Damned good chili

As a thumb rule, if you put anything sour, cooking time would increase manytimes, even with common things like potatos.

Beans should not be cooked directly otherwise they will take too much time to cook.
The easiest way is to soak them in lukewarm water with some salt for 12 hours.
Even after that, they need about 45 min in the pressure cooker to be cooked properly.
Secondly, beans need three time more water than their own volume.

with love,
sanjay

So my chemistry degree tells me. I keep asking for proof, but I find the arguments flimsy. :wink:

mmmm That sounds good.

I usually put in three different kinds, as the receipt says. Black is one of my favorites. I also like great northern white and navy. I never put in pinto if I can avoid it.

I’ll try spicy breakfast sausage next time, that sounds good.

Sanjay, I must disagree about beans. The only reason to presoak them is if you cannot monitor the cooking or do not have a crockpot or slow cooker. Presoaked beans do not have the superior flavor or texture that slow cooked beans have and if soaking I would omit the salt, it adds an undesirable flavor or potential for too much salty flavoring, plain water is best. If you know what you are doing adding the recipe’s spices to the soaking water can enhance the beans.

Kris,

Presoaking has nothing to do with monitoring. Its only reason is reduce the cooking time.
And, it is done not only with beans but all hard things those take a lot of time in cooking like chickpeas (both of brown and white). You have to presoake even the black lentels (whole, not crushed) otherwise they will not cook properely either.

Secondly, only a very little quantity of salt is required while presoaking so that does not have any impact on the taste. That also use to be done to increase the softening process. The same is applicable to lukewarm water also. Though, you can avioid both if you want.

You need not to monitor anything while pressure cooking, if you have some experience. My wife never does. With experience, one can know the cooking time of diferent things.

As far as i know, brown chickpeas take the maximum time; 12 hours of presoaking and about 75 min of pressure cooking.

with love,
sanjay

I guess its a matter of preference. Where I grew up slow cooking was done. I do prefer the taste and texture. Two day soups, stew and chili are normal or were back when I was growing up. My family still prefers it when I put such food together. My husband and son help to monitor the food all day or two day. Its all preference.
It also may have something to do with communal activity. A family project, aside from actual taste and textures the enjoyment of family or friends working together for a meal time adds a spice to it.

Even bean cooking methods get debated at ILP. I love it.

Kris,

As a thumb rule, i agree with you that the slower you cook, the tastier it would be.
And, my congratulations for having such a good family.
May things would be the same for you, ever.

with love,
sanjay

mr,

I think that is OK for once in a while.
Furthermore, it is AM&E secion as well.

with love,
sanjay

Near as I can tell, bean cooking methods are every bit as important as philosophy.

Perhaps, our dear friend mr may not be fond of beans that much.

with love,
sanjay

Thank you but, I also included cooking with friends. A weekend feast with friends is a must every so often in the Southwest of USA. Slow cooking over a Mesquite fire and in the kitchen, tents pitched, a lot of food and drink just to celebrate friends. Games are a big part too. You need to try this type of celebration. It does not have to be a big group, a small group or few is often the best.

That sounds great.

But, unfortunately, here in India, there is no concept of weekends except some central govt depts, where saturdays are also off.

Most self employed persons would have to work for their bread and butter for 365 days. Although, private and state govt jobs have sundays off but no body wants to come out from the homes on holidays, especially in meteros.
All they want is to take rest and no guests are welcome either.

By the way, we do not have weekly payment system either, but monthly only.

with love,
sanjay

Sanjay, I love beans.

That is great as beans are very healthy and cheap source of protine, fiber and iron. And, they decrease the risk of heart attack too.

with love,
sanjay

Sanjay, The only days off that I had last year was weather related about 3 days worth, thats about average if that.
So I understand fully. I do love my job and that is a boon.
But, surely you are friends with nieghbors? If so an enjoyable interaction can be done by taking turns on monitoring and making a communal spot for it. We call this a block party. Its a break from routine and can be relaxing and refreshing mentally. Cooking food, eating it socially has historically world wide been a way to bring neighbors together.

Eric, I am from the Sonoran desert area. I remember some damn good versions of chili, stew. Skip Texmex and look for fish chili if you want something good. I never learned the recipe but, surely there has to be something online. I do regret not learning some of my favorite foods. I live in Mississippi now and cannot get home to eat those foods, plus my skills suck compared to real cooks. :slight_smile:

I shall!!!

Fish chili… I’ll have to do it at home and not with friends though. One friend is allergic to fish, an other, shell fish… It makes me cry. I love both…

I’m getting better, cooking is a hobby that I’ve picked up. I still have the odd burnt food, like tonight’s burgers, but I’m one of the best of all my friends and family…

Yes, i have two very close friends since childhood.
We also have very good relations with two of our neighboring families and exchange our foods with them sometimes.

Still, this concept of social get togather is not very popular in India. We prefer to stick to the family usually but occasions like marriages and deaths mean too much for us. Almost all relatives, or at least one from each relative family must come and stay for some days with the hosts.
You can call it family get together if you want.

with love,
sanjay

It can be fun and relaxing.
Burgers lend themselves to a very gourmet meal. If you get a chance ,practice with lamb, pork or turkey. Lamb is the hardest to get right but, so worth it. You don’t find mutton in the USA but sheep burgers are darn fine too if done right. Generally medium rare. Spices vary greatly according to taste. I recall a fantastic French style mutton burger, darned if I recall the details, it was about 2 decades back.
Oh a chili burger stuffed in a pablano chili with a good Mexican cheese as a topping…
Ok now I am hungry… :slight_smile:

Lamb is actually really easy to get in Colorado. My local Grocery carries it… Don’t even have to go to the more difficult places. And there is a place in Downtown Denver that carries a Lamb Burger on the normal menu, Paramount Cafe. It’s really good.

[size=85](edits are for stupid spelling mistakes.)[/size]