A Game: Movie Mad Gab

Movie Title variant of the popular game Mad Gab:

1. using only common English words, no proper nouns, sound out a movie title
  2. someone guesses the title – puts guess in next subject line
  3. then either a) gives the next clue or b) passes, in body of text – if passes, anyone can respond with next clue

PLEASE use movies that at least 50% of players might be expected to know…

example:
Clue: MOORED ERRAND HE YORE EON TICKS PRESS
Answer: Murder On the Orient Express

1st Real Clue:
DEB ORE NIGHT DENT EDDY

Is it From Russia with Love?

I’ll admit, I don’t understand this game.

Sorry – I should have clarified that this game is strictly phonetic –

If you say
DEB ORE NIGHT DENT EDDY out loud, it sounds something like
“The Bourne Identity”

Next Clue:
DEB ORE KNOLL TOMATO HUMM

Oooh, oooh, oooh, I know, I know, its… um… Inception?

What do I win?

AP HUN CHIN DEN OWES? =D>

You’re good at this. I’ve spent the last 2 1/2 minutes trying to think how to do one for A Scanner Darkly, but I can’t, so here’s my favourite clip from it instead:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J5FWEre07w[/youtube]

Sorry if I’m being frustrating, I’m not particularly good at games.

Cute video clip from:

ASK SKIN HERD ARE GLEE

I’ve never heard of that film but will check it out. Sometimes titles you think should be easy are the hardest. I’ve never been able to do Gone With The Wind.

Our family’s played Mad Gab for years; it gets easier with practice. If you really have trouble at first, but you want to play, you can always guess the clues and then “pass”.

A similar game which I never could play is Win, Lose or Draw. Even if I could draw, which I can’t, I can’t come up with ideas to draw. On my best day, I could never have done this (WLD legend Martin Mull in the Speed Round) – he is a god at this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSyAJPvgGnM

Oh well, always leave 'em with a clue:

DEAF AMP HIRED IRE EASE

The Vampire Diaries

MUTE IN EON DEB BOUND TEA

(ok, I cheated a little)

How did you cheat? Looks like a clean clue to me.

Mutiny on the Bounty

Next (a little tricky, but well known movie):

MIST ERRAND COMB INTER

what’s your nationality? (thinking of accents and how this might affect pronounciation)

And while I am waiting for a clue that will likely not help me, I’ll go back to one of the easier ones…

The Bourne Ultimatum

and now mine…
THUG RINSE OWN

(which seem like a little more advanced then my other one, or perhaps it really is cheating, let me know.

I haven’t guessed it yet, but looks like a good clue. It’s fun to use challenging clues, ones that take a little more time to guess. My nationality: American, in the redneck South. Yours?

In the Mad Gab box game, one of the game tips given is to say every syllable with the same emphasis (no accented syllables), say them all together moderately quickly in a near-monotone, and be sure you pronounce all the consonants, don’t drop any. There may be a vowel or consonant or syllable slightly off from the original, but when said together in a moderately quick monotone, you can hear the answer.

(Which is how I finally just got “The Green Zone”, saying it in medium quick monotone over and over and over)

Try that with MIST ERRAND COMB INTER – say all your consonants (except, of course, the silent “b” in “comb”)

double check on vowel sounds:
mist with a short “i” sound as in “fist” or “missed” –
errand: “err” as in pear, bear-- “rand” as in “and” or “sand”.
“comb” as in honeycomb, home, gnome.
“inter” could also be “enter”: “in” as in win or tin --“ter” as in stir or fur

This one is slightly challenging but it’s one of my favorite movies, so…

Northeast, though I am pretty fluent in other English Language accents, less so redneck south, though I have spent some time around it. Not sure it helps me, but I’ll try my mental stereotype accent and see if I get a new angle.

Thanks for the tips, still haven’t got it. Unfortunately I often hear Agent Smith saying Mister Ander… when I start that one.

But just to add to complexity…

It could be Mister, Ms, (missed), Miss
as the first word.

And no doubt others…

Samm, my husband and long time Mad Gab opponent, hasn’t gotten that clue yet either. He’s going to post here in a minute or two with his ideas. It must be harder than I thought…

I got it. Master and Commander.

I gotta rush and I have not polished this one but I’ll leave you with it…

THUS HOW SHAN CREED AMPS HUN

I took some liberties: shan is a group of tribes.

I think the ‘i’ in mist is pretty different from the a in Master. Though I think it works perfectly in Scottish English.

but here’s a challenge - not that I can even fully do the basics yet.

The clue has to be a complete grammatical sentence also.

MAY TRICKS

is a poor example since it really begs for a direct object. But you get the idea. May being a person.

The words have to work as sounds from the film TITLE, but also the words have to work as a grammatical sentence. I’ll see if I can come up with a better one…

THOU WAS HARD OF US

does not quite make it, but it’s approaching grammatical.

And here’s a bad one that makes me laugh…

I LOAN SOME or even the past tense I LOANED SOME

(as an aside: TEQUILA MAWK EMBER RED)

Another competition is who can come up with a one word clue that covers the most words from a film. I’ll try to come up with an example of that one also.

The Shawshank Redemption.
Matrix.
To Kill A Mockingbird.

The 2 I can’t get yet (working on it).
Thou was hard of us.
I loan(ed) some.

The Island?

Still working on:
Thou was hard of us.

May need a hint on that one (or 2nd clue).

Samm’s answer for Thou was hard of us: The Wizard of Oz.

Not a complete sentence, but a fun one (this is an OLD classic film):
DECAFFINATE TOUGHED HOCKED ORC ALLEGORY

is very good. It made no money despite having a very attractive cast, that’s how good it is. It does have KEY ARE NEWER EAVES in it in the central role, but he’s alright in this flick. Still acted off the screen by everyone, as per usual.