I make electronic music.

soundcloud.com/rafajafar

Most people do not see the art in it. A lot of people say it has no soul. I put a lot of detail, time, and care into these songs, so of course I disagree.

What are your thoughts on EDM?

I love electronic music. I’m not sure how much of it counts as ‘dance music,’ but certainly some of it does. I’m not in a position to listen to it now, but I will soon. You’re worth it :laughing:

Here’s my list of my favorite 20 albums of this year.
At least 8 of them have significant/primary electronic instrumentation.

[edit]____
listened to the first three. I like how layered they are. Sounds like you give each sample a lot of attention, even your drum tracks. I like that.

You might like some of the stuff on my link above. Try Purity Ring - Lofticries (you can find it on youtube)

I think it does sound less human, which is bad, but more representive of changes in society, which will probably be appreciated later. Bionic people will love it. Maybe eat it for breakfast.

I think that, on the whole, you’re probably right. Most stuff labeled ‘techno’, for example, suffers from the lack of human-ness imo.
However, I do think that the good electronic music is able to overcome that. Especially as a lot of the stuff I like very artfully incorporates vocal samples or slightly off-time beats etc. Many artists also deliberately filter their beats/samples/whatever through things like tapes, vinyl, or programs which simulate things like that to add a touch of that analog feel, which often has a significant effect on making it more human.

It’s more difficult to infuse humanity into electronic music, but it’s not impossible, and when it’s done skillfully the rewards are amazing. I think at one time I would have also said that electronic music sounds less human, but by now I’ve just found so much very human electronic music that I can’t think that again.

fuck those guys, that’s what. they wouldn’t know good music if it killed their wives. I make electronica as well

I play real instruments.

I love it. When good, I think it has a different kind of ‘soul’. What I dislike most about electronic/digital music is people tend to let the equipment dictate how the track will sound rather than write the music and then use the equipment to capture it.

In other words, most ED musos seem to find a good sound and/or rhythm then repeat it adnauseum (with minor tweaks) to fill out the 5 minutes. Just because a machine can loop doesn’t mean you have to loop everything. I think most ED musos limit themselves by being slaves to the techniques and style and not thinking about sounds first, then using a variety of tools to paint the sounds in.

I really liked your tracks, Rafajafar. Some of the sounds (especially) were delicious.

I quite enjoy that you wade through diff. genres, as I do that myself too, hehe. Quite nice SC page you got yourself there.

It depends what you’re making. Different types of EDM require different equipment. Some equipment may be optional for you. The most basic setup includes simply a MIDI keyboard, an interfacing sound card to the computer like the Echo AudioFire or similar device, and a DAW (digital audio workstation) like Ableton, Cubase, or Sonar. You might want to also get a sound editor like Sound Forge or WaveLab as well. =D>