Philosphy Now

The magazine rack at the local grociery store recently doubled in size (possibly due to Borders closing). Amongst the new magazine I came across Philosophy Now, which I had never heard of. Needless to say I bought the issue (April/May 2012 with Plato as the cover boy) and tore through it. All the articles were Interesting and, importantly, not written in a dense style that only an academic could comprehend.

Any fans (or detractors) of Philosphy Now?

Here is the magazine’s website. They have a discussion forum too.

philosophynow.org/

By the way, why is this in this forum?

I figured a post about a magazine, albeit a philosopy magazine, was more to do with general entertainment (i.e., print media) than a specific philosophical point of view lending itself to debate in the “philosophy” forum. At any rate, I’m glad I discovered the magazine and look forward to future editions. I was just wondering if anyone else was a fan of the magazine or had an opinion on it.

The forum is of a very low standard.

Can’t be much lower then this one.

knowthyself.forumotion.net/

^^ Come visit. We’re on safari at the moment. Philosophy Now is one of the hunting grounds…

I can’t stand your layout.

You should join and see the rest of the forum. The design might make more sense then. The Salon and sub-forums are for light weight bullshit. The Symposium demands a higher quality. The Dungeon is for human garbage. There is a hierarchy of quality demanded among the participants.

If you find nothing attractive there then don’t participate.

I already knew the forum and I haven’t joined mainly due to the layout and the way it is organized. Same thing goes for other philosophy forums out there.

Suit yourself.

But keep in mind that what so frustrates you here does not exist there. Know Thyself was founded as a response to the prevalent theme of internet forums: retardation indulged and promoted, quality restricted and punished; mass-participation in preference to intelligent discussion. Numbers as the arbiter of value.

My forum isn’t really a public forum in the same way. It’s a place where people keep in touch and keep a record of their … online conquests, if you like. Discussion in the Symposium is generally of a more rewarding sort, however.

Do you really think a varied clientele that PN is likely to have will be enticed over by such beauties as ‘Jews and blacks’ and other such derogatory threads :confused:

…and don’t worry… I’m not expecting a reply from you :wink:

You’d be surprised.

And might I add that an individual of such startling intellectual prowess and capacity as yourself would never be permitted outside our Dungeon. But there are different motivations going on here and you are an eloquent demonstration of those motivations.

KTS will attract the type of clientele that are naturally drawn to it… need I say more :confusion-shrug:

:smiley:

Yes, it will.

But please say more because I find it interesting that you used that thread as your example. I seem to recall that you are part Carib? Are you also part negro, or jewish?

…because that one thread alone would alienate the many.

I don’t know of any 1st or 2nd generation Caribbeans with Jewish ancestry due to the history of the islands, and not all Caribbeans have African ancestry as history lessons would have us believe… though there is nothing negative in having either of those bloodlines.

What is the ethnic demographics in Ireland like? I’ve never been, though most of my peers growing up were Irish… due to the RC schools I attended up until college.

Good. Are you seeing the difference between us yet? Consider what compromises are necessary to attract the many.

Well… the thread was discussing that Rothschild heiress who seems to have a fetish for negroes… Jews and Blacks - together. Ironic, I thought.

Thing is, do you accept that sometimes knowledge necessitates suffering; either in it’s pursuit or realization? That, to know thyself is not necessarily pleasant or rewarding but can be painful and very much a loss?

Some of us, Mags, value knowledge in spite of that necessity.

Northern European Barbarians. Celts, with a little germanic and scandinavian through invasions and colonisation.

Magazine looks ok

Yea I find ILP is the easiest forum to work with, some are just ugly and/or really difficult ~ and that’s just the moderators! :mrgreen:

/knowthyself if I remember it correctly, was good until I met an unintelligent Nazi, and there was no moderation on his language …that’s just unbearable.

Details would be nice. Your username/other’s username/etc. If you are uncertain whether it is my forum then follow the link in my sig.

If on the other hand you are simply dismissing another’s argument, then it is your fault for not being able to properly refute it, sweetheart.

think i used my former unsername here; quetzalcoatl

but i cant log on there now, so i cant find the thread, but i did see a jews and blacks thread, i mean seriously!

The policy is to delete members that don’t participate for several months in a row. Usually anyway. But I remember you, vaguely. You made good posts.

If you have a problem with certain ideas, then I urge you to rejoin and address them. No thought should be unthinkable and in the same way no argument that you see a fault in should be left unrefuted.