Tom Waits interview

this guys been in the music biz for a really long time. was in his first band in the 60s, signed his first record label contract in the 70s, and he’s still making albums today. he has a lot of really awesome songs, and they’re very weird. His newest, Bad as Me, was just released. I don’t particularly like his music, but I like what he says, and so here’s the interview:

Fascinating. I didn’t quite finish it, but the whole 3 minute song thing is interesting. I was just thinking this morning about how I’ve changed the way I listen to music on my very short drive to work. I have no time anymore. I’m always busy. I can’t lay down on my bed and just soak up music the way I did as a teenager. And now I have this SD card in my car and basically my entire music library at my fingertips there. So on my very short drive to work I was starting to listen to just favorite songs over and over, rather than listening to albums. And it was great for a while, but it kind of sucks only listening to your very favorite songs. A little variety is great, even if it’s songs you don’t care for all that much. I used to listen to the radio and the unpredictability was great. He’s right about satellite radio. It’s like a cocoon - you want to break out and fly away. Anyway, I’ve started listening to albums in my car again. I listen to the first ten minutes, then I’m at work. On the way home I listen to the next ten minutes. The next morning I listen to the next ten minutes. It’s not a rule I try to follow - it’s just how I listen now. The breaks between car rides aren’t really these big gaps anymore. So right now, for instance, I’m listening to this album Orbus Terrarum by The Orb in my car. It’s the opposite of a 3 minute song. The shortest “song” on it is 7:28 (the longest is 17:03) and it’s all flow with little obvious structure though it’s not quite ambient. So I appreciate where Waits is coming from, but I think he’s possibly got the wrong end of the stick. Time isn’t just contracting in this modern age, it’s also stretching. Compartmentalization can only go just so far before the compartments themselves start to break down.

Kind of a sprawling post - hope I made some sense.

I think I have a pretty good balance between listening to albums and listening to tracks by themselves, partly because of what it is I do with music: I find it (that process takes listening to whole albums) and I put it into playlists (obviously that part involves listening to tracks separated from their respective albums). I’ve become my own DJ, and it’s very rewarding, but it’s also resulted in something interesting:

you know how, if you’ve listened to an album tons of times, when you hear a song off that album, as it gets towards the end you start anticipating the next song? like, you know what’s going to come next, and it feels like it should come next, you even can hear in your head what’s going to come next, as if it belongs next…well that’s what’s happened to me and my playlists. i’ve listened to them so much that some songs, regardless of the fact that they’re not from the same album, band, even genre, and regardless of the fact that they would pretty much never be played on the same radio station (well, they probably wouldn’t be played on any radio station), just listening to it so much has brought me to that place where I’m anticipating the next song in the playlist as if it belongs there. Sometimes I even listen to those songs from my playlist in their respective albums, and instead of anticipating the next song in the album I’ll anticipate the next song in the playlist. It has a more cemented place in the playlist for me than it does in its own album.

idk if that’s interesting to anybody else, i just liked that idea.

I’ve never gotten into playlists much. I usually play them on shuffle.

Back in the day, I made mix tapes though. I got relatively fancy with them, fading in & out of extended songs, adding little interlude bits like commercials between tv shows. They kind of had themes and I got attached to them in the way you’re talking about.