The Empire Strikes Back

Simple curiosity, why do a lot of Star Wars enthusiasts think that the Empire Strikes Back is the best of the original trilogy? Is it the Darth Vader revelation? Is it Yoda’s introduction and the commencement of Jedi master training? All good stuff to be sure. Maybe it is strongest piece of the trilogy. For a sequel it rocks all expectations. It makes a compelling expansion of the storyline solidifying the case for a trilogy, and quality trilogy at that. I always favored Return of the Jedi, though. My favorite scenes from the entire series are the ones at the end with the Emperor, Vader and Luke. Luke completing his training with Yoda and his final confrontation with the Emperor and Vader is a worthy culmination that solidifies the entire trilogy as great.

Anybody want to make their case for The Empire Strikes Back?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5iRmPBve80[/youtube]

It’s funny, no one ever says Episode IV: A New Hope is the best Star Wars movie. It certainly isn’t Return of the Jedi - it’s far too kiddified what with the Ewoks (George Lucas with his eye on the kids toy market) and the denial of the inevitable Ewok holocaust that would have resulted from the destruction of the second death star. The final show down between Luke, Vader and the Emperor is pretty good, but I actually prefer the showdown between Obi Wan and Vader at the end of episode 3 where they’re running about on the lava world having the world’s most irresponsible sword fight.