[Movie] Land Gold Women (2011)

Just watched this movie and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it has some very poignant moments and carries strong implications for cultural/community relativism and, more broadly, morality. On the other hand, it was a strain for me to sit through, partly because of the purposefully tense progression of the film and partly because the general plot was so simple and so safely acted. (The best acted character was the father’s intense brother, imo.) I was never really immersed in the story itself, I felt like I was watching a movie about honor killings the whole time and I was honestly just waiting for the peak of the story arc to see what kind of message or insight the film would try to broach. Luckily, a few lines in particular from the script did actually resonate very sharply with me and made the experience worth it. Even if the film doesn’t soar as high as it could, it still makes an important contribution to the world’s socio/cultural/moral discourse which I can definitely appreciate. Land Gold Women is a good film. Give it a shot.

Err, I really can’t stand movies with very bad acting. I watched the trailer, and saw the scene where those teenage indian kids go to the dad’s house and say that they’ll burn the boy’s house down. The way they said those lines was just SO CORNY! So forced. I can’t watch it.

If you guys wanna see a good indie film, check out Primer. Shit’s ace.

I think I might have done a review before for Primer. It’s really excellent, I agree.