When You Finish a Story...

Share and discuss.

When You Finish a Story...

Postby Humpty » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:26 pm

I sometimes play around with graphic design for fun. Thought some of you might enjoy this one:

Humpty
Philosopher

Re: When You Finish a Story...

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:39 am

Looks cool, and a good quote.
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Humpty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:54 am

Mr. Dosty is a favorite of mine.
Humpty
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:01 am

PavlovianModel146 wrote:....and a good quote.

No, I don't think so. This is the sort of observation that is really a value judgment. What it is suggesting [at least to me] is that you ought to feel ashamed of telling the story.

That's ridiculous. It always depends on the story, why you told it and how others react to it. There may be something to be ashamed of. There may not be. Or some will feel ashamed while others feel anything but.

It's always about a particular dasein situated out in the world.
Actually, it was only part of myself I wanted to kill: the part that wanted to kill herself, that dragged me into the suicide debate and made every window, kitchen implement, and subway station a rehearsal for tragedy.

Susanna Kaysen

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby Humpty » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:03 am

it's okay, u don't have to relate to it bro. i do.
Humpty
Philosopher

Postby PavlovianModel146 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:36 am

iambiguous wrote:No, I don't think so. This is the sort of observation that is really a value judgment. What it is suggesting [at least to me] is that you ought to feel ashamed of telling the story.

That's ridiculous. It always depends on the story, why you told it and how others react to it. There may be something to be ashamed of. There may not be. Or some will feel ashamed while others feel anything but.

It's always about a particular dasein situated out in the world.

I agree that most everything is situational, and very few, if any, one-line quotes will successfully state something that is always the case. At the same time, though, I think it's a quote that most people could identify with to the extent that they've felt that way at least once. I don't know if he meant for that quote to be taken literally in all cases.

The problem is, if you want to have a quote that hits with power, it has to be somewhat dogmatic. All of my, "Maybe's," "Usually's," and "Sometimes'," may be meant more literally in their presentation, but they're not what quotes that stick with people are made out of.
"Love is the gravity of the Soul" - Abstract -/-/1988 - 3/11/2013 R.I.P

PavlovianModel146
Ringing The Bell

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed May 04, 2011 3:07 pm

I like your graphic. It feels really strong...
At first, I felt maybe the blue ought to be above and the brown below - you know, sky above, ground below, :lol: but it doesn't really matter. And the brown is stronger.
I always liked Fyodor too...one of my favorites.
There was a time when I tried to exhaust him.
Do you know where that quote came from - an excerpt from one of his books or just a quote of his.

This quote from Notes from the Underground may also drive home what Fyodor might have meant by your above quote.

"Every man has some reminiscences which he would not tell to everyone, but only to his friends. He has others which he would not reveal even to his friends, but only to himself, and that in secret. But finally there are still others which a man is even afraid to tell himself, and every decent man has a considerable number of such things stored away. That is, one can even say that the more decent he is, the greater the number of such things in his mind."

Anyway, the quote in your thread, or ANY quote for that matter, if we peel it back layer by layer, might just speak to us and reveal something interesting to us. Some of us (not you) are just NOT capable of seeing the tree for the forest. :lol:
If you don't see the hidden River,
see how the water wheel of stars turns.
If the heavens receive no rest
from being moved by Love,
~~ Heart ~~
don't ask for rest, Be a Circling Star.

Rumi
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Location: Where I'd like to be once more - where I am even now.

Postby sonnen » Wed May 04, 2011 3:27 pm

:( :) :D
It was my thirtieth year to heaven
Woke to my hearing from harbour and neighbour wood
And the mussel pooled and the heron
Priested shore
The morning beckon
With water praying and call of seagull and rook
And the knock of sailing boats on the webbed wall
Myself to set foot
That second
In the still sleeping town and set forth.
sonnen

Postby anon » Wed May 04, 2011 4:00 pm

I like the blue part best. The whole thing's pretty nice.
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"The bombs we plant in each other are ticking away." - Edward Yang

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Postby Trevor » Wed May 04, 2011 5:10 pm

I like the exercise. But, your covers says nothing about what's inside, it doesn't illuminate...
Trevor

Postby Humpty » Wed May 04, 2011 5:16 pm

what is trevor talking about? what exercise? inside what? is he on drugs?
Humpty
Philosopher

Postby Trevor » Wed May 04, 2011 5:17 pm

haha, the exercise of doing some form of art work for a book you're just read, thus the stuff inside is the book itself, the story...ja?
Trevor

Postby Humpty » Wed May 04, 2011 5:18 pm

there's no book
Humpty
Philosopher

Postby Trevor » Wed May 04, 2011 5:20 pm

I just re-read your OP and title and realised it was merely a quote haha, y'see my mistake, either way, it doesn't illuminate...
Trevor

Postby Humpty » Wed May 04, 2011 5:24 pm

it wasn't meant to, i'm fine with that.
Humpty
Philosopher

Postby Blurry » Wed May 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Yeah, it's good to read the OP before you comment.
"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to.'" - Jim Jarmusch
Blurry
fuck

Postby Trevor » Wed May 04, 2011 5:55 pm

I did then I re-read it. Hence the "re-" part. :roll:
Trevor

Postby Blurry » Wed May 04, 2011 6:01 pm

trevor wrote:I did then I re-read it. Hence the "re-" part. :roll:

Notice what I said, trevor -- "It's good to read the OP before you comment." Perhaps I should've added, "...in it's entirety..." to that.

Alright. It's good to read the OP in it's entirety before you comment.
"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to.'" - Jim Jarmusch
Blurry
fuck

Postby Trevor » Wed May 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Doesn't make a difference either way to the point I was making. As I said in my reply to Humpty, I assume you read that. Speaking of points - what's yours?
Trevor

Postby Blurry » Wed May 04, 2011 6:10 pm

It does make a difference. Had you gotten it through your head that it was a quote you were reading, your comments wouldn't have even occured to you. That's my point.

Despite how ridiculous this argument is I have to say that these little battles between you and I around the boards are more fun than they are with most people.
Blurry
fuck

Postby Trevor » Wed May 04, 2011 6:19 pm

BlurredSavant wrote:It does make a difference. Had you gotten it through your head that it was a quote you were reading, your comments wouldn't have even occured to you. That's my point.

Nah ah. My point was that his image wasn't illuminating, this applies to whether you're making one for a story or even just a quote. You're stubborn.

Despite how ridiculous this argument is I have to say that these little battles between you and I around the boards are more fun than they are with most people.

Everything is ridiculous. I told you already! :lol:
Trevor

Postby anon » Wed May 04, 2011 6:24 pm

What could have been illuminated?
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Postby Humpty » Wed May 04, 2011 6:28 pm

perhaps he would have preferred to see a picture of a man whose face was showing signs of shame.
http://www.google.com/search?q=shame+fa ... 40&bih=707
Humpty
Philosopher

Postby Blurry » Wed May 04, 2011 6:30 pm

I don't think the picture was meant to be illuminating. Rather, it was meant to accent the quote, make it look nice.

Yes, I am stubborn. So are you.

Are you saying you think shoes are ridiculous? And chocolate cake? And kittens? Come on.
Blurry
fuck

Postby anon » Wed May 04, 2011 6:36 pm

Humpty wrote:perhaps he would have preferred to see a picture of a man whose face was showing signs of shame.
http://www.google.com/search?q=shame+fa ... 40&bih=707

Maybe this one?

anon
ILP Legend

Next

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment