Obscure New Wave/Post Punk and Shoegaze

Hey, I love new wave and post punk bands. I’m into joy division AND new order, liliput, essential logic, chapterhouse, adorable, the list goes on … add me to lastfm if you’ve got it – last.fm/user/burningwaffles I was just looking for more because I’m a greedy gluttonous bastard who can’t sleep …

Also any good book recommendations on these genres and how they’ve evolved would be great. I am currently reading Daniel L Levitin’s “The World in Six Songs” and it’s blowing my mind… it’s about how music played and still plays a major role in the evolution of human beings, way more than we appreciate in modern culture.

New Order’s ‘Crystal’ :slight_smile: I think that pretty much says it all…

I like quite a bit of shoegaze, I think. Not the original style of shoegaze from the late 80s and 90s so much (My Bloody Valentine I definitely like), more the 2000s variety of shoegaze – Lotus Plaza for example.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnKAxCUx528[/youtube]

Holy craaap, thanks for posting the video, I’ve never heard anything like this before. :banana-dance: It’s the shoegaze feel + country because of that beautiful slide guitar, or WHATEVER IT IS. POST MORE and add me to last fm

Added you, i’m the 24 dude.
Lotus Plaza’s some pretty high-quality stuff. He plays guitar in Deerhunter, another modern (and far more popular) shoegazish band:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1JHdSBibO8[/youtube]

You gotta listen to this song to the end, it goes into a really awesome jam.

Looking at your last.fm charts, I think that our Venn Diagram, so to speak, of taste in music overlaps quite a bit.

I agree! I just saw some seefeel on your now play chart … my heart is currently singing :smiley:

SeeFeel made my top20 of 2011. You should check out my top20 lists, if you find anything you’d like to try I could certainly find it in my heart to…how do you say…“help you out”.

Currently checking it out. Albums I’ve heard and loved myself from the list include:

1)tune-yards - whokill
2)fleet foxes- helplessness blues (I only liked the track helplessness blues, I never listened to the entire album)
3) RADIOHEAD KING OF LIMBS, probably my favourite radiohead album now … go ahead and hate me … :stuck_out_tongue:
4) Health - Get Colour
5)Lotus Plaza - The Floodlight collective :wink:
6)Dan Decon - Bromst - (Only liked the one song snickerdoodle or whatever)

And YAY Battles!! I should really listen to glass drop, I loved atlas!!
And omg cocorosie, didn’t know they had any recent releases…
And I liked james blake for a hot minute, but they kept overplaying one of his songs in the internet world and i got sick of him quick
I love AC and Grizzly Bear, just haven’t heard their recent releases because I’ve been slacking, but clearly I should because the made your number 1 and 2 spots!

Do you listen to the needle drop by any chance? :smiley:

The album is not like his EPs, you’d be really surprised.

I don’t know about the Needle Drop. What’s that?
[edit] In fact I have seen some Needle Drop reviews on youtube. He and I probably have pretty similar taste. He reviews a lot of the stuff I like.

Yep he’s GREAT, check out www.theneedledrop.com. He got me thinking about music critically, and not just liking every song that came on the radio! I’m forever indebted to him, he has incredible taste, a good eye, discerning ears, and he’s cute too :wink: