Post your favorite pieces of art here.

That somehow reminds me of words which Rumi’ might have uttered.

And there was fun to be had by all. :laughing:

@ Lys

Why is Caspar D. Friedrich your favourite painter? :slight_smile:

Is it narcissistic of me to post my own drawing as a current favorite?

Yes. But never mind because it makes no sense anyway.

“THICK AS A BRICK” (1972) by Jethro Tull.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvBpW0ksE-k[/youtube]

He captures the Daimonic in his atmospheres.

It’s only narcissistic if it’s bad.

And is it bad in your opinion?

:laughing:

Here’s where the narcissism comes in, you see:
If you liking it is highly dependent on the fact that you created it, then there’s definitely an element of narcissism in there.
If, on the other hand, you can honestly say ‘If it was created by someone else and I saw this picture on an art gallery wall, it would be one of my favorites’ then it’s potentially just a genuine, non-narcissistic, realistic opinion of your own work.

So it’s not about my opinion, it’s about yours. You just have to honestly ask yourself how closely tied are the facts that you created it and that it’s one of your favorites.

This is now officially my favorite piece of art.

There’s an extra twist you have to throw into that. Most artists create what they think is good to begin with. A painting of a beautiful sunrise, for example, is the product of an artist who was inspired one morning by that very sunrise. This needs to be painted, he thought. So he’s going to like it, not necessarily because he created it, not necessarily because he recognizes his own talents, but because of what the painting represents to him.

That being said, if I saw my own artwork in an art gallery, I’d probably like the overall image it conveyed though I think my technical skills as an artist could use some work. But my motives for posting it here were that I just finished it and I was proud of it and wanted to show it off. ← I guess that makes me narcissistic but in my defense, it’s the thread title which suggests it’s a personal favorite and, well, I had to present it as such in order to justify posting it here.

I dunno… I like my art.

That’s just one man’s perspective, gib. I don’t think that it’s narcisstic to put that in here. The thread does say to post your favorite pieces of art here. I see nothing wrong with that being your favorite or your current favorite.

What does it represent to you though, gib? Off the top of my head, I don’t know what it represents to you but it does something, right? I would say that this is where aesthetics comes in. Like trying to find meaning and understanding in any work of art, a poem, whatever…how it speaks to us.

coolvibe.com/tag/japan/page/3/

Not all my drawings mean anything on their own–this one means very little–but collectively they mean something very significant to me: I try to confuse the viewer a little. I’m into surrealism and psychedelia and I try to present an image to the viewer that is in a state of limbo between obvious meaning and total meaninglessness. I try to induce the impression of “that’s meaningless… but wait a minute, is it? Could that aspect or that element mean such-and-such?” But it’s the viewer’s own invented meaning that I want projected onto the image, which means that the image itself must be devoid of any inherent meaning that I put in there.

So I tend to refrain from expressing any particular meaning with any one individual drawing, but like said, the whole collection represents something very meaningful to me: we create our own reality, and the material out of which we create it is given to us from the “other”–without our projected meaning, this material, on it’s own, would seem like a bizarre, random, and even frighteningly surreal acid trip–but our minds organize it and infuse it with meaning so as to make it manageable and mundane.

Come to think of it, I think Question Mark does represent something to me: my unwillingness to take sides, or to blind myself to one piece of the tapestry by delving into another. I’d rather remain fixed at the center, like the pivot around which ying and yang revolve. I accept no answers to life’s questions–I remain agnostic–for to accept an answer is to reject its opposites, which renders me blind to them. As for the girls and the lightning bolt and the Ace-like structure of the picture, those are just frivolous ornaments.

BTW, you’re pink tree looks beautiful. In the background, it looks like destruction–something very glooming or depressing, maybe death–which is a nice contrast with the brightly colored tree, perhaps representing the triumph of life amidst death.

Night Breach.jpg

Amazing - are we really more special or more than they are?

I just realized something… this picture I drew is the first in the whole series to represent what the series itself represents… woaw.

It’s the first drawing I made in 4 years. I took the time out to draw it explicitly to replace my previous avatar, the “Most Interesting Man in the World”. ← So it represents myself, I guess.

A girl with a mirror, Titian 1515.

Lot fleeing Sodom, Benjamin West, 1810.

Is that Titian in the background holding the chocolate bar? What is that he is actually holding anyway?
And why is the painting called “A girl with a mirror” since clearly, it is the guy holding the mirror. And why is he left out of the title? Is that Titian?

I wonder if Lot’s wife ever regretted looking back? Sometimes it’s a good thing to know where we’ve come from - unless it’s going to turn us into a lump of stone.