What do you like in films ?

Like specific things.

For instance, I love narration when it’s done by the main character. When the film starts with the main character doing some narration, I know it’s gonna be a good film. Examples: Thank you for smoking, Alfie (the remake) and the tv show dexter.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQydroqGFbA[/youtube]

I also love when the film breaks the 4th wall, there’s nothing cooler then that.
Annie Hall is a perfect example of that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpIYz8tfGjY[/youtube]

Another thing that I really like is montages. For instance, the man character is narrating something, talking about certain people and the faces of those people pop up in the screen. A good example of this is the following scene from 25th hour:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Za2k5wA3sk[/youtube]

So yeah, narration, breaking the 4th wall and montages.
What about you guys ?

I like a consistent mood. I also like movies with little or no music. Nothing against music in movies, but most directors don’t know how to do it and they make their movies unwatchable.

I also like movies that aren’t mean-spirited. It’s amazing to me how many comedies, for instance, are just mean.

Realism and honesty. Characters that I believe.

When I was younger, I often thought about if I were an invisible being that needed nothing to sustain itself, and could float through the world, just following people, exploring new environments, without feeling any responsibility or fear… just endless curiosity.

Sometimes films give me that experience. It’s escapism 101, because I lose my identity. I’m just an eye.

Absurdity.

I like films (and any kind of stories) that sit across several genres. I recently saw Troll Hunter, which is part mockumentary, part monster/horror, part satire on Norwegian bureaucracy. It is a brilliant watch, the best film I’ve seen since Margin Call, the last film that was so good that I told everyone to watch it. And make sure to watch it in the original Norwegian with subtitles because the English voice dubbing is awful.

I like the quirky… so think Hellboy, Tim Burton productions, cool sci-fi, and action-thrillers…

The Hellboy films were pretty good. Just the right mix of clever and silly.

Unlike anon, I need good music in a film - preferably to the point that it transports me to a different state of consciousness.

To me, music is the superior artform. Films should be adding to their music if they have any, what with the extra visual elements, engaging plot and soforth, but sadly I find these extras too often detract from the music - and even if they don’t, I find that films lack the longevity of a perfect piece of music. I’ve never seen a perfect film. I enjoy twists that I don’t see coming, but films that rely on this are only enjoyable to the same extent once.

Haha, that clip was hilarious!

I’m not a big fan of films or TV in general. Those with a good, intelligent dialogue or musical score are sometimes ok.

So what would you say is a good film/films to suit your tastes Maia? Do the Tim Burton productions appeal? as they’re usually full of chorus and song…

Having just finished watching American History X reminds me of my liking for the ‘gritty’ too… films that make one think and feel, and makes us question ourselves and those around us - lesson learned after first watching AHX? don’t ever leave it too long to change.

What did Tim Burton do?

I quite liked Lord of the Rings (though the middle one was quite boring), a good musical score and interesting dialogue. But to be honest, I doubt if I could have followed it had I not been familiar with the book.

Tim B produced such off-beat films as Sleepy Hollow, The Corpse Bride, Sweeney Todd, Edward Scissor Hands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Big Fish, Batman Returns, Planet of the Apes, James and the Giant Peach, Mars Attacks, Alice in Wonderland… and probably anything that involves morbid singing, maniacal laughter, and Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter (Tim’s wife)

I do receognise some of those names. I’ve sat through a number of films round at friends’ houses, lol.

Good music in a film is something I actually value quite highly, which is why music so often completely ruins a film. Think Blade Runner for how music can be a positive and essential part of a film’s identity. Or for a quick jolt of excellence in this respect, just watch the trailer for the French film “L’Intrus”, directed by Claire Denis:

youtube.com/watch?v=aVLze00ViPo

See also: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=176839&p=2253652&hilit=+music#p2252829