cheating because every game lets you. If you use a healing herb, that’s a healing herb you’ll never see again. If you use them all to beat a certain boss, you don’t have anymore until you find or buy some- you can’t go back and do the boss again once you learned the ‘trick’ to make sure you have more items.

Fallout 3 was fun, but I never once (not once!) found myself jumping out of my chair to point and swear at the TV, and shout “In your face!” when I beat a boss. If you make it past the first level of Demon’s Souls, you’ll feel like you accomplished something.

Demon’s Souls also has far, far more character customization than Fallout 3, in the sense that no matter what you ‘choose’ in Fallout, by the time you get to the end of the game, you’re awesome at everything anyway, so it doesn’t matter. In Demon’s Souls, customization choices really affect how difficult some content will be for you, and certain things that you might or might not experience otherwise.

Also, and I can’t stress this enough, you actually have to learn to be good in Demon’s Souls. That’s something I noticed is lacking in God of War- as fun as that game is- it has you leaping all around spamming attacks that you don’t even know, into crowds of enemies, without paying attention to your life meter. And that’s on hard. In Demon’s Souls, you’ll wind up knowing exactly how long your weapon is, what each attack does, when it is and isn’t useful, when you should hold it in two hands vs. one, and if you can interrupt the monster’s slam attack with a stab before he squashes you, or if you should roll away instead (and which way to roll so you’re in position for a counter). If you don’t know these things, you’ll just get your ass kicked forever and ever, and have to play a different game. You’ll come out of it surprised at how bad at video games you used to be. :wink:

So yeah, the major difference is Fallout 3 is like Disney World, doing everything it can to make sure everybody has a good time. Demon’s Souls is like climbing a mountain- it’s certainly rewarding, but it’s there to ASK if you can climb it, not to ensure you can by design.

xxx

Woah, that’s a pretty killer system; I really like that idea. As much as I get frustrated having to do things over again, that usually applies to some absent-minded mistake that would only happen due to the game being so easy I don’t have to pay much attention and my mind wanders.

I very much like the idea of an actual CEREBRAL action RPG–it’s one thing when a game offers you a lot of options that determine how things pan out (Fallout 3), it’s another when not thinking about them carefully gets you killed.

I watched a video on youtube, the environments are very rich, and eerie. I like the idea that, while online, you can see crossed-over ghosts of other players playing in their realms. I really, really like the idea of, once reaching a certain level, being able to invade another’s ream, or be invaded yourself!

I try to not play too many games, and I anticipate being occupied with modern warfare 2 and bad company 2 multiplayer for some time now, but I’ll be thinking about this game. Thanks for the explanation.

My favorite RPG is Ultima IX. I think it’s the best RPG ever.

Final Fantasy VII/IX
Pokemon Red/Blue
NFL Blitz
Golden Eye 007
Parappa The Rapper
Fifa 10
Super Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy
Zelda: Link’s Awakening
Marvel Vs Capcom 2

I have started my games career with Contra, Mario and games like Spartan. And these days i am playing games like NFS, FIFA, GTA, Resident Evil

Call of Duty Black Ops. This game is super bad ass. Anyone else playing it?

Now: MAG (Massive Action Game)

Then: Zelda

Have played FIFA every year since 94.

These days - playing Left4Dead 1 and 2 online. ZombieDeath fun.

Also DragonAge origins. I played that for something stupid like 170 hours straight over summer.

No offense, Tab, but I like neither zombies nor DAO. The latter was a surprise, by the way, as I’ve loved all other Bioware console RPGs.

Recently I’ve played a lot of Forza 3; now I’m mostly playing Fallout New Vegas. I want to play Super Meat Boy some time, and I’m looking forward to Deus Ex 3 and 3DS Super SF 4.

I’ve been playing Civ 5 a bit. Games are fun, but LoOOnnnGGG. I agree with those who feel that gameplay has been simplified from its predecessor and is not as sophisticated or engaging. Nice graphics, though.

Big fan of Gran Turismo 2 (PS1) back in the day. I missed 3 and 4 for the Playstation 2 but I’m stoked for the series’ first full appearance on the PS3. Gran Turismo 5, due late 2010 / early 2011, looks like it’s going to be a state-of-the-art juggernaut and simply the best driving simulation game ever realized.

xzc,

Can’t decide whether or not to spend the money on Black Ops. I was a fan of MW1/2, and I had a lot of fun dishing out the pain online (PS3), but it takes a lot of practice to get/maintain those skills and I guess I’m seriously thinking the time isn’t worth the effort. EDIT: I may change my mind, though. :slight_smile:

Yes, about black ops, gotta practice, gotta maintain those skills, only to realize I’m not the best killer and never will be. MAG is better because war requires teamwork. The game rewards teamwork so sometimes people get more XP than the killers. And you still get the chance to kill without the pressure to be the best at it.

In no particular order…

Fire Emblem 4, 5, & 7
Pokemon Red/Blue
Mario Tennis (N64)
Madden [series]
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
LittleBig Planet
…And, of course, Bioshock.

Did anyone ever buy a Sega Saturn? Few did…

If you didn’t, you missed out on 2 of the best RPGs ever (from the same series): Shining Force 3 and Shining the Holy Ark.
These games make the FF series feel like watching paint dry. And they each have the most stunning music (Motoi Sakuraba).

Though possibly the best game I’ve ever played was Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube - anyone ever heard of it?

Other than that I’ve finished each of the first 7 Tomb Raider titles (the original about 8 or 9 times :-")
I grew up on Sonic back in the Master System 2 days.
Mario came later, but Mario Kart on the SNES was clearly better to me.

Mario Kart is the most excellent game ever, at the very tipping point of decadence.
All real 3D is not to my taste, it is too real. The whole point of video games was the unrealistic and often absurd imagery! The only appeal to reality it makes is playcontrol.

Spyro the Dragon.

The first three for the PSX = Nostalgia. I just completed the first game again today, but the real awesome thing is that this time I was playing it on the PSP, which I recently hacked :slight_smile:

Other than that, I’ve also been playing the Final Fantasy series for the first time ever. I’ve completed FF1 & 4 and am in the middle of FF5 now. I tried FF2 but got bored, and decided to skip 3 altogether.

And finally I am also in the middle of the original Silent Hill. What a creepy game! And difficult too (I’m trying to get through on the hardest difficulty)!

wow :0

The experience of two current-gen games that have left a definite impression on me are: Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect 2. Uncharted for it’s action-awesomeness, and ME2 for it’s epic-cinematic-awesomeness…good shit.

And I might as well go on record with the previous gen games that most impressed me.

PS2:

Res Evil 4
GTA 3 & Vice

PS1:

FF7
GTA

Not that big of a gamer but the ones that gave me a great deal of pleasure were:

Civilization 4 (Probably spent hundreds of hours, very addicting)
Hitman series (All of them are immensely fun, planning out all of your contract and so on)
Assassins Creed 2 (Recently played this one and it’s beautiful, from the graphics to the music and story)
Command and Conquer Series (Pure strategic fun)
Bioshock (This is a perfect game, absolutely perfect)