The Avengers

Ok. I’ll be the first to say it but The Avengers is good. Or rather, it’s fun. I’m normally the first to dismiss comic book-films but this is just a damn good action flick - thank you Joss Whedon. I mean, the story itself is as simple as simple is. So be it. But, the monsters, and the fighting, and the shooting, and shit exploding on the the cinema screen is all what it’s about. However, I would say that the costumes are still a bit gay.And Loki and Black Widow as characters or maybe it’s the actor/actress are a bit weak, quite forgettable. And Thor just doesn’t cut it, maybe that’s the actor again. He’s just not as impressive as a god/demi-god should be. And his language just sounds out of place, not necessarily the language per se, but the way it’s delivered. his voice is too bland, too American maybe. Maybe someone theatre trained who also happens to be built like a brick shit-house i.e. big would be better…I don’t know. Minor gripes. Grapes.

I too am going to see this and will add my critque after the fact - i hope it IS good… and also on my movie watch-list is Tim Burton’s “Dracula”.

Everyone goes crazy about this films.

I watched thor and thought it was pretty lame.
Iron man 2 ? Awful.
Captain American? Had to turn it off after a while.

I think I’m gonna pass on super hero films for a while…

That’s my point. I think those films are shit too, but this one is actually quite good. Maybe it helps that there’s a bunch of superheroes, so the film isn’t all focused on just one character.

Yeah, after all the hype for Captain America… it was shit - all talk and no substance or action.

Come on… Iron Man wasn’t bad, it had himour and action.

Transformers smacks it every time… those cheeky robots in disguise.

Many in this genre turn out bad though - how can they reveal such tripe to the world :unamused:

The Avengers has its strengths and weaknesses. I watched it with my lady a couple days ago. She hadn’t seen any of the prior movies in the series, so I had to explain some stuff during the movie to her about what was going on with the various characters. Since then, we’ve started a spree of watching all the other movies in the series – just finished Iron Man 2, have yet to see Thor and Cpt America.

So, comparing the Iron Man films to The Avengers, this is what I have to say:

The Avengers has way more intense visuals. The bad guys are fucking AWESOME. Visually, it’s definitely better than the other movies in the series.
However, there is a couple inevitable problems with mixing so many front-men in the same movie. The Avengers, more than any other film in the series, has to cram in so much because of all the different characters that demand equal focus that the script consists of like 90% one-liners. At least with the other movies, there was enough time to let characters develop, have emotional dialog, connect with the characters, etc. In The Avengers, seriously, just way too many one-liners, stupid little kid jokes, stuff to make the jocks chuckle.

But, still entertaining.

How seriously can you really take emotional dialog with characters like Thor and Cpt. America though. I think where this film succeeds, and others like Rambo 4 and The Invincibles, is in not taking themselves too seriously, as a result, they can let the better elements take centre stage.

Perhaps, but in terms of the dialog and things like that, I definitely prefer Iron Man 2 and Thor for their moderate amount of one-liners to Avengers, in which one-liners are just going off like a machine gun. Like you say, it doesn’t matter that much because it’s an action movie, not somebody writing a drama trying to win Best Screenplay or something, but still.

I was looking forward to someone doing Captain America for years but when I saw the trailer, and the lead actor, I lost interest. Ironman, the first one, was great, it actually got me involved in the characters psychology, large part due to the nightmarish operation scene in the cave. Most superhero films lack that intensity.

Michael Bay as done no justice to Transformers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEdZ-yjxHLI[/youtube]

I left the cinema half way through Captain America - it was one of the lamest films I’ve ever (partially) seen. Iron Man One was just 1 1/2 hours of engineering followed by a mediocre fight. Never saw two. Watched half of Thor on DVD then turned it off to see what was on T.V.

The Dark Knight Rises comes out in July. The trailer for that is ten times more exciting than every marvel comic book movie put together. I’ll probably watch the Avengers this week but I’m not holding my breath.

I know I’m gonna get hate for this but I absolutely hated The Dark Knight. The first time I watched it, I lasted 30 minutes.
But since everyone seemed to think that the film was a masterpiece I gave it another shot and watched the whole thing a few months later.
Really awful.
I cannot understand, at all, how such a crappy film, which is not even average, gets so many accolades.

Me and number 1 son went to see Avengers last Sunday. Loved it. Best of the Marvel films so far.

Are you an action movie fan generally? If not, its understandable that you didn’t enjoy it. If you are, then I’m shocked!

I like a good action film but is just so happens that most action films suck. Same thing goes for comedies. Some genders are harder to pull off, I think.

Yeah, my hairy legs look terrible in a skirt.

Sorry.

Which ones do you like?

Taken comes to mind.

But I hated mission impossible ghost protocol for instance, a film that everyone is raving about.

:sunglasses:

Deserved. :laughing:

Mission Impossible was pretty bad.

I recommend a Brazilian ‘action’ film I watched recently called Man of the Year.

Yeah, or Elite Squad (Tropa de Elite) 1 & 2. They’re superb.