_________'s Petty Contributions to Art

I figured I might as well post a little of my boring photography and half-assed illustrations, so here we go.

If All Else Fails, Maybe I Could Do Commercial Photography…

A Striking Shot, LOLZ!1 How Clever.

Round II…

Let The Sparks Fly.

One Note, Spelled L I T E.

Finally, two illustrations and I’ll leave you be for now.

Felix Guattari in graphite on plain 8.25" x 5.25" Moleskine. Yeah, I know I overworked the pupil, the hair is veritably cartoonish in contrast to the rest, and I was too lazy to finish either blacking in or properly fading out the bottom. So sue me. It’s on super-thin Moleskine paper and was only meant as an exercise to get back in the swing of things after not picking up a pencil for 18 months. Honestly, I’m think about burning it and trying again since I totally botched his facial geometry.

Alice Sara Ott in graphite and colored pencil on 17"x14" Strathmore ‘Sketch’. In progress, maybe at 5% and no plans on it being done anytime soon. I work on it for a few hours every Saturday. I may update this capture in June.

Your photography is pretty good. Your 1st drawing remind me of the kind of thing I used to draw – I really liked doing sorta textured, wrinkled faces. I did it in a very similar way to you as well.

Kudos for posting your work. Not much to say other than I like your illustration work. I intend on doing some more myself soon. Ahhh, but if only intentions were anything more…

I didn’t know you draw. Yeah, wrinkly faces are a lot easier to get right, though.

I think the facial distortions on Guattari make it extremely nice.

The distortions look intentional. The ordered wrinkles on his forehead, and the shadows on his face that seem to consume it, especially seem intentional.

The distortion through the glasses is intentional - ‘distortions’ anywhere else are merely poor artistry. The excessive shadow is half symbolism and half laziness…or is it?

Orchid with selective color…

You must have an OK camera to get that nice bokeh effect.
PM me if you’re interested in getting some high-quality free digital photo-editing/enhancing software and lessons.

About the glasses…shouldn’t they magnify his face? Did you do the opposite intentionally? I thought of them after I posted.

Ichthus: No, I used a photo I printed off as reference. It wasn’t the best resolution, so I had to do my fair share of guess work.

FJ: Between 42+ hours of piano and 50+ hours of work a week, I barely have time to get out and shoot much. I’m running Lightroom 3 right now and still need to learn how to take full advantage of it. Thanks for the offer, though.