Question of Tragic Art

This question has been on my mind for very long, as long as I’ve been reading Nietzsche. What exactly is tragic art? I know what a tragedy is. I recognize a tragic storyline. I know the “feeling” of the tragic, as a surplus that breaks itself up into a destruction of bewildering beauty - but I do not have sufficient clarity on what Nietzsche means when he speaks of the tragic… not because I lack clarity, but because it is so all-important. Perhaps the most important concept in his work. It needs to be elaborated on much more bitterly than the will to power or the eternal recurrence, or slave versus master morality – it is perhaps the realest, most alive concept. Because of this realness it not as easy for me to clarify.

So the question is: what is tragic art? Can we have examples? Music, plays, novels, films – scenes from any of these… classical but preferably also contemporary – what is a contemporary tragedy - no, what represents “the tragic” in a contemporary form?

Here is the passage that inspired the question.

(Nietzsche: The Gay Science, 370)

I made the same post on Before The Light.

I am also interested in artists who can be associated with the tragic. And to broaden the topic, perhaps not only art, but also tragic approaches to the “stage of the world” , versus romantic or otherwise weaker ones. I want to expand the thinking on the tragic as well as bring it to the surface, to actuality.

Does the concept suffering, the affirmation of suffering amount to a sense of tragedy? I don’t think so, but it is clearly important. What else is required for the tragic sense?

Can we re-shape our (interpretation of our) own cultural and political narrative in accordance with this sense? Can this perhaps be the first step in affirming what is happening? Or am I taking this into a far too practical direction now? No, I don’t think so - this is precisely what we are lacking now, what traps us (as a civilization) in nihilism or resentment - the lack of the tragic sense, the will to utopia.

I don’t even know what I am suggesting. Let anyone begin with an explanation of what it means for a “sense”, or a narrative, or anything at all, to be tragic.

Capable has provided an excellent answer. He is the only one so far. Sad but true - true thus great - sad thus great! (definition of the tragic through dialectic of affirmation)

The Dutch Wikipedia article on virtue ethics has paradoxically suggested to me that tragic poetry is not a poetry… The article says:

[size=95]Aristotle’s virtue ethics is teleological. This means that it follows the logic of purpose (telos). It presupposes that people act for the sake of a purpose, which they judge to be the good. In acting, then, people always aim at a good. The highest good is the ultimate purpose of acting.

So Aristotle claims that all human acting is done for a purpose. In doing so, he discerns two forms of acting: poièin and pratein, which the respective substantive nouns poetie and praxis. A poietic act is done for a purpose that lies outside the act: as soon as the purpose is reached, the act ends. For instance, as soon as the table is finished one is done carpenting. A praxis however is an act whose purpose lies in the acting itself. A game serves its purpose only during play; the fun that the game brings disappears as soon as the playing stops. The type of acting with which virtue ethics is concerned is acting understood as praxis. It [virtue ethics] regards life as the comprehensive praxis. [http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deugdethiek#Teleologie_en_handelen. It seems the source of the content of this passage consists of two books by Paul van Tongeren.][/size]
Now Nietzsche writes, at the very end of his last book that is not a nachgelassene Schrift (“writing left behind”):

[size=95]Saying Yes to life even in its strangest and hardest problems; the will to life, rejoicing in its own inexhaustibility in the sacrifice of its highest types—that is what I called Dionysian, that is what I guessed to be the bridge to the psychology of the tragic poet. Not in order to be liberated from terror and pity, not in order to purge oneself of a dangerous affect by its vehement discharge [does one engage in tragic poetry]—Aristotle understood it that way—: but in order to be oneself the eternal joy of becoming, beyond all terror and pity,—that joy which includes even joy in destroying… [Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, “What I Owe to the Ancients”, section 5.][/size]
Note that, even though Nietzsche repudiates the teleology that Aristotle imputed to tragic poetry, he still imputes a kind of teleology to it: “in order to be oneself” etc. We may say, as I have put it elsewhere, that Aristotle understood tragic poetry as a means to an end that lay beyond it; whereas Nietzsche understands it as a means to an end it contains in itself: the lightning (the Dionysian) is not sought out in order to purge one’s sky of clouds, i.e., for the sake of the sun (the Apollinian), but for it’s own sake, identifying with it. Tragic art, then, is not a poetry but a practice. For this reason, we cannot have examples of tragic art, inasmuch as art that is perceived by some as tragic is not perceived that way by others, and vice versa. Now what people usually call tragic art is art that tends to have a tragic effect on normal adults under normal circumstances, and in this sense one may say that one can “create” (poiein) tragic art. But tragic poetry in this sense is distinct from tragic art proper, which is a practice, not a poetry. Thus the Urtragödie (“primitive tragedy”) was a spontaneous event in which there were no mere spectators, but only chorus, and the actor (Dionysus or the tragic hero) was wholly imagined. Later that image was projected on one of the participants in the event, and this participant then evolved into the actor: before Aeschylus, tragic plays had only a single actor. Aeschylus’ most radical innovation was the introduction of a second actor, and Sophocles introduced a third actor. Nietzsche however criticized the great tragedians more strongly the further they deviated from the Urtragödie: Euripides more strongly than Sophocles, and Sophocles more strongly than Aeschylus. Except in his last work, the Bacchae, Euripides marginalized the role of the chorus; but even Aeschylus’ major innovation already contained the seed of this marginalization, since from the introduction of the second actor on the chorus could in theory be put out of play indefinitely: namely in the event of an endless dialogue between the two actors. (One might think that one could already say the same thing of the introduction of a real actor in the first place, since he could in theory hold an endless monologue. However, the concept of monodrama was utterly foreign to the Greeks; and lyric poetry, which is cognate with drama, would, if one were to compare it to drama, be a kind of drama whose cast consisted solely of a one-man chorus, not of a single actor.)

