Post your favorite pieces of art here.

god i wish i could be there right now - but alone.

escalatorsm.jpg
Something about this just grabs me. i love Scott Mutter’s work.

Alma Tadema, Love Votaries

Vladimir Mukhin.

Post your favorite pieces of art here?

Do you mean all arts, or merely visual arts?

If you mean all arts, then I post a piece of music: “A Passion Play” (1973) by Jethro Tull.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWtV4DACpVg[/youtube]

If you mean merely visual arts, then I post this: “Felsenschlucht” (“Rocky Gorge”) (about 1822) by Caspar David Friedrich.

That somehow reminds me of words which Rumi’ might have uttered.

And there was fun to be had by all. :laughing:

@ Lys

Why is Caspar D. Friedrich your favourite painter? :slight_smile:

Is it narcissistic of me to post my own drawing as a current favorite?

Yes. But never mind because it makes no sense anyway.

“THICK AS A BRICK” (1972) by Jethro Tull.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBpW0ksE-k[/youtube]

He captures the Daimonic in his atmospheres.

It’s only narcissistic if it’s bad.

And is it bad in your opinion?

:laughing:

Here’s where the narcissism comes in, you see:
If you liking it is highly dependent on the fact that you created it, then there’s definitely an element of narcissism in there.
If, on the other hand, you can honestly say ‘If it was created by someone else and I saw this picture on an art gallery wall, it would be one of my favorites’ then it’s potentially just a genuine, non-narcissistic, realistic opinion of your own work.

So it’s not about my opinion, it’s about yours. You just have to honestly ask yourself how closely tied are the facts that you created it and that it’s one of your favorites.

This is now officially my favorite piece of art.

There’s an extra twist you have to throw into that. Most artists create what they think is good to begin with. A painting of a beautiful sunrise, for example, is the product of an artist who was inspired one morning by that very sunrise. This needs to be painted, he thought. So he’s going to like it, not necessarily because he created it, not necessarily because he recognizes his own talents, but because of what the painting represents to him.

That being said, if I saw my own artwork in an art gallery, I’d probably like the overall image it conveyed though I think my technical skills as an artist could use some work. But my motives for posting it here were that I just finished it and I was proud of it and wanted to show it off. ← I guess that makes me narcissistic but in my defense, it’s the thread title which suggests it’s a personal favorite and, well, I had to present it as such in order to justify posting it here.

I dunno… I like my art.

That’s just one man’s perspective, gib. I don’t think that it’s narcisstic to put that in here. The thread does say to post your favorite pieces of art here. I see nothing wrong with that being your favorite or your current favorite.

What does it represent to you though, gib? Off the top of my head, I don’t know what it represents to you but it does something, right? I would say that this is where aesthetics comes in. Like trying to find meaning and understanding in any work of art, a poem, whatever…how it speaks to us.