My Favourite Video Games Ever.

Disclaimer: if I have not included a game, it means one of three things: 1) I do not know it (well enough to list it here); 2) it’s not among my favourites; 3) I did not think of it while compiling this list (shame on me!). Also, I only list those I’m absolutely sure about.

If a game is listed here, it means I (still) find it fun to play nowadays. I will use the U.S. console names.

Super Mario Bros. - NES/SNES
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Jap) a.k.a. The Lost Levels - NES/SNES
Super Mario Bros 3 - NES/SNES
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - NES
Kage a.k.a. Shadow of the Ninja a.k.a. Blue Shadow - NES
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (single-player only) - Genesis/X360
E.S.W.A.T. - Genesis/X360
Bare Knuckle II a.k.a. Streets of Rage 2 (two-player only) - Genesis
Dungeons and Dragons: WotES - Genesis
Super Shinobi a.k.a. Revenge of Shinobi - Genesis
Flashback - Genesis/SNES
Super Mario World - SNES
Star Fox a.k.a. Star Wing - SNES
Street Fighter II - CPS1/SNES/PS1/PS2
Street Fighter II Champion Edition - CPS1/SNES/PS1/PS2
Street Fighter II Turbo - CPS1/SNES/PS1/PS2/X360
Street Fighter Zero a.k.a. Alpha - CPS1/PS2
Street Fighter Zero a.k.a Alpha 2 - SNES/PS1/PS2
Street Fighter Zero a.k.a. Alpha 3 - PS1/PS2/DC
Street Fighter EX - PS1
Street Fighter EX 3 (two-player only) - PS2
Street Fighter III - DC
Street Fighter III 2nd Impact - DC
Street Fighter III Third Strike - DC
Street Fighter IV - X360
Capcom Vs. SNK - DC
Capcom Vs. SNK 2 - DC/PS2
Tomb Raider - PS1/X360
Metal Gear Solid - PS1/GC
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - N64/GC
Star Fox 64 a.k.a. Lylat Wars - N64
XG3 - PS2
Deus Ex - PS2
Wipeout Fusion - PS2
Shadow of the Colossus - PS2
Metroid Prime - GC
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - GC
Star Wars: KotOR - Xbox
Fallout 3 - X360
Portal - X360
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (at least in multiplayer mode) - Wii

That’s all I can think of right now. Note that some games, like Halo 2, are only missing because I’m not absolutely sure about them at the moment. This list is subject to change.

Hell yeah!!!

Here comes my Top 20 favorites, not to be confused with Top 20 best.

1. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
  2. Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
  3. The Legends of Zelda-A Link to the Past (SNES)
  4. Blaster Master (NES)
  5. Columns (Sega Genesis)
  6. Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis)
  7. Super Mario Bros. III (NES)
  8. Tetris (NES)
  9. NHL '93 (Sega Genesis)
  10. Madden '08 (XBox)
  11. The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind (XBox)
  12. The 7th Saga (SNES)
  13. Dr. Mario (NES)
  14. Baseball Stars (NES)
  15. Gran Turismo (PS1)
  16. BloodRayne (PS1)
  17. Final Fantasy IV (NES)
  18. Final Fantasy-Dirge of Cerberus (PS2)
  19. The Legends of Zelda-Ocarina of Time (Nintendo 64)
  20. True Crime: Streets of L.A. (XBox)

Dirge of Cerberus probably wasn’t that great, but Vincent Valentine is my second favorite FF character ever only to Sephiroth.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors(super nintendo)
Unreal Tournament 99 (computer)
Call of Duty 4 (xbox360)
Modern Warfare 2 (xbox360)
Tetris 2 (super nintendo)

In no particular order the games that come to mind are:

Morrowind (modded, of course!)
System Shock 2
Emperor of the Fading Suns (modded, of course!)
Dungeon Master
Phantasy Star 4
Syd of Valis (genesis – Valis II on the Amiga is better but lacks nostalgia value)
Fallout 2
Strife
TIE Fighter
Mechwarrior 2
Phantasy Star 2
Tower of Myraglen
Space Quest 10: Latex Babes of Estros! (Space Quest 4)
Quest for Glory 2
Quest for Glory 4
Kings Quest 3
Daggerfall
Shining Force
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Ultima Underworld
Ultima VII
Shadowcaster
Dark Forces
Knights of the Old Republic

It was the year 1995. Natalie got her first nintendo.

How could I forget…

Donkey Kong <3

Yes, very good game. Donkey Kong Country 3, as well. DKC2 is too hard for my liking. DKC1 and 3 are examples of games I’m not absolutely sure should be in this list.