I disagree, by the way, with your claim that Nietzsche’s concept of the tragic “needs to be elaborated on much more bitterly than the will to power”. For I regard Nietzsche’s concept of the tragic as integral to his concept of the will to power. Thus the willing of the will to power is not to power as the carpenting is to the table (I’m aware at this point, by the way, that “carpent” is not an English word; but fuck English); instead, it is to power as the playing of the game is to the fun. Willing is itself the manifestation of power. But past discussions between us suggest that you and I conceive the will to power very differently.

I haven’t read much of this thread, but to the intro my answer is:

Pedro Almodovar is today’s foremost tragedy artist.

There is also Oldboy, a Korean tragedy that almost measues up to Almodovar because, although it is lesser quality filmmaking, the tragedy itself is truly very tragic.

Lars von Trier is like a guy who looked at tragedy for a while and took a step forward… Whether that step forward was a step up or down seems to depend on my mood.

El Topo and Holy Mountain both have multiple tragedies within, and Jodorowski can really put it into acid-think clarity.

Brazil has put out at least three exelent tragedies that I can think of, but a Brazilian is probably genetically unable to make even a tragedy kathartic. They are masters of tragic beauty.

A Venezuelan artist put out a movie called Hermano (Brother) which plays with some decidedly ancient themes, but in a truly ghetto context (the kind that makes Compton seem like Beverly Hills) and, in all objectivity, it is tragic.

In fact, now that I think about it, the only contemporary cinema that really tragically moves me is South American tragedy (with the exception of Oldboy). I have seen some amazingly good European tragedies, but they aren’t nevessarily good because they are tragic. And the US really has no more blood fro tragedy that I can think of… Though they remain forrunners in surreal cinema.

On the contrary Sauwelios, we agree on the nature of the will to power more and more as you arrive at clarification of the circularity of the concept, the way its head (telos) attains to its tail (origin). That you don’t see value ontology as a separate concept adding to the power of the first explanation is “tragic”, but unimportant here. This is a very educative post. The distinction of the two types of teleology is not new to me, it is included in value ontology (the self being the value one acts (values) to attain). I did not however know anything about this evolution of tragic drama. Indeed the introduction of an actor separates the audience from the action, and is therefore already a watering down of the intoxication, the vitality provided by the tragedy, and relativizes it’s impact on society. I very much like the idea of a choir, with a group of “not so innocent bystanders”, and an imagined Dionysos. The choir as the medium for the citizen to attain a Dionysian experience, which purges of the obstructions to living purely to attain life (the obstructions being moral and physiological, “restrictions”), without any extraneous telos.

For me… Toulousse Lautrec was the epitomy of what a tragic artist is, but I’m sure he would have preferred not to be…

The surrealists created masterpieces because they lived such tragic and haunted lives, and now their art is the priciest in the world and their best pieces hang in the corridors of The Hermitage where those lucky enough can gaze upon them.

Before I try to reply to the above, let me first make this perfectly clear:

When I said “the willing of the will to power is […] to power as the playing of the game is to the fun”, I did not mean the two “ofs” in the same grammatical sense; I did not mean “the willing of the will to power” in the sense that the will to power is the object of the willing (i.e., that the will to power is what is willed), but in the sense that a will to power is a willing to power, and that this willing is to power as playing is to fun. Likewise, Christoph Cox writes: “The ‘willing’ of will to power, Nietzsche writes, ‘is not “desiring,” striving, demanding’; rather, it is ‘[t]hat state of tension by virtue of which a force seeks to discharge itself’ (WP 668).” (Cox, Nietzsche: Naturalism and Interpretation, page 230.))

Has this been understood?

Except for the introductions of second and third actors, I suppose, it’s all in chapters 7 and 8 of The Birth of Tragedy.

You understand that, in primitive tragedy, there was no distinction between the chorus and the group of “not so innocent bystanders”, right? I can’t tell whether you mean “medium” in a literal or a metaphorical sense.