Earthbound, RPG's & Philosophy

Hahaha this is going to be the next “–insert pop-culture reference here-- and Philosophy” book. Just kidding.

These expansive and deep RPG’s I played on the Super-Nintendo and Playstation as a child… I’ve often wondered how much influence they have really had on me. I think they have influenced me a great deal and not neccesarily in a negative way as one would expect from video games. It seems in fact that some of my fondest memories come from emotions I experienced while playing these games, while becoming lost in another spectacular world. The RPG’s they make today are nothing compared to what they before. Back when it was all low-quality graphics and reading text-boxes, that was truly the Golden-Age of RPG’s. I believe that there is a lot of knowledge and insight to be gained from ‘living out’ these incredible stories. Granted, many of them simply followed a common motif and had no real intellectual value whatsoever. However, I find that there are often gems of wisdom, diamonds in the rough. Every once in a while, I would find an RPG that truly was magnificent.

Earthbound, for me, was one of those. Along with Final Fantasy VII and later on Final Fantasy VI (when it was released in the U.S.) as well as the ninth installment I found to be very interesting. Breath of Fire IV was another interesting one. There was also another Final Fantasy that I really enjoyed. FF: Tactics. Wow, what an incredible story. There are so many philosophical issues addressed and sometimes answered in these games that were ultimately designed to be played by children. They were really setting me up for this all of this…thinking that I do.

Of course Earthbound was the very first RPG that I ever played. It was the intention of the Japanese to poke fun at American culture with this game and it was actually pretty funny. There was also a focus on bonds and friendship in a way that I actually found to be very touching, not corny, and the writers of this game had a very clever way of tying destiny into the entire thing. To me it is a masterpiece which is both quirky and intelligent.

This segment of the game reflects upon Eastern culture and I feel that it may have actually given me first insight into Eastern spirituality. In fact, I’m sure of it. I was…so very young.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ZXDF3duLE[/youtube]

I suppose this thread could be moved wherever it is deemed relevant, I was having a bit of trouble with figuring where to put it. So, you know, go right ahead if you feel this is out of place in the “Philosophy” board.

I think this falls under Entertainment :slight_smile:

I spent many hours playing Head Over Heels, Ultima IV, Elite, Wizardry (showing my age).

LOTR and Deus Ex Machina shit on other games for story IMHO, I always find Japanese games to have some really unbelievable plots and characters, kinda puts me off most of them. I need to be able to believe in my fantasy which is why more mature games like LOTRO 12+ (MMORPG) and Deus Ex 17+, just a superb near future story of the corruption of power and genetic engineering, are more my cup of tea. Meh matter of taste though. Lord of the Rings Online is a near flawless telling of the story and exploration of Tolkiens world, 'nuff said.

If you were looking for something more in the realm of reality then play through the Metal Gear Solid series. I found the breadth of information about nuclear weapons and history to be pretty cool, very convincing voice acting too. These games don’t fall into the category of RPG’s but the story-telling aspect is very vital to all of these games. It’s as if you are playing a movie you are watching. I think what I like most about the MGS games is their inclusion of magical realism and of course the amazing characters.

Also another game I completely forgot to mention was Xenogears. Lot’s of very direct philosophical issues, underlying religious themes and Freudian concepts explored. This was truly a masterpiece.

Here is Vulcan Raven’s “death sequence” from Metal Gear Solid. Just to give you an idea of the level of emotion and the sheer complexity of the story.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOFeLEvkiCI[/youtube]

Hahaha, at this point in the story…there were so many questions left unanswered. At the end of these games they always kick your ass, with something like “Everything you just did was not at all for the purpose you thought it was, you are simply a pawn in a larger scheme.” Then the larger scheme is finally revealed and usually, you survive, and in that way win the battle but the larger scheme still succeeds and we lose the war. I love it. Also to me…I guess I was always a sucker for the hero stories, for the idea of one individual having such great power and the ability to change or save the entire world. Pretty cheesy stuff I guess but I’ve always loved it.

So, I’m really considering getting this. Serious exploration of trans-humanism…OK, already interested. Can’t decide if it’s worth it though, I’ve been thoroughly disappointed in the past with games like…Mass Effect, as well plenty of other games which simply didn’t last long enough.

Would you say in your opinion, that this game: Dues Ex Machina, is 100% badass?

Adam Jensen is 100% badass, I’ll say that much. I’d say it’s well worth getting, I have played through on the medium difficulty level and the first thing I did on completing it was start on the high difficulty level from scratch to play through again. I think if you like grown up stories with dark subplots and horrifyingly immoral machinations, you’ll love this. It’s not a perfect game (what is) but I think it’s extremely immersive and addictive, and once you get started, impossible to put down. You can lose hours playing this. And if it’s difficulty your after then the hard level is just that realistic, couple of hits and your dead, or less if they hit you in the head. Positive points: the stealth element is fun, you can literally stealth through entire levels without anyone seeing you if that’s your want. The Hacking sub game is cool, hacks enable you to bypass security measures like doors and cameras, and get into computers to retrieve information to further the game plot. Later you can even hack turrets and robots so that they turn against their friends (which I gotta admit is fun). The XP system works really well to play to your game weaknesses: you start with basic augmentations like HUD info and stuff, and by the end your augmented to the nines with things like the ability to fall from any height, breath toxic gas and survive high voltage shocks, amongst a literal host of other augments. Including a power hungry cloaking device and the ability to see through walls. Just remember though you aint the only one with augments. I like the way that what you say and do makes the plot evolve differently and there are several different endings, this is nothing new but it’s not often you can say you a game is genuinely immersive these days. I’d say it was the perfect mix between a first person shooter, adventure game, and RPG. Certainly my GOTY atm.

Weaknesses? Well some of the plot twists you can see coming. And I wasn’t enamoured with the boss fights which although fun seem a little easy at times. And with some of the hefty augments stealth becomes pretty easy, but meh you wont notice you’ll be too impressed with the addictive gameplay, the plot, and the general sophistication of the AI.

Oh cool! They incorporate stealth! That will probably do it for me, because it opens up so much more… as well as everything else you have said. I love it when games give you the option to play a certain way. Much, much, much more realistic. Much more immersive. I wonder though…could I knock this out in a Blockbuster rental and be satisfied? Largely a matter of personal opinion, I know, but how do you feel after finishing it and what-not?