But it was amazing when I was 5…

Yeah, I meant it’s still amazing, I’m just not absolutely sure. If I was the least bit less severe, it would certainly be in my list.

I bet $50 nobody can beat me at this game.

I used to play the single player of that game since 56k modem wasn’t exactly a cost effective or smooth gaming experience but when I did finally do it, people were just jumping around being practically impossible to spot and doing instant kills. What the hell?

Bioshock - Amazing concept and story
Worms 2, Worms World Party - Amazing videos and sounds, cute game
Warcraft 3 custom maps
Unreal Tournament 99

My top 10:

1. Streets of Rage (Sega Genesis) (basically my introduction to video games - via my uncle)
  2. Mario Kart 64 (N64) (I’m a pro)
  3. Banjo Kazooie (N64) (when I was younger, this game was such an odyssey for me to complete!)
  4. Twisted Metal III (PSX) (used to play it with my cousins all the time…nostalgia)
  5. Poke’mon Red/Blue (Gameboy) (this game was the solution to boredom and idle time and the reason why I liked long car rides)
  6. Game & Watch Gallery 2 (Gameboy)
  7. Half-Life (XBOX) (was fascinated by the mystery of Black Mesa and the G-Man/Employer)
  8. Resident Evil 4 (PS2)
  9. Portal (The Orange Box) (PS3) (interesting concept…makes you feel smart when you beat it…fun to see how long it takes your friends to pick up on how to play)
  10. Call of Duty 4 (PS3) (Haven’t played MW2 yet…!) (infinitely entertaining online play!)

Great game back in the day, especially with two players. I still listen to the music sometimes.

My first FPS. Good back in the day, but couldn’t stand the test of time.

Yeah. I guess it takes a combination of spatial insight and imagination not all people have.

I noticed you had Starfox 64 and Fallout 3 on your list - they were both close contenders for my list as well.

Starfox 64 had an intense single player campaign. Was never too fond of the multiplayer, though, and ultimately it wasn’t as memorable for me as Mario Kart 64 and Banjo Kazooie.

I really like Fallout 3 so far, but since I haven’t finished it yet (I’m a sucker for all the little side-quests) I didn’t put it on my list.

Dude, Half-Life doesn’t stand the test of time? That is like saying The Matrix doesn’t stand the test of time. Fuck, like Star Wars doesn’t stand the test of time. Been done better since? In the case of the Martix, hell yeah. Star Wars, ehhh, not so much. Half-Life? Somewhere in-between.

I mean, that game managed to mainstream for FPSs what SS2 mainstreamed for hybdrids. That isn’t true, there had been plenty of hybrids beforehand. SS2 is a pinnacle. It is more like, Half-Life did for FPSs what Ultima Underworld did for hybrids.

Well, I was (and I think we were) talking about Half-Life on PS2, not PC. Also, I’ve always had my doubts about Half-Life 2: the only game from the Orange Box I really like is Portal. Half-Life is just too linear for my liking. After I played Deus Ex, I couldn’t go back to Half-Life.

P.S.: Wait a minute. Fuse said “Xbox”, but only Half-Life 2 came out on Xbox…

I think Starfox 64 would be the game I’d choose if I could only have an N64 with one game. Then again, I’m mostly a single player. If a friend would be attached to the console, I might choose something else.

I never played Banjo Kazooie. Well, actually I briefly played the Xbox Live Arcade demo recently, but couldn’t really put myself to it.

I did not have Mario Kart 64, but I did have Diddy Kong Racing, and liked it (especially when you had to get all the bananas). I finished Mario Kart DS, but though I liked it enough to finish it, I’ve never played it since. Back in the day, when I played MK64 at a friend’s, I did not know there were tricks (like snaking). I still don’t like the fact that you need such tricks (though not necessarily snaking) to be good at it.

It’s a waste to play Fallout 3 without the side quests. In fact, I recommend you get the Broken Steel and Point Lookout DLC. For me, Fallout 3 is the new Deus Ex. Other current-gen games I might put on my list later are Mass Effect 1 and 2, Assassin’s Creed 1 and 2, and Rainbow Six Vegas 1 and 2.

One of the first game i ever played was a great pc game called ‘rise of the triads’, it was amazing and had a gore gauge :smiley: Im trying to track down a copy cos i want to buy it, seeing as i have some money left over from doing one of those postalgold things. it really was a great game, it also had these cheats where you could fly and be god and kill people telekinetically, like darth vader

UT is srs bsns. I spent my stoner days (read: high school) playing it.

Yeah, maybe I should have written “Best” instead of “Favourite”. I have some favourites which are not in my list (e.g., Stunt Race FX a.k.a. Wild Trax - SNES).

Also check out my favourite video game music!