Wall Of Shadows

A brief preface for those who don’t know: I make rap/hip hop music with a small crew of friends. We call ourselves Troubled Mindz - consisting of me, Statik, and my partner Blix. You can hear some of our music HERE.

We had plans for a new project - a mix-tape called Wall Of Shadows [a reference to Plato’s allegory of the cave]. My philosophical influences have gradually become more apparent in the music, which is why I’d like to share my newest piece here–

Statik The Technician - Mr. Mystic

Unfortunately, the mix-tape effort had to be put on hold as my partner, Blix, was just sent on his 3rd deployment over-seas [he’s in the Army]. Most of the tracks remain half finished because I’m the only one with recording equipment at my disposal right now and communication has been extremely limited. So, this track is only me on the vocals; production by Blix. Comments and feedback are more than welcome, assuming anyone is actually interested in listening.

The track reminds me of dubstep allstars vol. 3. There are prominent instrumental tracks and the voice is heard vaguely. It is a great way to sneak in cool philosophy, like in the allstars album.

My suggestion: either go all the way and build a nice kind of dubsteppy beat (or at least a beat with more stuff going on rythmically, harmonically and melodically), or turn up the volume for the voice.

As for the subject matter, I’ll quote Robert Frost and hope it settles well with you:

Eh, not a Fan of Dubstep like Pezer, so I don’t agree with him on that bit, but yeah the vocals need to be louder, the beat overwhelms it.

Fellas,

Thanks for listening! And I really appreciate the feedback. I listen to these tracks so many times during the editing process that I often need to hear them on a different sound system in order to see how everything flows together. But you guys were absolutely right on this one, the vocals were far too low. I went in a did a bit more editing, so I hope this sounds better–

Statik - Mr. Mystic

And here are some others if anyone is interested–

Statik - Just A Dream

Statik - Sleepwalking

Statik - On & On

Troubled Mindz - Time After Time

Troubled Mindz - Speak Of What You Know

Troubled Mindz - Speak4Me

I’m not sure I understand…