Recomendations for series' similar to star trek TNG?

I want good rational viewing.

The original series is too dated and camp for me. Deep space 9 forget about that bag of adulterated try hard horse manure- a shambles to the star trek name- Quark being its only highlight.

Maybe voyager has a shot. I recall it had good stories maybe even better than TNG so might have to give that one a try again come to think of it.

Any other non ST series ppl could recommend of a similar vein- cool rational/humanist type shows?

Voyager is not bad. It’s kind of like TNG re-vamped with a slightly annoying female captain.

Try warehouse 13

Cheers.

Ye Janeways voice was grating as a mofo at first but i recall jsut ‘getting used to it’ considering the series managed to carry its own in other respects.

Not heard of warehouse, google time…

I liked TNG and Voyager. I liked Voyager a bit more just cuz that’s some childhood nostalgia. Used to watch it with my dad. Enterprise is garbage. DS9 is dull. Original Series is old.

Enterprise lol.
Archer lol.

lol.

Archer is a damn good show.

Got thru a few episodes of voyager now, yup that is def authentic ST alright- it will allow me to quickly forget the DS9 debacle.

I will admit that some of the criticisms I’ve read of voyager are valid sometimes – that some of the acting is corny and that some is quite dry – but I think the character list is really well-rounded, and I think the show does a brilliant job exploring some philosophical ideas. There’s an episode about the prison/justice system that I really like, but I don’t recall where in the series it was. It’s pretty deep into the series, I hope you hold out that long. It’s about a criminal who had something physically wrong with his brain that was blocking his empathy center or something, and after getting brutally beaten by prison guards, that part of his brain became unblocked and suddenly the guilt of his crimes hit him like a shit-ton of bricks. Really awesome episode. I think I may have even made a thread about it here, on ILP.

The episode is called Repentance: 13th episode of the seventh season.

Meld an episode in a similar vein is also pretty good although in season 2.

Ye dont worry about me holding out as when i find a series i really like i have a tendencey to rip through it in a rate of knots :smiley:.

Janeway is less annoying than i remember her which of course is a good thing. I remembered her as being extremely cold but now i dont really see any of that. Funny how perceptions change wtih time.

Going back to comparing it with the dungpile that is ds9 what really annoyed me about that show is it was all about religion and pretty much scrapped the main humanism vein that makes ST what it is. So ds9 is no ST at all to me really. Dont mean to flog a dead horse but i really dont have enough bad words to say about that montrosity.

I found it really weird how there are one episode after another which are about time travel- i dont mean the 1st 2 parter but the twoparter and then the next one (in the first series the 1st 2 episodes and the one right after). Like the writers were feeling esp unimaginative as they made both about time anomalies. Granted if it happens a few times throughout the series but back to back? somethings up there.

Have you seen the 2009 Movie Star Trek by the way, a prequel to the TOS, I think that breathed life back into the genre. It has time travel but it’s not annoyingly bullshit and doesn’t involve much mental gymnastics. I particularly liked Dr McCoy’s character.