When You Finish a Story...

Share and discuss.

Re: When You Finish a Story...

Postby Trevor » Wed May 04, 2011 6:40 pm

anon wrote:What could have been illuminated?

It's a quote and if you're an artist, you present the content of that quote, or whatever it means to you, through your own hands, you offer your own take on it, which is called "illumination."
Trevor

Postby anon » Wed May 04, 2011 6:42 pm

trevor wrote:

It's a quote and if you're an artist, you present the content of that quote, or whatever it means to you, through your own hands, you offer your own take on it, which is called "illumination."

Sure, that would be amazing.
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"The bombs we plant in each other are ticking away." - Edward Yang

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Postby Trevor » Wed May 04, 2011 6:49 pm

Are you being sarcastic? :-?
Trevor

Postby anon » Wed May 04, 2011 6:51 pm

trevor wrote:Are you being sarcastic? :-?

No, why? That would be great.
"Distraction is the only thing that consoles us for our miseries, and yet it is itself the greatest of our miseries." - Blaise Pascal

"The bombs we plant in each other are ticking away." - Edward Yang

"To a fly that likes the smell of putrid / Meat the fragrance of sandalwood is foul. / Beings who discard Nirvana / Covet coarse Samsara's realm." - Saraha
anon
ILP Legend

Postby Blurry » Wed May 04, 2011 7:26 pm

trevor wrote:

So because you weren't "illuminated" by Humpty's bit of artwork, it's not illuminating? Funny, I was under the impression that artwork is a unique expression of the artist, not the viewer. If the viewer doesn't get it, isn't "illuminated", does that mean the artist's expression is lacking?
"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to.'" - Jim Jarmusch
Blurry
fuck

Postby Trevor » Wed May 04, 2011 7:38 pm

BlurredSavant wrote:So because you weren't "illuminated" by Humpty's bit of artwork, it's not illuminating? Funny, I was under the impression that artwork is a unique expression of the artist, not the viewer. If the viewer doesn't get it, isn't "illuminated", does that mean the artist's expression is lacking?

You've got it back to front, badger, quite trying to bite my ankles. It's not an illuminated piece because there isn't actually anything there (i.e. imagery) besides the quote itself, which I could just write here in text, and besides the colour it'd be pretty much the same as Humpty's piece. But "illumination" wasn't the intention so it doesn't matter.

"Illumination" isn't a just a fancy word, I guess you could call it a genre of art, e.g. William Blake's illuminated books.
Trevor

Postby Blurry » Wed May 04, 2011 8:41 pm

trevor wrote:
BlurredSavant wrote:So because you weren't "illuminated" by Humpty's bit of artwork, it's not illuminating? Funny, I was under the impression that artwork is a unique expression of the artist, not the viewer. If the viewer doesn't get it, isn't "illuminated", does that mean the artist's expression is lacking?

You've got it back to front, badger, quite trying to bite my ankles. It's not an illuminated piece because there isn't actually anything there (i.e. imagery) besides the quote itself, which I could just write here in text, and besides the colour it'd be pretty much the same as Humpty's piece. But "illumination" wasn't the intention so it doesn't matter.

"Illumination" isn't a just a fancy word, I guess you could call it a genre of art, e.g. William Blake's illuminated books.

Perhaps those colors and the way he muddled them up a bit speaks to him, adds impact to the words. Maybe there was a look he was specifically going for. Or maybe he was just trying out the watercolor feature. Who cares?
"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don't bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'It's not where you take things from - it's where you take them to.'" - Jim Jarmusch
Blurry
fuck

Previous

Return to Art, Music, and Entertainment